Rear end question

Specialdeluxe47

I am going through and would like to change the bearingss and seals in the rearend of a 1947 4 door sedan. this is the original rear end and as far as I know they have never been changed.

What tool do you guys use to remove the inner seal?

how do you remove the Bearing from the axle? do you have to use a shop press

What tool do you use to reinstall the inner seal?

When you say seals and bearings, I assume you mean the ones on axles behind the backing plates.

Buy or borrow a slide hammer and use the fingers to pull things out. Makes it a very simple job.

I drove mine in with a big socket, but the seals I got with the NAPA brand were flimsy and the springs popped off with the shock of hitting the socket to drive them in. I'd like to hear of a better way myself. Slowly pressing them in would be much better, but I'm not sure what to use.

Thanks for the info. Got the inner and outer seals removed. But I have not been able to get the Bearing off the axle. The bearing and the race are in great shape so I do not want to replace them. Do I need to pack the bearing before I reinstall it or can I just fill the cavity.

Thanks for the info. Got the inner and outer seals removed. But I have not been able to get the Bearing off the axle. The bearing and the race are in great shape so I do not want to replace them. Do I need to pack the bearing before I reinstall it or can I just fill the cavity.

The bearings is pressed onto the axle. Don't try to remove it! Yes you need to pack grease into the bearing. Not a pleasant job to do by hand but all you can do with it on the axle.