1941 P12 ASC Restoration Progress Videos

plymouthasc

I have been working on my 1941 P12 for the past several years. I always looked at the restoration process as my hobby, not having the car finished or driving it. However, I want to have it completed for the summer meet in California. The restoration itself is about 85% complete. I mainly need to get everything assembled again.

I am going to post a weekly update on my progress on my YouTube channel. Take a look if you are interested. If you subscribe to the channel, you will get a notice when a new video is posted.

Please comment on the video and let me know what part of the project you want me to talk about or ask questions. I will give answers in my videos.

Here is a link to the first video.

I have been a member of the Plymouth fourm for a number of years. I am new to the p15-d24 forum. Looks like a good place for information.

Mark

Edited by plymouthasc
error

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. Really enjoyed the video and nice to see a car being retored to original:). Especially nice to see a coupe done that way instead of rodded:eek:. I am a big fan of original although my cars deviate slightly (mainly upholstery) but are pretty stock mechanically. I am looking forward to the next videos and would love to see something related to the mechanical restoration.

Mark, great video, very impressed with the instrument cluster............I have a factory RHD P11 ASC Coupe built in Sth Africa, these were never built here in Oz, we only had 4dr sedans, I bought it 4yrs ago, it was an older restoration & needed some tidying up .................have attached a couple of pics.........would love to see more pics of your car......thanks & regards, Andy Douglas

post-1938-13585359980665_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585359981069_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585359981514_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585359981837_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585359982201_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the entire series. When exactly is that Plymouth meet in Monterey? I travel to CA frequently and would love to try and get to see that.

Thanks for the great response about the video and my car restoration.

As someone already mentioned in a reply, the second video is now on YouTube. Here is the link:

Answers to questions:

The instrument faces were painted by Scott Young as was suggested. I actually rebuilt the panel myself after he painted the faces and the glass. I also had Williamson Intruments in the South go through the instruments before I reassembled everything.

The Plymouth Club meet is in Pacific Grove (adjoining Monterey) July 13-16. The judging is on Saturday behind the Bank of America at 601 Lighthouse Avenue.

The photos from Australia are great! I will try and post some photos too.

Thanks again for all the support!

Mark

Another great video!, one thing I did notice is the front u-bolts for the front motor mount. I am not sure which way is "factory" correct but I think they are installed from the bottom up with the nuts and washers on top.

I checked my photos from when I took the engine out. I think you are correct. I am sure the engine was never removed from the car before so I think the photo is correct. I will need to change them!

post-7662-13585360041879_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I posted episode #3 of the videos about getting my car ready for the summer meet.

I addresses a couple of the issues raised in this thread.

Thanks to aero3113 for noticing the engine mount u-bolts were upside-down. I have verified and corrected the problem. A photo is attached showing the fix.

I also added a couple of photos posted by Andydodge of NSW Australia to the video. I appreciated his sharing.

Please keep asking questions.

Mark

post-7662-1358536011781_thumb.jpg

Edited by plymouthasc

Love the way your shirt matches the table cloth.....Don't you wish you had a big stappler like the factory had???? I did when I replaced the rubber that goes on top of the radiator to hood baffles on my P15. I actually used staple from my hammer tacker and then bent and peaned them, to retain the flat shape of the original staples.

Did you find the authentic battery? There used to be a guy adv in Hemmings that sold a slipover cover that could be decaled for maker or car brand.

I posted video #4 about restoring the '41 coupe. I talk about the fuel tank restoration and show the "unboxing" of an NOS rear view mirror I purchased for the project.

See the video at http://www.youtube.com/user/ihazwings

Thanks for the comments and feedback. It has really helped with the restoraton.

Mark

post-7662-135853602147_thumb.jpg