Starting problems?????

Arthur1947

The starter bendix energizes itself as the atarter spins. If it is not engaging it probably iether dinged or dirty. You may also have s ection of the flywheel where the teeth of the ring gear are missing or worn. Pull off the sheetmetal inspection cover and check the condition of the ring gear. If it is OK then the starter needs at them minimum cleaned up or serviced.

• 2 months later...

Arthur, i was wondering if you had luck getting your starter to work. i removed mine and cleaned it all up, lubricated it with high temp grease (kinda over kill, i know!) and it work well for two days..now its back to spinning. i will remove it and send it to get rebuild! but just wondered if you found something different with yours! :)

Arthur, i was wondering if you had luck getting your starter to work. i removed mine and cleaned it all up, lubricated it with high temp grease (kinda over kill, i know!) and it work well for two days..now its back to spinning. i will remove it and send it to get rebuild! but just wondered if you found something different with yours! :)

Mackster, The grease probably was flung onto the armature and brushes causing it to spin too slowly. Take it apart and clean, then use proper viscosity oil on the oil lite bearings. Might save you a few bucks.