Smokeybears 48 Plymouth

Smokeybear

Hi gang, I just wanted to introduce myself and show you guys what I've picked up. I won an ebay auction for a 48 Plymouth Business Coupe last week. The guy selling the car lives in Bethpage, NY, I'm in Kentucky. I say to myself, self, what have you done. Anyway, I leave out Wednesday to go get the car. Thursday morning I'm driving the ole girl up on the trailer. Friday morning, I'm backing her off and into the garage. Saturday morning the sanding started. Sunday morning the painting started. We painted it flat black. I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions and posting up lots of pictures as this is the first time I've built anything older than a 67 mustang. Thanks. and here's some pictures.

ply76.jpg

ply64.jpg

ply66.jpg

ply57.jpg

ply58.jpg

ply54.jpg

ply50.jpg

Welcome, looks like a good start. If you found the forum via the an internet search, make sure you check out the information found on the main page of the site that hosts this board. You can get there by using the return to P15 - D24 button on the top left of the header bar. Lots of good info on the ALLPAR website also.

Is it running, and how are the brakes?

Also you can edit your information to include your rear and model and general location fo folks can tell with a glance what you are working on.

Here's what I drive,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/gonyagl/oldstuff/8b9af4a8.jpg

Welcome, looks like a good start. If you found the forum via the an internet search, make sure you check out the information found on the main page of the site that hosts this board. You can get there by using the return to P15 - D24 button on the top left of the header bar. Lots of good info on the ALLPAR website also.

Is it running, and how are the brakes?

Also you can edit your information to include your rear and model and general location fo folks can tell with a glance what you are working on.

Here's what I drive,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/gonyagl/oldstuff/8b9af4a8.jpg

Thanks, I'll look around and search before posting questions. Yes, it's a running driving car. The brakes are good, all the lights and gauges work and it purrs like a kitten. The PO had media blasted the car and then found a 442 convertible that he started concentrating on. The old plymouth got pushed back in the shed and sat long enough to get that mill rust on it. We sanded it down, shot it with rust converter, primer, and some flat black. I just have to turn up some molding clips and a few other bits and pieces to be done (for now LOL).

that was my frined nicks car good solid car, he had the whole thing blasted. good solid car. good luck and welcome.

Yeah, Nick, Hell of a nice guy. And you're not kidding about it being solid. There is a place or two he had replaced like the outer rocker panel and the trunk lip but they were nicely done. The front floor pans still need a little massaging but it's solid. I'm very thankful to have such a good starting point. The 67 mustang I just did had everything replaced except the roof and doors. LOL. I'll be putting it in it's first show this weekend. I wanna see all the old guys in my car club drool over this one. Hehehehe.

Car looks good. What part of Kentucky? There are some good shows in your home state? Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green is one of my favorites. Another is just south of the border in Red Boiling Springs, Tennesse. Goodguys in Louisville is too rich for my funding.

I'm in Pikeville. We have a big town celebration coming up this weekend, Hillbilly Days. I'm gonna enter her in the car show just to see if she gets any looks. :)

I think I speak for all of us, just the model and general location will suffice.:D

Too bad you didn't post earlier, I could have met up with you in Bethpage. Looks like a good find.

Talk about a nightmare trip! Being the first time in New York, I got in the left lane in the Lincoln tunnel and they had barriers up so I couldn't get over in the right hand lane. I ended up in downtown Manhattan at 11:00 am pulling a trailer. The GENIUS traffic cops re-routed me three times, not letting me make the turn to I-495 so that I could get out of there. I snaked back and forth through 9 blocks of traffic with my blood boiling over. I'm just glad to be home. LOL.

• 1 month later...

Ok, small update, I actually had her running and driving last weekend. Got the rear end installed and I frankensteined the driveshaft enough to test drive it. I got it back and pulled it back out to send to the driveline shop for balancing. Dropped it off monday and picked it up today. I'll be reinstalling it tomorrow and moving the front shock locations and shooting the final paint Sunday. Here are some teaser pics and I'll post more after this weekends wrench and paintfest.

48rear2.jpg

48rear.jpg