easiest assigment for a 25 inch long block owner!

mackster

I just went out a measured the one form my 1956 25" 228CUin motor...it's 15 7/8" from the bottom of the bell (cap at the top of the dipstick) to the bottom tip. I then measured the one on my 1948 25" 251cu-in motor. It's 16 1/4" from top cap to bottom. It does not have the bell like the 228 does. If you take into account that the bell slips over the dipstick tube about 1/4" then the two measurement are almost identical at 16 1/8" long.

I will do the same in the morning Mackster, I do know I have 2 that are different lengths for the 25 inch blocks.

Not sure why that is, could it be the input tube length dictates the dip stick length....

Edited by Rockwood

I measured the one in my 50 Chrysler 251 and it's 15" seated in the bell. The dip stick tube is attached to the oil pan....not the block.

I also have a Long block 236 from a 46-47 1.5 ton and it measures 17 1/8" fully seated. The dip stick tube is attached to the block, not the oil pan.

To be sure drain and refill your pan with the proper amount of oil and then insert a dip stick and mark it. You can buy an adjustable one at NAPA. The bell slides and can be tightened to the proper level.

1951 Dodge 228 Canadian Long Block, dip stick 16.5 inches long, tube in block.

1948 Chrysler 251 16 inch dip stick, tube in block.

I am sure this does not help, seems like a few variations to me.

Fill oil pan with required amount of engine oil, use dip sticks and see which 1 indicates full, perhaps this would help to select correct length dip stick must be for your engine and tube....

I just measured mine and it's 16 3/4" fully seated. This is with a 53 264.5 in a Chrysler Windsor. Did the Desoto's get the same big 6 as the Chryslers in 53?

They did get the same big engine on 53, so i think we all agree its between 16 1/8" to 16 3/4" did you measure it from the bell?

I measured the one in my 50 Chrysler 251 and it's 15" seated in the bell. The dip stick tube is attached to the oil pan....not the block.

I also have a Long block 236 from a 46-47 1.5 ton and it measures 17 1/8" fully seated. The dip stick tube is attached to the block, not the oil pan.

To be sure drain and refill your pan with the proper amount of oil and then insert a dip stick and mark it. You can buy an adjustable one at NAPA. The bell slides and can be tightened to the proper level.

Reg, mine is attached to the block. so i think it should be 16 1/4"

I wasnt quiet sure because i remember draining the oil and about 7 quarts came in all at once!!!

They did not. Biggest Desoto flathead 6 is the 251CI engine. Crashler got the 265CI engine.

thanks for the info Don. i did not see the C.I. info when it was posted. 265 is a big engine! wonder if it was phisically bigger? wait! its this the chrysler inline 8????:confused:

thanks for the info Don. i did not see the C.I. info when it was posted. 265 is a big engine! wonder if it was phisically bigger? wait! its this the chrysler inline 8????:confused:

265 was the big 6 used in Chryslers. A fas as I know, it's the same block as the other MOPAR long 6's. I thought it was used in the Desotos as well but Don is MUCH more knowledgable than me so I would defere to him.

I did go and look for some more data..I thought I had read of the 265 being in military trucks to '68..so far though it seems the 251 was the main entry..however I did come across one reference where it stated that the Canadian Desoto did in fact get the 265 engine....probably another example of a rebadge..I do not know..in my looking the early 60's had one special low production truck that emerged in full 426 wedge glory..64-65 Custom Sport Special...now go out there and find these animals..

..in my looking the early 60's had one special low production truck that emerged in full 426 wedge glory..64-65 Custom Sport Special...now go out there and find these animals..

You mean like this?

DSC01751.jpg

265 was the big 6 used in Chryslers. A fas as I know, it's the same block as the other MOPAR long 6's. I thought it was used in the Desotos as well but Don is MUCH more knowledgable than me so I would defere to him.

Although American-built DeSotos used the 251 from 1951 through 1954, Canadian-built DeSotos used the 251 in 1951 and the 265 engine from 1952 through 1954 (Custom sedan and club coupe in 1952 and Powermaster sedan and hardtop in 1953-54).