Lowering blocks. who has 3 inches?

mackster

i want to run three inch lowering blocks on my plymouth then i will cut the front springs...im wondering if anyone is running them like that?

If you have one pair to sell let me know. i much rather deal with friends than evil-bay! I got four inch blocks on the desoto but i think it will be too much for the plymouth. i feel three should be fine! :)

I've got 2" blocks & one coil cut..........3" would be a bit too low, methinks.........andyd

post-1938-1358536078644_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585360786824_thumb.jpg

post-1938-1358536078722_thumb.jpg

i'm riding on 3" blocks and i like it, i have a picture on my profile.

edit: got the upload to work again, here goes:

2wr13ee.jpg

i bought mine at Night Prowlers, since they stock the narrow ones needed for mopar leaf springs.

if i recall right it was something around 50$ or so including bolts...

Edited by Cpt.Fred

I think it depends on what look you're trying to achieve. I went for 3" in the rear & 1 coil up front. I think it looks right. I made the blocks out of some aluminium offcuts we had lying around at work. I also made some 4" blocks for a mate's 53 Chebby sled. It sat super low to the point where he had trouble getting out of his driveway. I reckon 4" is too low.

Here's a pic of how mine sits. It's a bit rough at the moment due to some recent work.

All those cars shown above are very nice. I'm jealous!

post-7020-1358536079492_thumb.jpg

riffraff, wow!:)

deathbound, looks great!

the only thing one should not forget is that with 3" blocks

the assembly reaches the lower limit of the rim, so if you blow

a tire you get into trouble.

i will loose the blocks as soon as possible and have my leafs remanufactured

to equal the 3" lowering.

another point is the forces your drive shaft applies to the rear end

result in an unhealthy tilting effect when you have the axle sitting high up on

the blocks. this may not be a problem with a flattie in the front,

but with a V8 i'd certainly avoid using blocks. remember the leafs are the only thing guiding the rear axle on the cars.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put 3" block on about an hour ago on my 49 plymouth.

Seems to sit nicely, and driving it around the block once, rides, well, though you wouldn't want to go over any large bumps fast. Noticed that a very slight interference from the part of the exhaust that goes up over the axle.

I think my exhaust sits a bit too far forward as it is. Easy fix.

but yes, the bottom of the leaf spring pack is below the scrub line.

post-6553-13585361349012_thumb.jpg

post-6553-13585361349796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Franklyn49

did you ever get around to cutting coils up front?

how did it go?

I havent done much to it. i got a shipment of stuff this week, but we also had two deaths in the family and a short trip to the ER room. but im getting back at it this weekend! what blocks did you use and where did you get them from?

I lowered my street rod with the intentions of riding the road with more comfort then stock. I think I came close however it was done with more then blocks I ordered springs from a company called "Posie's" they are in all the magazines. These guy know their stuff. I got the front down with 2" spindles and I used a 2 inche block and removed a leaf from the spring. It came out perfecrt. I had to do a little geometry work on the rear to get it to angle right. once these things were done the car was great and handles right. The one thing I noticed was the block must be the same diameter as the spring and the "eye" on the block must fit in the spring for stablitiy.

post-55-13585361356377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rodney Bullock

I lowered my street rod with the intentions of riding the road with more comfort then stock. I think I came close however it was done with more then blocks I ordered springs from a company called "Posie's" they are in all the magazines. These guy know their stuff. I got the front down with 2" spindles and I used a 2 inche block and removed a leaf from the spring. It came out perfecrt. I had to do a little geometry work on the rear to get it to angle right. once these things were done the car was great and handles right. The one thing I noticed was the block must be the same diameter as the spring and the "eye" on the block must fit in the spring for stablitiy.

Which spring in the pack did you remove? One of the long ones or a short one? Thinking about the same thing on my 49.

Thanks!!

I removed the smallest one. It made such a difference. The blocks (3inches) almost raised the car up. We could not understand it. We took the small leaf out and it dropped the car nice. The ride was not compermised.

My car sits real good now and the stance is not so low that you can't jack it up.

My T-bird has not been lowered however it gives the illusion that it has:cool:

post-55-13585361395938_thumb.jpg