Preventing battery drain.

PatS....

This might be useful in helping to prevent a dead battery in a vehicle not used regularly. It also has a remote control disconnect for anti-theft. Comes in a 6 volt version not mentioned on the website

"Battery Brain Gold

Prevent a Dead Battery with added security

Monitors the battery and disconnects the electrical system if insufficient battery power is detected to start the engine. Offers remote control reconnection. The remote can also be used to disconnect when leaving the vehicle as an Anti-Theft feature.Save Yourself from Being Stranded

Don’t let extreme weather make you worry about whether or not your car will start. Let Battery Brain be your failsafe against whatever is thrown your way! Never be stranded again!Vehicles using Battery Brain are Ensured to Start

No matter the circumstances, vehicles using Battery Brain are guaranteed to start under any conditions. Battery Brain works on any vehicle, old or

new, that uses a conventional lead acid batterytype3pic.gif

Now here's what I use all the time and I have run this here before. I have a battery cut oft switch for long time storage and those cables go out and to the front of the car and connect to my trickle charger for short duration of charging (I installed this so I would not have to open the hood to place cables on battery) JonDSC01106.jpg

I use that cutoff switch on the right with the two cables running to it. Happened to go in a firewall hole already there. Can turn it on or off from under the dash. If a charge is needed, I use my old Sears 6/12V trickle charger. It seems lately that due to some new wiring in certain areas, the drain is not much. Often times I don't even turn the switch to off while parked in the garage. Also can act as an anti-theft device. IM004057.jpg

• 3 years later...
I just have a battery cut off switch also so I control the power that I use because I drive the car every other weekend if that. Also it's 6 volts and I do not have a charger.

I simply have a wiring harness that is in good shape and I leave the ignition off. Can sit for months at a time that way.

Now the car had an electric clock or some other built in continuous load that might be another story. But those are usually low power (clocks, etc.) and a simple switch on those circuits would do the trick. I guess I just don't get the logic of a extra high current capable device to get in the path between the battery and the starter.