Tail Gate Letter Color

Ya good point Dennis. Would work perfect on my truck. Do you have another set? My pickup could use one.

If you look at post #11, I also have the low bed and would dare to use the vinyl lettering. Also if you notice my vintagepowerwagons taillights are the closest I could get to original (a step up from the $10 pair I got at a discount auto place). I've thought about vinyl letters on them and could use any number of programs to produce a vector graphic. My guess would be Adobe Illustrator, but could you verify this with your friend?

Thanks,

Hank :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the tail gate down in 1994 and my neighbor moved to kansas city. I'm sure there are a lot of graphic vinyl people out there who could do the job. Sorry not much help but just thought is was a good way to avoid the pitfalls of painting. It has held up very well over the years and she also did the pinstriping with vinyl and filled in my grill. I really like it.

post-7445-13585360151813_thumb.jpg

post-7445-13585360152421_thumb.jpg

If you look at post #11, I also have the low bed and would dare to use the vinyl lettering. Also if you notice my vintagepowerwagons taillights are the closest I could get to original (a step up from the $10 pair I got at a discount auto place). I've thought about vinyl letters on them and could use any number of programs to produce a vector graphic. My guess would be Adobe Illustrator, but could you verify this with your friend?

Thanks,

Hank, I just retired and closed my sign business. But I still have many rolls of vinyl and a vinyl cutter. By the way most sign people use CorelDraw. Neither of by Dodges have tailgates so I can't help with the lettering but with a vector file I could cut it for you.

George

Hank, I just retired and closed my sign business. But I still have many rolls of vinyl and a vinyl cutter. By the way most sign people use CorelDraw. Neither of by Dodges have tailgates so I can't help with the lettering but with a vector file I could cut it for you.

George

George, If that happens ,I'd be interested in purchasing a set in black vinyl just like Hank needs for my low sided tailgate.

Reg

George, If that happens ,I'd be interested in purchasing a set in black vinyl just like Hank needs for my low sided tailgate.

Reg

Reg, I'd be happy to make them for any on the forum that need them as well as any other vinyl needed. Just pay for shipping.

Reg are you the one that has the patterns for the interior panels? I also have a 4'x8' cnc router and was thinking about cutting some.

George

Reg, I'd be happy to make them for any on the forum that need them as well as any other vinyl needed. Just pay for shipping.

Reg are you the one that has the patterns for the interior panels? I also have a 4'x8' cnc router and was thinking about cutting some.

George

Ive got what I believe are 1:1 patterns for 48-50 5 window cabs. I havent tried them out so I dont know if theyre scaled correctly or not. If anyone is interested Ill ask around to find a print copier and send some out.

George

Yes,I have the patterns for the interior. Included are the headliner,back of cab(3 window),door header,door panel and kick panel.

I'd be more than happy to trade a set for the black tailgate lettering.:D

Reg

Weren't the original letters painted all the way down the shoulders of the embossed letters to the flat area surrounding the letters ? I was wondering if a precut vinyl mask and spray paint wouldn't produce a more authentic result than cut out vinyl applied to just the flat faces of each letter.

Weren't the original letters painted all the way down the shoulders of the embossed letters to the flat area surrounding the letters ? I was wondering if a precut vinyl mask and spray paint wouldn't produce a more authentic result than cut out vinyl applied to just the flat faces of each letter.

IMO that would be the better way to go.

Yes,I have the patterns for the interior. Included are the headliner,back of cab(3 window),door header,door panel and kick panel.

I'd be more than happy to trade a set for the black tailgate lettering.:D

Reg

Reg, I'd be happy to trade. I'll make them for anyone even you Ed! All I need is a digital file. I agree that the over painted look best and the vinyl works great for paint mask.

I'll need to have the templates scanned or digitize them then I can make interior panels real cheap for anyone that needs them.

George

Thanks,

Hank, any progress on the vector tailgate lettering file? I can use any format vector file you can send me. Sounds like several people can use this.

George

so I guess this means Stewdecky no longer has access to the pattern. I could begin by using some tracing paper to do a pencil rubbing of my low side tailgate, and a photo for a start.

On my particular truck, the tailgate is a brand new one from Bruce Horkey. As far as the authenticity goes, I believe I've heard something like there were no patents filed (or something like this) for the low side bed. That being the case, everything including the stamped tailgate and front panel for the low side bed could be duplicated; however (this is starting to sound like lawyer-ese) not so for the high side bed this is why as far as I know you can't buy a new high side bed. (Too bad).

