The Story Of A Car Part, 1 of 2

James_Douglas

Very nice work. It deserves some "Bullseyes" too!

WOW, WOW, WOW! I've got convertible project also but a bit more work than you. That is a beautiful car. Keep us updated. Below is my current status and a pic of my goal. I'm just about ready to start on it. Got to finish my truck and a study guide for a publisher first.

The first pic is as is, the 2nd is my goal, going to copy that car. The next three are how the truck ended up. So I figure the car is just another truck with different fenders. The only rust is the floor and surface. No dents and never wrecked.

post-34-0-82358200-1361972812_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-14331700-1361972849_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-51817900-1361972971_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-16592000-1361973033_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-55045100-1361973102_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted.  This last year has been busy with an ailing mother-in-law and we have been doing the San Francisco-LA run quite a bit.

I have been able to get back on the 1949 Desoto the last few months.  The other day, on what would have been my late mothers 97 Birthday, I started the car and moved it under its own power for the first time since 1970.

I have a number of things to do yet, about 3 weeks of work, then off to the shop for the interior and the top.

I hope everyone is well.

Best, James

How's about this for weird...I lived in the Richmond District...I had NO IDEA that there was another Mopar guy in the neighborhood.  LOL.  I still come into the neighborhood as I have friends and family in the Inner.  I hope to see that car going down Geary or Fulton someday. :)

FG.

Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted.  This last year has been busy with an ailing mother-in-law and we have been doing the San Francisco-LA run quite a bit.

I have been able to get back on the 1949 Desoto the last few months.  The other day, on what would have been my late mothers 97 Birthday, I started the car and moved it under its own power for the first time since 1970.

I have a number of things to do yet, about 3 weeks of work, then off to the shop for the interior and the top.

I hope everyone is well.

Best, James

Wow, that looks fantastic, James. Finding any old car with a history you can document back to the day of initial purchase is rare enough, but when that history is also your personal story, that is truly special. Thanx for the pix.

When I was born my father brought me home from the hospital in a brand new 1946 Plymouth. In 1947 he totaled it. I don't know why but I've always wanted one but the time was never right. Finally about 10 years ago I found one sitting in the desert. I hunted down the owner and got it for $500. Since then I've just been throwing money at it. But when I drive down the road and look over the hood and see the hood piece I think that's what my father saw. It sounds silly when you write it down but the car gives me immense satisfaction. To drive the actual car of your youth seems like it would be priceless.

I had some pictures of my car from back in the day. That's when they used something called film. Unlike digital film gets lost. If I ever find the pictures I will show before and after. (as only a car lover would appreciate)

d-

James - way off topic: I see you live on 19th. 19th and what. I grew up on 35th and Lincoln Way in the Sunset District. I am 3rd generation San Francisco. My grandmother was there for the earthquake in 1906. I miss the City but it's too expensive. I went to high school in Redwood City. Then I moved south to become rich and famous. (old story - same ending)

James - way off topic: I see you live on 19th. 19th and what. I grew up on 35th and Lincoln Way in the Sunset District. I am 3rd generation San Francisco. My grandmother was there for the earthquake in 1906. I miss the City but it's too expensive. I went to high school in Redwood City. Then I moved south to become rich and famous. (old story - same ending)

California