I'm back

mrwrstory

If I remember right you were installing a different front suspension on your P-15 where you cut out the spring pockets and finished the outside of the frame flat? That was a very interesting project, I would like to see how it looks finished.

With a lot of "hand holding" I finally got da trick of posting photos. Here's the front suspension as of six years ago,...and today.

121-2138_img.jpg

108-0846_img.jpg

Where abouts did ya find yer barn find Mr. Bill ??? ( I only ask because I married a wonderful Lady from Clovis NM !!!) Cass, alias Littlemo...

Sorry for the delay in responding. You may have seen my struggle to get pics on The Forum. I think I got it now.

I bought the 40 from Archie Lewis in Moriarty in June of 07. The year before a friend (w/34 Phaeton) and I stopped at his new place after spotting it, throught the fence, on I-40. He had rows of 30's Fords and said right up front, none were for sale. I spotted the 40 and couldn't stop thinking about it. I called him months later and asked, "what about that old Plymouth?" I scored!

IM000161.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lessee,...here goes Img_1220.jpg

DAMN! IT WORKED, THANKS Don and aero3113. Hope I can remember

That Phaeton was staying at the same hotel I stayed at for the Lone Star Round up last year. Was with a mid 50's Ford, a Nomad and a green roadster that looked bone stock but was running a V8.

Talked with them for a few minutes one evening in the parking lot and they said they were from So Cal.

832235618_FyrDV-S.jpg

832234923_SQBXt-S.jpg

832235385_yfh3T-S.jpg

832235115_9xsa2-S.jpg

hkestes41, The Green Ford station wagon in your photo is Bill Story's car, it is featured in the March 2011 edition of Streetrodder Magizine on page 56. Did you take the picture at the Lone Star round up last year?

Yes, the picture was taken at the Double Tree on 35 near the UT Baseball Stadium.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Again,

What a rush seein the pics from Lone Star Roundup. We had a good group touring to Texas from Calif. FYI, the lady looking at the Phaeton is the owner/driver of the Nomad. And, the green roadster is a Chevy and has a V8 under the stock sheetmetal. Poor guy was fighting tire problems the whole trip. Blew a tire on the way out of town and crashed. Spent the night in the hospital getting stiched up. (Beware of "new old tires".) Next day lost an axle when the bearing went because of a bent wheel that went undetected. He finally got back to Calif. on "the hook".

I have a lucky pic of the axle exiting the car that I discovered after returning home. I'll try to find and post it.

Hi Again,

What a rush seein the pics from Lone Star Roundup. We had a good group touring to Texas from Calif. FYI, the lady looking at the Phaeton is the owner/driver of the Nomad. And, the green roadster is a Chevy and has a V8 under the stock sheetmetal. Poor guy was fighting tire problems the whole trip. Blew a tire on the way out of town and crashed. Spent the night in the hospital getting stiched up. (Beware of "new old tires".) Next day lost an axle when the bearing went because of a bent wheel that went undetected. He finally got back to Calif. on "the hook".

I have a lucky pic of the axle exiting the car that I discovered after returning home. I'll try to find and post it.

Here they are.

IMG_8521.jpg

Is the smoke from the tire blowing?

IMG_8595.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg

Edited by Alshere59

I am really discouraged! I'd like to share this stuff with ya'll but I'll be "dipped" if I can figure out how to participate in and gracefully navigate this site. Maybe it's me but I don't have this problem with several other forums I participate in. Just posting pics is a major chore that I have yet to understand. I'm about to give up!

This help any? See note in red text and the yellow underline is what you would click.

Hitting enter after you paste each link stacks them.

Hitting enter after you paste then typing text puts the text below the picture.

Hope this helps. If you right click the attached pic you can print or save it, until it becomes a bit more familiar.

Al

post-7005-13585359683428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alshere59
Added options

Okay already!!!! Here goes again.....again

IMG_8532.jpg

This is the result of the second tire failure. The first was on the way to Austin. Friend, Tak, bought two new ones in Austin. They were Michlens but of course Costco would not mount them because they didn't have torque specs for a 31 Chevy. Figured we were okay to head home to Calif. Second NOS tire blew on the way outta Austin. Put my friend into the rail, buggered up his car pretty good and sent him to the hospital.

IMG_8521.jpg

Notice the chink in his noggin,...left temple.

IMG_8595.jpg

So we're on the road again and I'm snappin pic over my shoulder out the rear window. Never noticed the oil smoke out side of El Paso.

IMG_8603.jpg

Still snappin pics but then I notice my bud isn't in my rear view mirror any more. Pull to the shoulder and a Border Patrol car comes up and says, "that your buddy back there?

We had replaced one wheel but apparently the other was bent in the earlier mishap, screwed up the seal, fried the bearing and,..... you see the results.

Had to leave the car in Texas and have it shipped home. Didn't even know I had the last two pics until I got home. MORAL TO THE STORY,...DON'T USE OLD TIRES EVEN IF THEY ARE NEW!

And, thank you Al for your tutorial. Looks like it worked!

Edited by mrwrstory
wanted to thank a forum member for his help

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here we go again. A month ago I threatened, "I'll be back." Been bumblin around tryin to make good on that promise. Finally got to it today. Spent most of the time tryin to remember where I left off, six years ago, and why I did what I did.

Decided to start at the trunk 'cause it's the most accessable. I had modified the spare tire well and relocated the gas tank because the car will be quite low and I was determined to have dual exhaust pipes exiting near the center of the rearend. (I have a sketch if that somewhere)

The new spare well was made from a trailer fender. The tank is from a mid-60's Chevy,...I think. The reason for that choice was that the tank is normally mounted as you see it here, i.e. verticle and that still leaves me pretty good room. I need to recover the origin/application of the tank as I'm remembering both the tank and fuel level sending units are available as reproductions.

Img_2719a.jpg

Img_2722a.jpg

113-1386a_img.jpg

First order of business is to fabricate a steel bulkhead to isolate the tank and trunk from the rear seat back.

Tank looks like an inside cab tank for a 50s to early 70s chevy pick up tank.

In the process of trying to discover why I made the decisions I did years ago, I had to dig for the tanks info. I bought it at a swap meet because it was vertical in the stock installation. Turns out it's a 61-64 Full size Chevy. Other part of the rationale is that I could buy a new fuel level sending unit. At the time, I had given up on the idea of getting the original gauge working with the Mopar electrics.

I put way too much money into cleaning and sealing the used Chevy tank. Turnes out I can also buy a new reproduction unit for less. :(

Earlier I mentioned center exhaust @ the rear. Here's the "sketch". Now that I look at it years later, I think oval outlets would look much better.

megafones1_img.jpg

I have also posted an updated collection of reference pics of the project on PhotoBucket for anyone who is interested.

• 2 months later...

Maybe a little big but, I think this looks better. The space between the exhaust tips is for a trail hitch "slip tube". The frame was reinforced for it when the body was off.

megafones1_imgA.jpg

I love the work you have done and the gas tank/spare tire work is PRIMO! great going!!!!

Okay guys,...I'm back again. Interesting how optimistic I can be about progress. Bet that doesn't happen to ya'll. ;)

Anyway, got the bulkhead done and sealed around the perimeter. good to have steel between people and gasoline. Bent the fuel delivery and vent lines and mounted the tank for the last time. Fabbed the spare restraint and painted everything as you see.

Img_2734.jpg

Img_2850.jpg

Img_3098.jpg

Img_3092.jpg

There are a few more pics on

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v92/wstory/PlyProj2011/

I have also started on the battery box and seat base

Img_3052.jpg