been away and now got a problem....

p24-1953

well, what can I say they made these cars too reliable. For the past 6 or so months the car has been nothing but problem free. go out pull the choke turn the key and take off. it has been fantastic. the wife and i have even taken it on several longer 100+ mile trips. unfortunatly when things are going so smoothly you start to take the forum for granted. Well the old gal has sent me back to the collective wisdom of the forum. today after going to church I noticed a slight puddle of anti- freeze below her and sure enough she is leaking from 2 freeze plugs one on each side of the distributor. what do i need to do to change them? how hard it is? can it be done with the engine in the car? What else should i look for? (the other ones that i can see look good.)

thanks in advance and i hope you will all take me back.

Should be a easy fix for you, the engine can stay in the car. When you take out the old plugs stick a hose in one of them and flush out the block. It may be tough to set the new plugs not a lot of clearance to swing a hammer. Also be sure you use a good sealer when you set them in. Also try and cover up the bottom of the oil fill tube so no water will get into the pan.

i dont know it looks like the are leaking from the center of the plug not the outside edge. so i dont know if sealant will fix this.

it will, if you remove the leaking plug completely. hose the inside as much as possible to remove all the debris that you may not be able to get at it again...then you put a new plug and hammer it in. but put some sealant on the new plug to make sure it seals properly. there are several thread about this welch plugs....or freeze plugs.:)

With all the problems I've read on this forum about engines running hot and coolant passageways being clogged, I would think that dumping sealant into the engine is not the way to go.

You now have the excuse to pull those offending plugs and clean out some of the gunk that is in that block. Don and Mackster are right on the money.

Use the search feature and you'll find many threads that discuss replacing these plugs. It's not that difficult and it is the proper fix.

With all the problems I've read on this forum about engines running hot and coolant passageways being clogged, I would think that dumping sealant into the engine is not the way to go.

You now have the excuse to pull those offending plugs and clean out some of the gunk that is in that block. Don and Mackster are right on the money.

Use the search feature and you'll find many threads that discuss replacing these plugs. It's not that difficult and it is the proper fix.

+1 Agreed

awww shucks I assumed the plugs were leaking from the perimeter. A leak from anywhere else on the surface of the plug is a sure sign of a need for replacement.

Besides, the radiator sealant only works well for small leaks or pinholes as a coagulant of sorts. I don't recommend it for sealing a block coolant passage, but only reeeally tight spaces like radiators & freeze plugs. Definitely back flush the block when replacing the freeze plugs.