some progress...

52b3b Joe

I'm glad to hear that your truck now runs as good as it looks...great job!

Maybe on your return trip, you could bring your own PPE:  face shield, safety glasses, earplugs...that way ya might have a better chance at taking a look at the operation cuz of your professional approach to machining :cool:

10 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Wow what an awesome truck.  It was fun reading through this thread :)

Thanks! I admit, it has been a long time since I read through it too, and I still have fun reading it. I'm happy I did the project even if I really didn't have the best funds for it. Now that I'm out of school and working, I don't think I would have ever got it done! I can't seem to finish our 48 Desoto that my dad and I are putting rocker panels in right now!

7 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I'm glad to hear that your truck now runs as good as it looks...great job!

Maybe on your return trip, you could bring your own PPE:  face shield, safety glasses, earplugs...that way ya might have a better chance at taking a look at the operation cuz of your professional approach to machining :cool:

Lol, he would probably let me in if he say my father in-law's home machine shop! His shop is probably cleaner! The only thing I can fit in my garage is my 9" Southbend Lathe, and that make enough chips! 

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted a whole lot lately probably because I'm out enjoying the truck! Here's a couple videos from driving back from a cruise night (about 1.25 hours away from my house). When I left the house the weather was perfect. I got to the show and it started raining, and it rained the entire drive home. My windshield leaks pretty bad, so Saturday it has an appointment with a local shop to seal it better.

I've also been playing with the speedometer. It seems to catch around 40 mph until around 50. It also bounces a lot. Last night I changed the cable and it acted different all together (not in a good way). I sent it out to have the mechanical parts checked out when I restored the truck, but it still isn't right so it will be heading back to them. Kevin did the gauge faces and the speedometer face. It still looks great and is holding up perfect! Its been few years since he did it now I think. I couldn't be happier with how they look! Out of curiosity last night, I swapped in a very nice original speedometer that I bought for $15 at a swap meet. The swap meet speedometer works perfect. Its smooth, doesn't bounce, and is accurate (minus the rear end ratio difference). Maybe I can make one good out of the both?

Anyway, here are somewhat boring videos.

P.S. - I'm really happy with the radio setup in the truck, it sounds great and works perfect! 

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Sweet. Where did you find those perfect hupcaps?

My wife bought them as my Christmas gift a few years ago from Roberts. http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/store/hub-cap-assembly-dodge-truck-1948-1953-dt-12-34-ton-1

They are VERY nice! 

• 2 years later...

Holy smokes it's been a while since I posted on this tread (or on the forum for that matter)! I thought I'd share my most recent purchase! I've been wanting a small utility trailer for around our yard for brush and use around town as needed, and I think I found the perfect one! It's a B series 1/2 ton bed trailer. A local farmer that I know had it and told me to make an offer. I did, and I picked it up last night. I really wish that I had this bed when I restored my truck. This bed is in GREAT shape. The original floor is even nice. They bought the truck new, and it ended up in an accident that took the front of the truck out,. They brought it home and made the trailer. Someday I'll get around to blasting and painting it, but for now it will work. This should be fun to pull behind my 1/2 ton to get mulch and lumber as needed once I make the trailer safe to go down the road!

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nice find. Even has a hitch so you can pull tandems. Now you gotta find another one. ?

I always knew I'd use my doubles/triples endorsement on my CDL someday! 

nice! 

I haven't worked on my "caboose" project in YEARS.....the headboard and tailgate costs are keeping on the back burner

Hoe's that COE coming along?  :)

6 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

nice! 

I haven't worked on my "caboose" project in YEARS.....the headboard and tailgate costs are keeping on the back burner

Hoe's that COE coming along?  :)

I look at the truck sitting in the barn all the time. I even opened the hood to look for mice on Sunday! BUT....that's about it lol. My house and other priorities keep me busy! Once I'm done with the house and yard, I should have some time to start playing in the garage again! I really think that my son is going to be my right hand man in the garage. He really seems to like car/trucks/tractors. My fingers are crossed! IMG_0955.jpg.dfa14d9eecc194ddc961ffca326d7156.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

that's it...off to the orphanarium with him!

LOL, a little harsh don't you think? I say make him come to the BBQ next year.... we'll learn him. :D  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Joe he bent your horn ring!! :lol:

No, I broke the ring! The grove that holds the big snap ring to retain the plate and spring was broken when I bought the truck. I made a new one in a lathe out of plastic and epoxied it on when I restored the truck, but apparently I need to come up with a better material because its doing the same thing again. I'm waiting until the ring falls off! 

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the trailer over and got it plated the weekend after I bought it. It's been steady at work since hauling landscape materials, plants, a tree, and I've hauled 4 yards of mulch with it. It will haul 2 yards of mulch per load. I'm definitely getting the rust knocked off the springs on the trailer. I get tons of compliments and looks doing all my work with the 52 and trailer! I think I'll need another 4 yards of mulch to finish the front out! 1.jpg.7500df5cd68f03ae1d5fd06b7eda6330.jpg2.jpg.d1f05d065a8e94f0df60ef24871c5124.jpg

• Like 5

Very cool Joe! 

It even made that F@rd  hide behind the tree ?

Edited by Brent B3B
spelling