T5 Project

John- did your machinist use a regular brass material or oilite ? .

If i'm not mistaken if regular brass was used it would need to be greased and have a slightly looser fit compared to oillite which  does not want grease a tighter fit.

Only your machinist knows for sure. ;)

DJ

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, 5027 steve said:

John ,I didn't see u address the spedo cable ......I have same exact conversion and can't get my stock spedo anywhere close.....did u happen to change the trans spedo gear ?????? Thanks Steve

I installed a 7 tooth drive gear on the main shaft and a 21 tooth driven gear for the speedometer to be accurate with 28" tall tires and 4.10 rear end gears.  It's on point....

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

I installed a 7 tooth drive gear on the main shaft and a 21 tooth driven gear for the speedometer to be accurate with 28" tall tires and 4.10 rear end gears.  It's on point....

John .....so are the Ford T5 and Chevy T5 transmission shaft gears all the same????? What about the gear that the cable hooks too ???? Does it matter whether it's a Ford or Chevy T5???? THANKS Steve

I believe that the output shafts are different widths. Some have different locations of the machined surfaces to accept the gears depending on the shifter location. There are aftermarket adapters for these available, a quick Google search brings up a lot of information. I can't recall encountering any strife when dealing with this area, and will look for photos.

The Driven gear (that the cable engages) might be different between Ford and GM too, not entirely sure. The same goes for the housing. However if your T5 is going into a truck you will need the S-10 tail shaft, and thus, a GM speedo housing and driven gear. But it sounds that you just need to replace the driven gear based on your truck's setup. Figure out what you have, calc it, and install the correct gear.

More on speedo gears, here:

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/t5-drive-gear-and-driven-gear-combinations.html

EDIT: Check out my post #30 on this topic for a photo of the exposed output shaft with blue speedo drive gear....

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

I believe that the output shafts are different widths. Some have different locations of the machined surfaces to accept the gears depending on the shifter location. There are aftermarket adapters for these available, a quick Google search brings up a lot of information. I can't recall encountering any strife when dealing with this area, and will look for photos.

The Driven gear (that the cable engages) might be different between Ford and GM too, not entirely sure. The same goes for the housing. However if your T5 is going into a truck you will need the S-10 tail shaft, and thus, a GM speedo housing and driven gear. But it sounds that you just need to replace the driven gear based on your truck's setup. Figure out what you have, calc it, and install the correct gear.

More on speedo gears, here:

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/t5-drive-gear-and-driven-gear-combinations.html

when I was considering a T5, I found that most don't have a provision for a gear driven speedometer.  Earlier versions did, but at some point most began using an electronic speedometer and those don't have a spot machined on the mainshaft for the gear.  Just another wrinkle in the selection criteria.

That's right, the older mechanical speedo housings are becoming very scarce these days. I recently found out about Modern Driveline providing new housings, but they are super expensive at over $600 per unit. The link below directs you to the GM page, but only Ford housings are being shown there now. Not sure what's going on....

The guy that built my T5 reported that he's now sending off the electronic housings to be converted to mechanical, because it's a lot cheaper. I don't have any information on what's required or where they're sent.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/product-category/transmissions/5-speed-transmissions/t5/gm-t5/

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...