spitfire engine start up

tysouthwick

I think so. The generator completes some of the circuits in the electrical system that may be needed to start and run the car. You can run the car and disconnect the battery and if your generator is good, it will keep running, but it doesn't work the other way. Cars basically run off of the generator or alternator. The battery is just to start the car and keep it running to the next service station if the generator fails.

that makes no sense, either way the coil gets power. otherwise, if it relied on the genset for coil power, it would get next to none at startup! like i said in the truck side, check the wires in the dizzy, they may look alright at first glance, but check them well, they often break after so many years.

All you need is power to the coil. It can be through the ignition system, or it can be through a jumper wire coming from the starter post or the battery. You can even remove the coil and distributor, put it on the bench and hook power to it and check things. Turn it by hand and it should spark, no matter the speed that you turn it. You don't need any wires, except the coil wire (or a replacement from some old junk) or distributor cap or rotor. Back in the day, many mechanics would take the one little bolt out and remove the distributor to put in points and set it up. If they had it, that is how they used a Sum type machine to set things, not in the car. Sometimes I still remove mine. Saves a lot of lost little screws and sore backs leaning over.

As others have said, check to see if you have power at the coil, or just add a jumper wire to remove all doubt.

Keep in mind, if the points are closed you won't read anything at the distributor side of the coil.

You can check to see if you have spark easily by pulling the coil wire from the distributor, leaving the coil end in the coil, and laying the distributor end near something metal, like the block or spark plug wire harness. Make it about 1/8" or so, remove the distributor cap, then short the points with a screwdriver. Each time you short them it should spark. If you can get no spark just shorting and prying around on the points, you have a coil problem, a lack of power to the coil problem or something in the distributor is shorted. If you get spark that way, but then turn the motor over and don't get spark, it's most likely the points dirty.

I even had one that would get spark for a little bit using the method above, then quickly stop when turning over. Turned out, the points were stuck on their little post they pivot on. The arm would bend instead of smoothly rotating on their little post. After a couple times the arm wouldn't return, so they'd stay open. It would slowly straighten out, so by the time I got out of the cab, they'd look normal again.

In all the years I've messed with this junk I've never found a bad condenser, one that would keep it from getting spark. I've found many points that didn't look too bad, but just didn't let electric through, especially if they've set for a time. A points file or a slight sanding with fine sandpaper will get them working again

The generators purpose is to keep the battery charged, not to provide operational juice.

Make a jumper wire with aligator clips on each end and power the neg terminal of the coil from the neg battery terminal or the battery side solenoid terminal. thiw will power the coil without question. To stop the engine remove the clip from the power end.

It usually something simple, I tried for nearly 3 hours one day to get my old Triumph to start after a tune up. Then I found my shiney brandy new rotor on the bench next to the old points.................

Thats funny Greg, but really, I am glad to hear I am not the only one to do that. How do you explain to your wife why it took so long to do a 15 minute job? Can you dope-slap yourself?

Some day I'll tell you about the mobster Tommy Morgano and the mysterious oil change.

Tysouthwick,

A great trouble shooting guide is available for @$30.

It will get you started.

Automotive Trouble Shooting for WW2 Wheeled Vehicles Volume 1 by Robert Notman.

Contact notmanr@comcast.net

If you can read you will start your car in no time flat.

Best Damn Book I have ever owned.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville NC