Anyone with a '49 or '50 Chrysler-Desoto ?

James_Douglas

Any non-stock newer wheel I've ever tried on the 49's hit the tierods on the front. You need to measure the offset from the stock rims which do fit and use that to find newer replacements or have the newer ones modified at a wheel shop.

Welcome back, by the way. Nice to see and old face again.

Any non-stock newer wheel I've ever tried on the 49's hit the tierods on the front. You need to measure the offset from the stock rims which do fit and use that to find newer replacements or have the newer ones modified at a wheel shop.

Welcome back, by the way. Nice to see and old face again.

Hi Pat, I am not having an issue with the inner side. I purchased a kit from ECI for the fronts. Ralph at ECI did the custom job 5 years ago on the 1947 Long Wheel Base Desoto. That set up has worked fine.

My issue is that the aluminum hubs on the 1949 setup are pushing the wheel bolt face out 7/8 of an inch. I am really worried that I will have a fender issue. The fenders are off and will not go pack on until after the painting.

I have a wheel I got from Stockton Wheel that is not welded. I can drop it into my press (with 1/4 inch to spare) and push the center in and out to get it to clear the caliper. They will then make me up a set of 5 new ones with that same off set. I have a LOT of clearance to the tie rods...I am worried about the outer fender.

The wheels on the car are a mix and match as the old geezer swapped tires around the cars in his warehouse. So, I have several wheels and which ones are orginal...who knows.

It looks like the spacing from the extreme rear edge of the wheel rim to the mounting face is 4-1/8 inch for the test wheel. The wheel that came off that side is about 3-7/8 to 4 inch for the same measurement.

But, like I said with the new hub the hub face is about 3/4 to 7/8 inch out further. We sat there swapping the original hub and the aluminum hub off and on and measure to points on the frame and the top of the upright.

Hummmmm....

James

James,

I had the same concerns when I installed my ECI front brakes. For several reasons I was in the mood for new front rims to replace the 15x6 standard offset rims that I bought from Wheel Vintique. I was able to buy some 15x6 rims from them with 1/2" more backspacing, and it looks like that will do it. Won't know for sure until I actually drive it again; the engine has been fired, but I need to modify and reinstall the transmission tunnel before I can drive it!

Marty