GAS tank springs

ggdad1951

McMaster has all types of springs and would probably be a less expensive option.

here's an example of something that might be able to be used for the gas tank ( there are a lot of sizes available, so I don't know if this is right ).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-and-die-springs/=du0wgq

for the pedal return springs I have found ZERO off the shelf replacements in SS...VPW does have them in carbon steel and not too spendy, but....mmmm STAINLESSS <drool>

• 1 month later...

JUST got my SS spring package (brake and clutch return springs, throttle linkage springs) from Downunder...so nice, I almost don't want to put them on!

• Haha 1

• 8 years later...

I came across this nine year old thread today for the first time and it helped me realize that I had mounted the back end of my gas tank incorrectly. (The rear flange of my tank was below the mounting bracket instead of on top.) I'll fix that mistake later. But what became of the SS spring project? If all that good information about spring and spacer sizes, dimensions, and materials hasn't disappeared into the dustbin of history, it would be great to collect it into one place for future reference. Maybe then it could be added to the technical section of the site? Does anyone still have this data? I managed to grab some dimensions from postings, but not everything. Is anyone still making the parts from SS? 

I had quite a few SS springs made for numerous truck applications here in Oz... but I have since lost contact with my supplier. I’ve had to have a prolonged break from truck things due to a nasty separation from a cheating wife, but I hope to get back into things one day soon. I’ll have to get back to my sheds one day soon to see if I have any springs left.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your former wife. I can't think of anything more hurtful and dishonest. Best wishes to you in the future! But thank you for responding even though this thread is as old as it is. It would be nice if a comprehensive list could be compiled of every Pilothouse spring including dimensions, material thicknesses, etc. That way in the future it would be possible to reproduce them once again or at least make it easier to find similar replacements. From quickly going through the other posts, I gathered the following:

1. Gas Tank Spacer: 1.25 inches long, 13/32 hole diameter, 1/32 material thickness

2. Gas Tank Rear Bolts: 3/8 fine thread

3. Gas Tank Springs: .575 ID

4. Throttle Spring 14-14-4 (two sizes): .380 or .440 OD.

My motivation: I have several missing springs on my B3B.  Having factory dimensions would make it easy to find similar replacements if not exact ones.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
add a comment

On 2/27/2011 at 9:16 AM, ggdad1951 said:

ok, I admit it, I have a spring problem.....:o

I cut off the springs for the rear of the gas tank, but can't find the leavings to find replacements...any help?

PS....still looking for the e-brake spring....:(

Ok you have my curiosity peaked .... do they have rear springs? .... Just asking for a buddy  ;)

I took my tank out last year, tossed it in the scrap metal pile ... I know I still need to take the front bracket/springs off and pull the float just because ... I had no rear springs. Only front.

I think I understand how the springs work, to adsorb shock and prevent metal fatigue. I just assumed only the front had springs? .... I will admit my tank had some damage and bubblegum repair on the bottom, possible someone removed it before me.

All that said, I am not restoring. I planned on just cutting sections out of radiator hoses and making spacers for the tank to the metal mounting brackets. I am sure Haggerty would beat me up for that.

18 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Ok you have my curiosity peaked .... do they have rear springs? .... Just asking for a buddy  ;)

I took my tank out last year, tossed it in the scrap metal pile ... I know I still need to take the front bracket/springs off and pull the float just because ... I had no rear springs. Only front.

I think I understand how the springs work, to adsorb shock and prevent metal fatigue. I just assumed only the front had springs? .... I will admit my tank had some damage and bubblegum repair on the bottom, possible someone removed it before me.

All that said, I am not restoring. I planned on just cutting sections out of radiator hoses and making spacers for the tank to the metal mounting brackets. I am sure Haggerty would beat me up for that.

if memory serves me well this early on a Monday (at least I think it's Monday...no idea anymore) the front is hard bolted to the x-member and the rear has the spring set up to account for frame flex.   This is for the 1 ton.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

if memory serves me well this early on a Monday (at least I think it's Monday...no idea anymore) the front is hard bolted to the x-member and the rear has the spring set up to account for frame flex.   This is for the 1 ton.

51 1/2 ton is the same as your 1 ton.

Yep, thanks, I just got the tank sitting backwards in the junk pile, confused the front with the rear. ?

Somehow I misinterpreted your words thinking there were 4 springs while I only had 2

.@ggdad1951 Did you get all the info you needed for the springs? be a good project for me today to pull them from the "rear" bracket and see if they are reusable.

Holler if you need anything from them.

38 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Yep, thanks, I just got the tank sitting backwards in the junk pile, confused the front with the rear. ?

Somehow I misinterpreted your words thinking there were 4 springs while I only had 2

.@ggdad1951 Did you get all the info you needed for the springs? be a good project for me today to pull them from the "rear" bracket and see if they are reusable.

Holler if you need anything from them.

LOL that was 2011...all done LONG ago!

• 1 year later...