very off topic-trying to start old chebby

1just4don

been gone all winter,last fall and all of what spring we have. Broke my leg in a very short fall last Oct. Doc told me probably wont walk again or very well if at all. I drug both bones above the ankle in the dirt when falling off a step ladder.

After tremendous physical therapy and alot of care by my kids for their invalid father,,I am back and working 4 to 5 hours a day, walking well when rested and slight limp after work.

Anyway right before the fall I bought my dream 69 Camaro that has turned into a sorta mess. it is a 350 that somebody put a hack job electronic ignition on it (very poor job of it) and car last fall wouldnt start after stopping at a car wash for a quick rinse. been cold and wet here and it wont start at all now

Course a rain storm every few minutes when a cloud passes doesnt help this non water loving car. Is there some place to start to make this a normal reliable "running"in any weather car???

took all day but finally got her running again. Put new plugs in it as old ones were -old. Drained all the gas out of it I put in last fall (painful). Went and got 2 cans of premium without ethanol (hard to find). all it would do is cough and backfire thru carb. Even a few fires burned. Then my helper says what the hay, we will try timing. Bingo the distributor came loose mysteriously over winter and turned itself.

Question- when taking off from a dead stop it coughs and backfires thru carb while in first gear. Hard too take off from a stop sign. Always was this way also,,,any suggestions where to look???

guy at auto parts store says a new carb is in order. He recommends a holly over the Edlebrock in there now. I said I had a 780 holly of a 69 z-28,,he was amazed. I tried it out today,,,leaked badly from most everywhere. Or do they quit leaking after they soak up some gas???

also we had a BAD hailstorm and got a few minor dents and lost windsheild. Anyone here tried the heat gun followed by dry ice???