Informal Poll - exterior sun visors

Charlie Olson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have one in a heartbeat BUT I prefer the Peckat type to the Fulton. Of course it's the expensive rare one.

Lots of time left to find one I can afford though.

I think they finish off a "period" car myself. Along with medium wide whites of course.

Just my 2 cents Can.

I don't care for the look. I also don't like spotlights and I have already removed the one that was on my car and sold it. When I finally get to painting I will weld the holes shut.

It's kinda hacked together from a few older pieces, put on by the last owner. Supports are not OEM, but it works for now. I am looking for a Fulton to replace it.

I don't care for the look of a sunvisor and would not have one on any of my cars. I don't really like spotlights either and definitely do not like fender skirts. Worst of all are continental kits. I guess I like my cars uncluttered but that is just a personal thing. To each his own and that is what makes our hobby interesting.

I found one on ebay that I was able to get for cheap($75). It had some nice pin striping on it. I bought it just to sell it, I think I got about $275 for it :D. I put it on my car just to see how it would look. It needed to be adjusted a little bit more but I think it looked ok.

DSCN2693.jpg

DSCN2692.jpg

I personaly love visors, fender skirts, spotlights, curb feelers and continental kits. They make a car look classy to me. To each his own though. I picked up a reproduction visor for my 53 Windsor last week from Big Jims Fender Skirts. It is fiberglass and needs some finishing before installation but I am overall happy with it. I am going to try and get some paint for it next week and then have a local shop install it.

http://www.bigjims.net/

I don't like them either!

I like the Fulton Visor on my car, gives it a custom look.

I also like spot lights, fog lights, not that fussy about fender skirts and continental kits.

I really like fuzzy dice, bobble head dogs, and hula girls on the dash too.

Here are a few pics of the Visor on my 47 Chrysler Coupe.

PS I really don't get overly concerned whether someone like my taste in my car, or it's accessories, the important thing is if I like it or not.

Little secret, for the first several years I owned this car, I did not like the look of 1946-48 Chrysler's, I really love them now, so go figure....

post-114-13585360333764_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585360334194_thumb.jpg

I don't mind the look, but I'm a tall guy. I've spent my life looking through the tinted section of modern windshields and cant use interior sun visors because they block my line of sight.....Kinda out of the question for me (at least after I get the springs in the seat of my wayfarer redone...not so much of an issue now.)

My D24 cc had a Fulton visor on it when I got it. I like how it looks on the car plus the fact that it has been on the car for who knows how long. I'd like to have a spotlight but I'm chicken to drill a hole to mount one.

I was able to purchase the Fulton sunvisor for my car from this forum about 3yrs ago, can't remember the guys name tho' it came from the US east coast and was on a 1948 4dr sedan parts car. I paid $100.00 and was another $100.00 to ship to Oz. I painted it and a mate made up the stainless steel centre bracket, the original bracket being incomplete and very flimsy. The new centre bracket has made it much stronger and less likely to flip up & end up on the roof after passing a truck. One thing that I was not aware of really till I received mine in the mail was that they were made from aluminium and in fact had a matt pale green zinc chromate paint underneath. I have heard that this was an antiglare finish however I have wondered whether the introduction of these exterior sun visors was a response to the end of WW2 and the cancellation of aircraft contracts & the subsequent over supply of sheet alloy..........anyway have attached a couple of pics of my car with the Fulton visor........andyd

post-1938-13585360336364_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585360336706_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585360337038_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585360337408_thumb.jpg

I come from Oklahoma, and so does my 46 Mayflower, and that is an area of the country where you would expect to find the visor used. My car didn't have one, and I guess I wouldn't care for one. Just a personal opinion. I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone who has one, just like white walls vs black walls. (I like the white walls - the wider the better, but not sure I'll ever be able to afford them.) I guess I tend to think the visor makes the car look "sleepy"..... (But come to think of it, maybe also a bit more "lady-like".... Maybe I'll reconsider....:))

Neto

It's kinda hacked together from a few older pieces, put on by the last owner. Supports are not OEM, but it works for now. I am looking for a Fulton to replace it.

Here's a photo of the visor on Ruby. As I said, it wasn't my doing, but it works none the less. - Mark

post-7609-13585360337727_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585360338414_thumb.jpg

I like them myself, but not on everything. Maybe its familiarity, growing up in the southwest I remember seeing them on older cars more often that not. I wouldn't put one on the Terraplane. My D24 didn't have one when we got it (from the screw holes, it did have one sometime in the past). I wasn't actively looking for one, but found one on a west Texas desert junker (sadly, a P15) being used to help prevent erosion in an arroyo. The rancher said I could take what I wanted, as long as the major portion of the car (even sadder - there are actually @ 30 cars in that particular arroyo) stayed put. Tell ya what, its not just aesthetics (sp?), it really helps in that southwest sunshine. The inside visors block too much vision for me. Adjusted right, the outside one is just right, and it keeps the sun off the dash, steering wheel, and forearms, and helps keep the interior a tad cooler, too. The underside of a Fulton is supposed to be "sage green" - "scientifically determined to provide the best protection from glare". But you will need a traffic light finder, or else stop 1/2 block back from the light so you can see it :eek: