Who Uses Google Chrome???OT

55 Fargo

Anyone using Google Chrome for a web browser, if so, how is it, pros and cons.

I am using it again on 1 of my computers, which is an old Dell P3, 1 Ghz, 512MB Ram, it works well.

The only glitch was I had to reboot my computer, at times, as it would not open my web browser at times.

I then uninstalled the Google Chrome, but am trying it again, to see what happens.....

Gents,

I, too, downloaded Chrome and tried it for a while then went back to Firefox because I'm very happy with FF and didn't want to bother learning Chrome. I'm going to go back to Chrome and learn it this time because it isn't difficult, just different, and I'll need to know it to use the Chrome OS when it's finally developed and released because the OS and Chrome operate almost identically. I went into perhaps too much detail about Chrome OS on a thread last week so I won't reiterate but I do encourage everyone to look into it.

-Randy

I've got it installed and use it from time to time on both a Linux box and my Mac (work IT has a policy against installing it on their Windows boxes so I don't have it there). Seems to be okay but Firefox and Safari are okay too. Only one that I stay away from is Internet Explorer although the latest version of that is not as bad as all the older ones.

All of the newer Microsoft programs have a radical change in user interface compared with the older ones and I keep getting frustrated when I'm forced to use them. Fortunately Open Office on the Linux box seems to be able to handle all the documents I need to open.

I've got it installed and use it from time to time on both a Linux box and my Mac (work IT has a policy against installing it on their Windows boxes so I don't have it there). Seems to be okay but Firefox and Safari are okay too. Only one that I stay away from is Internet Explorer although the latest version of that is not as bad as all the older ones.

All of the newer Microsoft programs have a radical change in user interface compared with the older ones and I keep getting frustrated when I'm forced to use them. Fortunately Open Office on the Linux box seems to be able to handle all the documents I need to open.

I hear you on the "interface changes", I am quite content with XP Professional, Windows 7 is used at work, and on our newer computer...

Anyone using Google Chrome for a web browser, if so, how is it, pros and cons.

I am using it again on 1 of my computers, which is an old Dell P3, 1 Ghz, 512MB Ram, it works well.

The only glitch was I had to reboot my computer, at times, as it would not open my web browser at times.

I then uninstalled the Google Chrome, but am trying it again, to see what happens.....

Don't like it at all.....it is very invasive....

How so, would like to hear about any negatives on this browser, not 100% sure I like it either....

It is my impression that the newer versions of software from Google (Google Earth, Chrome) install auto-update components in your system that are difficult to remove. I guess that is so that they can assure that all people using their software have up to date versions. I personally dislike that and much prefer software that when starting check for a new version and then asks if you want to update.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/why-googles-sof/

http://www.google.com/support/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100386

It is my impression that the newer versions of software from Google (Google Earth, Chrome) install auto-update components in your system that are difficult to remove. I guess that is so that they can assure that all people using their software have up to date versions. I personally dislike that and much prefer software that when starting check for a new version and then asks if you want to update.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/why-googles-sof/

http://www.google.com/support/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100386

My Windows 7 laptop has a feature where I can turn off automatic updates and I have done so. However everytime I boot-up I get a message stating that "your computer might be at risk as auto updates is disabled. Click here to fix". I hit ignore and continue with the boot-up.

I also get a boot-up message requesting that I upgrade to Windows 8. Has anyone done this upgrade and was it worthwhile? What benefits etc?

My Windows 7 laptop has a feature where I can turn off automatic updates and I have done so. However everytime I boot-up I get a message stating that "your computer might be at risk as auto updates is disabled. Click here to fix". I hit ignore and continue with the boot-up.

I also get a boot-up message requesting that I upgrade to Windows 8. Has anyone done this upgrade and was it worthwhile? What benefits etc?

I would think that setting is strictly for your Windows updates. Chrome or other programs would not be affected by turning off those updates. Many programs have their own options or settings where you can set your update preferences.

As far as Windows 8 goes, from what I read that is only in Beta format right now which means you'd be using an experimental product that doesn't have the bugs out yet. Unless you're very knowledgeable about computers, I'd stay away from it.

Just heard on the news Google G-Mail had a problem today. Peoples accounts got emptied/changed by some bug. Google promises to get everyones E mail account back up and like it was!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I use Chrome on a shared computer. My wife likes IE so I let her use that and let it remember her defaults.

I use Chrome on my signon and it works pretty good. I also have another computer that I am on alone and I use IE on that one just because of bookmarks.

Chrome had a problem with printing but Cntl P now prints a document correctly

I love the search much better, just one place to put stuff and it does it.

I can't see any speed difference. The only other feature that is handy is the ability to open a new incognito window. This one does not leave tracks on your computer for the sites that you may have opened. I would think this would be handy on a work computer where the checkers couldn't see your history.

I don't work so I wouldn't know.,

I've used Gmail for 3 or 4 years now and I haven't had a problem. Just used it a second ago and I haven't lost anything.

I would think that setting is strictly for your Windows updates. Chrome or other programs would not be affected by turning off those updates. Many programs have their own options or settings where you can set your update preferences.

As far as Windows 8 goes, from what I read that is only in Beta format right now which means you'd be using an experimental product that doesn't have the bugs out yet. Unless you're very knowledgeable about computers, I'd stay away from it.

Jim;

You are correct, the updates I have disabled are windows updates only. I should have mentioned that.

Thanks for your thoughts on windows 8. Sort of what I was thinking and I will stay away from it.

Just heard on the news Google G-Mail had a big problem today! Most peoples accounts got emptied/changed by some bug. Google promises to get everyones E mail account back up and like it was!

i use Gmail frequently, and mine is still perfectly fine. now, back to chrome, we started using it a month or two ago because firefox was going just painfully slow, even though the computer is clean and whatnot, but chrome works fine for us!

I was using Chrome and liked it but now it will not allow me to access my Comcast (my internet provider) email. I contacted Comcast and was told the problem was the browser I was using so I don't use Chrome anymore.

Jim Yergin

Hello Don,

I'm curious about that message you are getting at boot-up for "Windows 8".

I can't imagine any scenario where Microsoft would be soliciting average PC users to upgrade to a beta version of their software. Nor am I aware of even an early beta of the next version of Windows being available yet for evaluation, let alone distribution.

(Disclaimer - I am by no means an expert, but I am a bit of a PC geek, so I am usually up on these things.)

Long story short, FWIW I would be wary of that message - it doesn't sound authentic. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by kbuhagiar

You are correct Ed. It is asking to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8. Does this no both my laptop and desk top computers.

In that case I'd go for it. I'm still stuck using IE6 at work but I have 8 at home and like it. I skipped right over 7.