Ubolts on rear leaf springs

Guest Dave Claussen

Guest Dave Claussen

My B3C, being a 3/4 ton, has helper springs that are on top of the standard rear leafs. I'm swapping out the old mopar rear end for a F**d 9" rear in my upgrade and I'm leaving out the helpers. My question is, are the U bolts an item that should not be reused. They seem to be solid but they are giving me a lot of trouble getting them off. The drivers' side came off with a lot of work, but the passengers' side is not being so cooperative. I have hit a point where I can't get the nuts to move at all. I have a burning desire to just take my angle grinder and cutoff wheel and just get it over with. I found new U bolts to mount up the new rear end and spring assembly. Besides the old U bolts are going to be too long without the helpers going back in. Any suggestions before I turn them into scrap metal?

Guest Dave Claussen

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. I tried soaking them for two weeks with PB blaster after wire brushing the rust off and it didn't seem to help at all. The threads look iffy at best so I'm just going to cut 'em off and save myself a lot of huffin' and puffin and possibly throwing my back out for nothing. On a side note I have a rear end that I'm relatively sure is original to the truck. According to Bunn's book, I think it's a 4.1:1 ratio. Maybe someone can confirm that for me? If anyone's looking for one of these or wants more info about it, please contact me through the private message system or through my email. Thanks for the push in the right direction, Ken. Appreciate it as always. Dave

• 13 years later...

Yep my truck came with a 4.10 gear ratio rear axle. You can jack up one side of the rear and turn a tire while you watch the driveshaft to rough check the gear ratio. 

The U bolts? Assuming you can source new ones cut those suckers off. No sense wasting energy unscrewing stubborn scrap metal.

20 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you know, you replied to a 14 year old thread.....a guest to boot with no membership or current activity.....some of this stuff is archived for no good reason...

huh yeah I have no idea how I did that as far as I know I was just scrolling the recent posts killing a few minutes...

must have hit a wierd hotlink to end up at his post I’m at a loss