PART NUMBER Look-Up Thread.

Roadkingcoupe

As for the part number,Shel is correct - according to "M0PAR STREAMLINER" (1949) the number is the same for both the 1939 Dodge and Desoto (853 295).

• Like 1

I also highly recommend any older original lighting switch to be wired to operate a relay for the headlamps so to remove all the high current from the inner contacts of the switch..this relay and proper placement between the supply voltage and the input to the headlight dimmer will allows for use of only one relay and give the switch an extended life..

Would you be able to give me a pointer on how wire this configuration. I have a vintage relay, schematics, ohm and voltage tester but I'm not sure I have the right understanding of how to wire the switch to work through a relay. Would I need to change how its wired at the switch or dimmer?

with all dues respect, this is about as simple of a wiring modification one can do to their car's wiring.  The relay wiring is per the actual relay you choose to use...also per the switch pin -out you have or plan to use...you need only to remember that the light switch will power up the relay, the relay will transfer power from the battery through a circuit breaker to the relay (protects relay and wiring) to the input of the dimmer switch.  Not to cut you short mind you with this answer but I cannot in any manner give you a point to point on unknown components.  again, relay inline, coil voltage picked up by headlight switch, headlight power and transfer direct from the battery through a protective breaker and straight to the input of your dimmer switch, 

Chet, who is a member of this forum, years ago, kindly scanned and posted the 1936-1948 Plymouth Parts Book on his web site. It may be found at:

http://www.1948plymouth.info/1948p15/DocumentWeb/default.php

The password is password.

I have used it often and am very grateful to Chet.

Jim Yergin

• Like 3

Wondering if you can help.... i Have a 1937 Dodge MD20 (3/4 or 1 ton?) truck. Been searching for rear brake shoe linings (2x13"). wondering what the original part numbers were.....so if i come across some at a swap meet ill know what to get..... they are 13" drums. Thanks in advance if you can help.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a part number for a seal I need.  It is MOPAR #653194.  I just need to know where I can buy it.

Thanks for any help

collectorsautosupply.com    653194 steering gear tube seal  $10 + ship may delay while they out source it

arizonaparts.com   $1.25  + ship

ams obsolete  (fmmpar on ebay) contact directly for price

MAY OR MAY NOT CROSS  to Timken, or National  470567    Source through many parts stores

Edit 2: check 470567 on line specs for size, and compare to your needs

Edit: dpmotorparts.com  Len Dawson deception pass motor parts

Edited by shel_ny

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice on how to put this seal on the tube?  I took the cover plate off and the tube is attached to the plate at the end of the steering column.  The tube is too long and I can't slide the cover and tube out of the steering gear box because it hits on the frame.  I could split the seal and put it on the tube but that seems to be defeating the idea.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is a 50 plymouth special deluxe that I am trying to put this seal on.  I haven't ordered the seal yet because Arizonaparts said they would be closed until the middle of January.

Thanks,

Don't know anything about the install. Have not done it. May require removal from the vehicle to be done.

Arizonaparts will likely be old stock leather. If you go with that one be sure to soak the leather well before installing to get a good fit.

If the Timken, or National seals spec out to the right size they may be a better way. Neoprene, or nitrile lip.

Available Rock Auto, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, NAPA, and probably the local "mom n pop". (and ebay if you want to pay 2 to 4 times as much)

I will try the Timken or National.  I agree, even though I like to keep things close to original I have to believe Neoprene would be much better.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Could someone provide me with a part number for the inner wheel bearing seal for a 1937 Plymouth coupe please?  It's the one you drive in after the ineer bearing is packed and iin place.

Just hoping to find seals locally rather than ordering online, and the original seals (or whatever very old seals I took off yesterday) had no part number at all.

Thank you!

Have you had a look at the infoTod's site?

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group3

I have,but honestly forgot it was this encompassing....  I'll look through the info.  Thanks for the reminder!

EDIT:  I don't see any reference to the inner bearing seal.  I'll see what NAPA has for information tomorrow.

Edited by thebeebe5

I have,but honestly forgot it was this encompassing....  I'll look through the info.  Thanks for the reminder!

EDIT:  I don't see any reference to the inner bearing seal.  I'll see what NAPA has for information tomorrow.

That may be because you are thinking like a person, not like a Chrysler parts engineer. Front wheel bearing stuff is not in the front or rear axle groups in the parts book but rather in group 22, wheels.

I think the part you are looking for is part group 22-06-18 "Front wheel hub dust seal assembly". For 1937 through 1948 that would be part 668479 which I think crosses to NAPA NOS 17145.

See:

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group22#22-06-18

And:

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group22#668479

• Like 2

That may be because you are thinking like a person, not like a Chrysler parts engineer. Front wheel bearing stuff is not in the front or rear axle groups in the parts book but rather in group 22, wheels.

I think the part you are looking for is part group 22-06-18 "Front wheel hub dust seal assembly". For 1937 through 1948 that would be part 668479 which I think crosses to NAPA NOS 17145.

See:

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group22#22-06-18

And:

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group22#668479

Tod,

Saw the "dust seal assy" and figured it was the felt-like seal that is riveted to the backing plate that goes around the outside lip of the hub.... I'll see that NAPA has for these seals you list and find out if they'll be correct.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have two OEM headlight buckets in original Mopar boxes. PC 914288 LH. It is complete unit, Glass (3644) small trim ring, bulbs wiring harness and color black. designed to vertical mount. I have a second one that is primed in box PC 599690, glass (3644) no trim ring, bulbs, wiring harness. but the base is riveted on vice spot weld. It has a date of May 20, 1941 on reflector. Both are 7-1/2 deep and with lens opening of 7-1/2. I suspect trucks 36 and 39. They are duplicates except for rivets vice spot weld. Any help please. They need a home.

Thanks

Harold

DSC05090.JPG

DSC05091.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a right side anti sway bar link  for my 39 dodge business coupe and was wondering if you could find the part number for me have been looking for a long time now. Thanks Gary

• 1 year later...

I'm very new to this forum so forgive me if I'm asking something that may have already been answered that I haven't found yet.

Is there any interest or does something already exist where folks can search a library of scanned documents in one location.  I saw the idea brought up earlier in this thread but I don't know if there was any traction.  For example, I scanned the 1948 Chrysler parts book for myself.  I have the files available and don't mind posting it somewhere.  I've found that what a lot of folks have posted already has helped me a ton and I "collect" electronic versions of as many resources as I can for my 1948 Chrysler Windsor.  

If anybody can point me in the right direction, please do.  Perhaps it is a club or a website that I haven't found yet but I'd like to contribute and see what else is out there.  I like the idea of getting a few folks in on chipping in on buying and scanning documents but I imagine it might be too tough if the documents are not specific enough to apply to everyone.  I also have hardcopies of some original autolite books and supersedence manuals that I haven't found reprints of or found electronically.

Thanks,

Christian