230 Flathead 6 Oil filter.

Mustang6147

I have read many technical articles ragarding the issue of Oil Filters. I presently have an oil filter on my engine. But am reading the Spin on filter setups are better, for removing contaminants, and also reliev preasure from the oil pump. I am understanding that the Oil pump has to work harder with the oil canister system, and a power increase is noticed from the change to a spin on filter?

Well? has anyone noticed a difference? Is it worth doing? I am told its an easy mod. Who makes the conversion kits? How much?

Edited by Mustang6147

oil bath refers to the stock style of air cleaner. How much HP do you think any change of oil filter would make??? Does this mean the engines that came from the factory with no oil filter had more power than those with filters?

I think you might want to do some further research into terms, systems, and fitment.

I stumbled on an article that I really just found it hard to believe, I will cut and paste it for all to read the oil filter section...

"Install a Screw-on Type Oil Filter. Installing a screw-on type oil filter mounted to the engine block can also improve performance. Many of the Flathead engines had either no oil filter at all or a remotely mounted oil filter that caused the oil pump to work excessively hard. Replacing this setup can lead to improved performance and longer life of the vehicle engine."

Thats the article, I wanted to see if this was true? SO I figured I would post it here with the hopes some one could credit or discredit it.... You know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

..Did the article recommend a specific product, (advertisement)?

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I have read many technical articles ragarding the issue of Oil Filters.

If you have read any technical articles regarding oil filters you should already know how untrue the below statment is.

"Install a Screw-on Type Oil Filter. Installing a screw-on type oil filter mounted to the engine block can also improve performance. Many of the Flathead engines had either no oil filter at all or a remotely mounted oil filter that caused the oil pump to work excessively hard. Replacing this setup can lead to improved performance and longer life of the vehicle engine."

How does one measure and quanify how hard the oil pump works? If someone were to do this measurement would they be able to tell the difference between a full flow and a by-pass filter? Is the filter currently on your engine a full flow filter?

My understanding is that full flow filters are much better/effecient at cleaning oil than a by pass filter however a by pass filter is better than none. Modern oils are better than the 70-80 yr old oils the flathead was originally designed to work with. Oil bath aircleaners were supposed to be the best 50yrs ago..........but now its 2011 and I use a 30-50w engine oil, change it about every 12mths, run a by pass style beehive oil filter because it looks "fast" and a small paper element air cleaner also because it looks "fast"...........regular oil changes, some sort of oil and air filter and your engine must be better looked after than 60 yrs ago.........andyd

post-1938-13585360328911_thumb.jpg

Oh.....and RED plug leads because red is a fast colour........and I like to go fast........LOL.........will go take my meds now........lol.............andyd

Andy you might want to consider another faster air cleaner. The consensus is that those little elements don't flow enough air and cause a rich mixture due to restriction of incoming air.

On my car I run a home made deal using an oval element between two sheet metal pieces. when I ran the 2 4inch jobs, car OK but seitching to the larger element upped seat of the pants performance and gas mileage by 2 mpg.

If you have read any technical articles regarding oil filters you should already know how untrue the below statment is.

How does one measure and quanify how hard the oil pump works? If someone were to do this measurement would they be able to tell the difference between a full flow and a by-pass filter? Is the filter currently on your engine a full flow filter?

The oil filter on my engine is the old one it came with. I simply wanted to know if this was at all true, so I threw it out there....

Greg.............so is this new aircleaner you have the colour red?........lol..........really should replace the aircleaner on mine but chrome is even faster than red............lol........andyd

In regards to the reading of articles...generic late model car mags, a host of internet sites etc etc are not a wholesome trustworthy venue for information on these old cars. The factory books for these cars are still available from many sources in reproduiction form, Notors manuals from the period are also desireable sources of information. Who knows better for your old mopar but the folks who designed the systems in the beginning..and of a note, these were years ahead of thier time in engineering...it took GM almost 20 years just to come on par with some of the stock features these engines had in the original concept..car magazines today are a great source of TP if properly located in the average outhouse.

I have read many technical articles ragarding the issue of Oil Filters. I presently have an oil filter on my engine. But am reading the Spin on filter setups are better, for removing contaminants, and also reliev preasure from the oil pump. I am understanding that the Oil pump has to work harder with the oil canister system, and a power increase is noticed from the change to a spin on filter?

Well? has anyone noticed a difference? Is it worth doing? I am told its an easy mod. Who makes the conversion kits? How much?

Get back from the pristine mountains and good skiing to find that a relative newbie it getting grief about an area that is fairly simple but different than one working on newer (last 50 years) is used to...

1. Your 230 came with either no oil filter or with a bypass type filter.

2. Bypass type filters take some oil from the block, filter it, and return the cleaned oil to the pan.

3. Because there is no immediate harm done to the engine if the bypass filter clogs up, it is possible to fit a filter that removes much smaller contaminants than a full flow filter. Though in practice the filter element fitted don't always filter that finely. Still, the possibility is there.

4. On Plymouth/Dodge (and I assume other bypass filter fitted Chrysler products) since late 1933, the return line from the bypass filter to the pan goes through a passage built into the oil pressure relief valve so that if the pressure to the engine gets too low, the flow through the filter is restricted or shut off. So the pump will never have to "work too hard" (what ever the heck that means for a positive displacement gear type pump). Mostly it means that you will have good pressure to the bearings when the engine is at hot idle.

For "modern" technology, if a full flow filter becomes clogged the engine could be run without oil. A very bad thing. So all full flow filters come with a built in bypass valve that opens if the pressure differential between the input and output gets too high. This means a couple of things:

1. The filter media has to be more porous. So all oil goes through the filter but the filter is not as good.

2. You don't want the bypass valve to open because if it does all the gunk the filter did trap will be dumped into your engine.

3. Since you don't know how much dirt is in your filter and you don't want the bypass to open, you should change your filter at every oil change.

4. Full flow filters are designed to be thrown away. That is the are designed to be cheap to sell which means they are cheap to manufacture which means they are likely to have cheaply made bypass valves. Google around for that and you will find that some brands of filters are wretched and have leaky bypass valves to begin with, so the filter is doing absolutely nothing.

What it comes down to is the full flow oil filter system is different than the bypass oil filter system. One is not better than the other on all counts. Do some more Googling and you'll find that the people who really care have both a full flow system AND a bypass system on their engines.

Hey Tod Thanks,

I was baffled when I read this, so I figured I would post it, incase I was missing something. I get the whole bypass filter thing, I cut a bunch of filters apart looking into bypass valving a few years ago, mostly on race engines or higher RPM engine application. But this article I read threw me.

Thanks Again