Attention Upper Midwest Members!!

I brought this up last night during the DPTECA chat session and got some good feedback.

My idea is to organize some kind of get-together, some time after the holiday season (read Football season), for the members of the DPTECA and this forum. I know there are several members in northern Illinois, a few scattered across southern Wisconsin, as well as some in eastern Minnesota and across Iowa. I had thought about an afternoon dinner party/social somewhere in the Madison or Wisc. Dells areas. This would be somewhat centrally located for the IL and MN members, as well as the WI members.

This would give us a chance to meet one another and chew the fat (so to speak) about our trucks and/or cars. If done over the winter we'd all probably have to bring along our photo albums, which could be interesting as well. If done toward spring those with drivable vehicles would be encouraged to bring them. I know as spring approaches lives get busier and it gets harder to plan these things, but if planned far enough in advance it may be possible.

The question is... How many would be willing to travel to the Madison or Wis Dells area for something like this? Would it be better to find a hotel that we could all stay in and make a weekend out of it?

One other option would be to coordinate it during the Wisconsin Dells Car Show in May. ( http://www.dellsareacruisers.com/events.htm ) If we did that, maybe we could get a few classic Mopars entered in the show too.

Just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my head. Earlier this summer I had the chance to meet Todd B at the Iola car show. Even though it was brief, I enjoyed the encounter and would like to expand on that.

Please respond with your thoughts on this, either here on the forum or email me direct at luv2wingit@sbcglobal.net If there is enough interest, and maybe better ideas on how to conduct this, maybe we can get something planned and rolling. Who knows, maybe it'll turn into a regular "Old Mopar Meeting Place" gathering.

Merle

PS. Bob Koch, can you help me out with getting this info out to the DPETCA members that aren't active on this forum? I have a membership list from earlier this year. Have there been any new members added since then that I should add. Or can you send a group emailing to all members regarding this?

Merle,

I was just thinking about the same thing over the weekend, except on a smaller scale. I was thinking people from the area possibly meeting for breakfast or lunch someplace around Brookfield Square. I know there are several P15's around here and now that the forum is sort of combined I've noticed a few people from the Pilot House that are also in the area.

I'm not sure which is closer from the twin cities but either would work for me. I'll bring my truck if its warm enough. That would probably push it to april though.

Norm, Sounds cool... keep me informed. Bookfield Square is right down the road from me.

Ed, Wis Dells is north of Madison, so it would be closer to the Cities by about 1/2 hour.

Fred, I'm not limiting it to WI, MN, IA, and IL. That was just to identify members I knew of in the area. Anyone that wants to make the trip would be welcome if it happens.

Thanx Merle, I know I would be welcome at this event if it happens. Was just trying to be funny, I have never felt not included on events posted on this forum, I know you US boys are sometimes not aware of what regions of Canada are the closest to your particular region in the USA. I have been through the region in Wisconsin many times in the past, will attend if possible with my schedule...............All the best Fred

Merle,

I haven't mentioned it to anyone around here yet about meeting around Brookfield Square. Was just thinking about it. But, if we can do it I'm for it. Not sure if I want to go all the way to Madison though. The nice thing about Brookfield Square is, anyone from out of town that shows up can easily go to either the Madison or SE Wisconsin area from there and see any sites they want to see. For those not familiar with the area, Brookfield Square is in Brookfield, WI and is right off I-94 at the Mooreland Road exit, about halfway between Milwaukee and Waukesha, WI. It's a large commercial area with lots of places to set up a meeting and have breakfast or lunch. Afterward, you can head straight east and run right into downtown Milwaukee and visit the Art Muesuem or whatever. Or you can head west to the Madison area and Dells area. Or, if your wife happens to be along, you may end up spending a week shopping along the stretch on Bluemound Road at Brookfield Square. It's never ending shopping along there for the women.

Sounds like maybe we should set a time and date for this so people can make some plans. Actually, anyplace along Bluemound Road in Brookfield would probably be a good place to meet. Parking places abound and just about any kind of food along there. Maybe we should just pick some Saturday and start trying to get people to show up.

Merle, I'll send you my phone number in an email in case you want to discuss it over the phone some more.

One of the reasons for forming the Dodge Pilothouse Era Truck Club was just for this reason. To provide a way to meet together, both through the internet and in real person. It's been difficult in previous years to get people together because everyone seems so spread out. I would really encourage you guys to try to make this work in your area. I know it's difficult to travel some distance but I think the rewards will be long lasting. We've tried a couple of times getting the Northern California guys together but only a few could make it each time. Let me know whatever I can do to help facilitate this to make it happen. Merle I've sent you an email regarding this as well. Please continue to pursue this idea and see what you can do to make it happen. This will be a great start towards our ultimate goal - a national convention of Pilot-house trucks owners!

:)

P.S. Our Canadian friends are always welcome. We just sometimes forget to say it.

Well, it looks like Norm took some inititive and set up a meet in January, nere near us in the Milwaukee area. I also got some feedback regarding spring might be a better time so some could bring out their vehicles, and one comment that the car show idea sounded nice.

So, here's the plan for now. For anyone that wants to have a weekend getaway in January, come on up, over, or down to Brookfield and have dinner with us at Uno's. Check Norm's post regarding time and dates on that one. If you would like to make a weekend out of it I can get some hotel info in the area and maybe we can do a Sunday brunch thing too.

Then in May we'll plan to meet up in Wisconsin Dells over the car show weekend (May 19th & 20th). By then my truck may even be road worthy. Again I'll check into area hotels and/or camping. I enjoy camping and for those who might like to check out Todd B's Pilot-house camper, (it's very nice by the way) a camping get together might be fun too. I know some people's ideas of roughing it is a Motel 6, so I'll gather local hotel info too.

How does that sound for everyone?

Merle

Camping sounds great. Plenty of room for the tent in the back of my pickup. I know the first time I vacationed at the Dells as a kid we camped over there somewhere. State park maybe?

Merle,

I've heard that the Dells show is a nice show, but never made it out there for that one. Now I remember why. That's the same weekend as the Waukesha Madison Classics show. The Waukesha and Jefferson Madison Classics meets have been tradition for me and my brother in law for about the last 15 or 16 years. We don't buy much there just run into a lot of the guys in the area that we know, mostly Ford guys. Sometimes we do more talking and visiting than looking at parts. Don't think I can make it to the Dells that weekend.

http://www.madisonclassics.com