crank case breather cleaning

ggdad1951

I need the "old" one...about 2" high and has an oval cut out on the side. Raised ring detail on the top and key's into the breather pipe...I've got one of the new tuna can ones...so tiny compared to my old one, no cut out and no key for the breather.

Got a picture of the original ones? I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow....its at work right now.

I don't but I can take one. Those are the same ones I was thinking of.

Ok Mark so far I spoke too soon. The one I found is the same size and shape as yours but the opening is about twice as big. I guess that makes at least 3 styles. I think I have at least one more laying about the garage at Dads.

• 8 years later...
On 1/8/2011 at 1:15 PM, Tom Skinner said:

OK Fellows here's how it was done!

Pour some Kerosene into it - light it on fire and let it burn all the way out.

Bang it against a Column or Slab somewhere and beat all the rust - crap

as you said out of it.

Soak it in oil.

Let Drain for a day.

Clean and Paint outside.

Put on Decals

Re-install.

Everything is new again.

Fire seems to do the trick.

Tom

post-897-13585358880107_thumb.jpg

Yep, old thread but still meaningful :)

I tried Tom's method above and the Kerosene only burns for a few minutes before it goes out.  I had to light it with my Acetylene torch just to get it to ignite because a regular barbecue lighter wouldn't do the trick!  I don't believe I've ever tried to burn anything with Kerosene before other than the old wick lanterns.  

So what am I doing wrong?!

Thanks,

Brad

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

I have used an oily shop rag soaked in diesel to get diesel to burn on whatever, the rag gets hot enough to ignite the other diesel without flaming out...

Right now it's filled with kerosene.  If ggdad1951's tip doesn't work I'll try diesel.  

I was rather surprised the kerosene didn't keep burning.  I figured I'd have to big of a fire, not a continual flame out!