Putting a 318 V8 in a 1947 desoto

Jonnyz72

I've decided to put a 318 V8 & automatic transmission in my '47' Desoto. Just wondering if anyone else has done this? Or if they have any pictures or advice. I've posted a few pics of my cars & the progress I've made. I am using the original Desoto frame with home made mounts, I also plan to use the original suspension, rear end, and as much of the original car as possible. I'm only interested in a stock 318 upgrade + auto trans & 12v electrical. Its not going to be a street rod, just something i can drive fairly reliably.

post-7438-13585360213727_thumb.jpeg

post-7438-13585360213884_thumb.jpeg

post-7438-13585360214032_thumb.jpeg

post-7438-13585360214159_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Jonnyz72

I've seen it done once, there was one at the national desoto convention, i dont remember a lot, I was probably around 10 years old! I couldn't help you with any tips, but I've seen it done. It was all stock besides the engine and trans.

Years ago I put a 340 with 747 and matching rear in a 54 DeSoto. I used universal motor mounts from a forgotten adaptor company. For the exhaust I used a right side manifold on both sides for steering box clearance and mounted the motor slightly to the right in the frame for steering arm clearance. The drive line came from a 70 Cuda and the rear axle width worked great, just move the axle perches to fit the existing springs. New perches were gotten fron Mopar performance. Use the longer e-brake cable on the pass side, and you can hook up to a lengthened oem e-brake.

some also suggest offsetting the engine about 1 1/2 in toward the pass side to deal with steering box clearence. Oce its buttonned up with all the suff around it it's vitually invisible. Gotta make sure you get the correct oilpan and oil piclup to clear the cross steering cross tie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Anyone have Part #'s for those spring perches that were used ??? Cass, alias Littlemo ....

Come on guys, you can't seriously be using 2-1/2" wide rear spring perches on those original MOPAR 1-3/4" wide rear springs, are you??? Butch's Cool Stuff manufactures everything you need to mount any late model rear axle into most any old MOPAR car, including the 1-3/4" wide spring perches. Whole kits to individual parts, whatever you need, just check'em out at www.butchscoolstuff.com or call TECH LINE at 937-405-3399. Hope I have helped!!!! Butch (I'm back) Bunn, Dayton Ohio area

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I've decided to put a 318 V8 & automatic transmission in my '47' Desoto. Just wondering if anyone else has done this? Or if they have any pictures or advice. I've posted a few pics of my cars & the progress I've made. I am using the original Desoto frame with home made mounts, I also plan to use the original suspension, rear end, and as much of the original car as possible. I'm only interested in a stock 318 upgrade + auto trans & 12v electrical. Its not going to be a street rod, just something i can drive fairly reliable

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advise. The motor is installed & it looks beautiful. I will post pictures when I get the chance. Working 50-60 hours a week & raising a toddler take up most of my time, but I manage to squeeze in an hour in here & there on the Desoto. I really appreciate all the advise! -Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

post-3770-0-85520800-1390099258_thumb.jpgI put new coil springs in the front & had to cut one coil off because the flathed & fluid drive was so much heavier than the 318 & torqueflight. I bought the springs from Kanter auto.

Edited by Jonnyz72

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here just bumped in, will introduce myself later.

As i'm planning a similar job i have a few questions. 

What exhaust manifolds did you use?

And didn't you change your rear axle because of the handbrakes?

Did you change the oilpan?