What this means to us is:

I'm not sure if my bed was stamped from authentic Mopar dies and the lettering would be a perfect match with one from the factory (I'd like to think it is).

I'm pretty sure someone will have to do the pencil-rubbing for the high side bed and mail that off to me.

I can produce either an AutoCad.dwg, or .dxf or an Adobe Illustrator.ai. These (and especially the dxf) most likely can be imported into Corel Draw if that's the file fomat of choice to drive the cutter.

Got my hands full at the moment but will get to it in the coming weeks.

I think it's because to replicate the high sides, you need the correct embossed pattern and have them stamped. MUCH more expensive to do that than simple press work on the low sides. Also would then need a seperate pattern for the front panel ( taller ) and the tailgate (taller). Economics.

On my particular truck, the tailgate is a brand new one from Bruce Horkey. As far as the authenticity goes, I believe I've heard something like there were no patents filed (or something like this) for the low side bed. That being the case, everything including the stamped tailgate and front panel for the low side bed could be duplicated; however (this is starting to sound like lawyer-ese) not so for the high side bed this is why as far as I know you can't buy a new high side bed. (Too bad).

What this means to us is:

any patents filed for this have LONG expired (17 year limit)...now any trademarks on the lettering on the other hand, those might be an issue depending if Dodge kept up the paper work for that.

any patents filed for this have LONG expired (17 year limit)...now any trademarks on the lettering on the other hand, those might be an issue depending if Dodge kept up the paper work for that.

My last request:

A drive around the Courtyard in my B3B, A pepperoni pizza and a Coke.

Hank :D

I heard a similar story from, I believe, Gary Roberts at Roberts Motor Parts, regarding the outside mirror brackets for the B series trucks. He sells the brackets for the 47 and earlier trucks but not the 48-53. If I remember the conversation correctly (and I may not), he said Chrysler Corp. never released the patent on the B series bracket and, therefore, it could not be reproduced.:confused:

I'm pretty sure someone will have to do the pencil-rubbing for the high side bed and mail that off to me.

I can produce either an AutoCad.dwg, or .dxf or an Adobe Illustrator.ai. These (and especially the dxf) most likely can be imported into Corel Draw if that's the file fomat of choice to drive the cutter.

Got my hands full at the moment but will get to it in the coming weeks.

Hank,

I have an extra tailgate from a tall bed. It's pretty well beat up, and would take more trouble than it's worth to fix, but the letters are still in good shape. I'd be willing to ship either the whole tailgate, or cut out the middle section with the letters and ship that to you to have as a pattern. Say the word and I'll UPS it to ya.

Hank,

I have an extra tailgate from a tall bed. It's pretty well beat up, and would take more trouble than it's worth to fix, but the letters are still in good shape. I'd be willing to ship either the whole tailgate, or cut out the middle section with the letters and ship that to you to have as a pattern. Say the word and I'll UPS it to ya.

Bob, I could work with the letter section from the tailgate to make a pattern for the high side bed.

Hank, I can use any format known to man. A DXF file would work perfectly. That would give us a pattern for low side beds also.

George

Hank,

(and extremely generous of you Bob) George since "you-da-man", I'll follow what you decide.

Bob, I could work with the letter section from the tailgate to make a pattern for the high side bed.

Hank, I can use any format known to man. A DXF file would work perfectly. That would give us a pattern for low side beds also.

George

sent you an email. Reply back with an address and I'll ship the middle section with the letters.

I heard a similar story from, I believe, Gary Roberts at Roberts Motor Parts, regarding the outside mirror brackets for the B series trucks. He sells the brackets for the 47 and earlier trucks but not the 48-53. If I remember the conversation correctly (and I may not), he said Chrysler Corp. never released the patent on the B series bracket and, therefore, it could not be reproduced.:confused:

that sounds odd. Patent law is pretty clear. You have one year for the date of puplic showing to patent. If you don't it becomes public domain. If you do you have a 17 year window that you are the only one to produce said product. After that it is public domain. Recently it has changed to 20 year protection, but considering these are ~60 years old that is irrelavent. Personally (thru work) holding about 40 patents right now and deal with my company's patent attourney on a regular babsis, the reasoning from Gary sounds a bit muddled. I'd say it's more of an issue with the tooling and such required to produce the product. If the bracket is sheet metal, send me details and I'll see if I can repro one.