Show your tools.

Don Coatney

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

snagged this for a 12.00 bill, well I did not have a twelve dollar bill so I gave them 4 three dollar bills...

Local pawn shop is the only way to fly for good quality tools...these are Lisle brand...

Image 1 - Lisle 27200 12 Piece Torx Bit Set

I grabbed a set of those from harbor freight when I needed to get seatbelt anchor bolts out of the Dakota cab. Life savers!

• 1 month later...

This evening I made the last tool to compliment my Bend Pak alignment lift and round out what I need to do alignments.  These can be anywhere from 35-65 bucks on e-bays.  This I made from a caulk gun I bought new at the swap meet for 1.00 and the metal rod with nuts....free as they were discarded items I had picked up.  The rubber foot, not sure where I snagged this in the past, was in my box of do-dads for when I project a bit on small stuff.  Turned a collar, cut a piece of flat steel, drilled and threaded 4 bolt holes, painted the parts red and let the big dog eat.

IMG_4726.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I finally got a good welder.  A Miller Multimatic 215.  MIG/TIG and stick capable.  With automatic settings and a gas purge.  It's the new inverter technology and time will tell if that was a good choice.  Got it from a local guy that does the service and warranty work on these machines in this area.  I didn't get the TIG gun - Not sure I need that.  So far I'm happy with it but I don't have much welding experience to compare it to.  The first thing I welded on was the cheap welding cart I got from HF.  Probably going to start from scratch and build a good cart.

Today I'm going to start welding together a sit down creeper.  Got the metal to build it at a local shop for about 30 dollars.  More news latter about that.

IMG_20220624_123707813_2.jpg

• Like 2

It has been a number of years and well I am guessing maybe the Harbor Freight carts may have taken a hit in quality and initial weight of materials use...but the two I have are very well designed and are extremely sturdy items.  Even the HF cart with the large bike tires on the OXY/GAS cart has given me zero issues.  These are not however in a open shop enviroment with multiple users who may or may not handle things as IF THEIR OWN   Many shop employees could tear up an anvil.  I long back bought the Miller 180 Conversion Tig welder.....bought specific for what little aluminum welding I may need done....has pulled the fat out of the fire a few times and thus pleased.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

just looked online....while I cannot say if quality was changed, the price is surely up there now....still in line given the cost of new steel for fabrication and within reason for an instant bolt together satisfaction  I am thinking I made a running change on the assembly when bolting together but cannot recall what it was but think it had to do with the tank chains......just proves yet again, cost of living going up and chance of living going down.

The main problem with this cart is that it is narrow.  The welder is almost 40 pounds and with the tank on board it wants to tip over.  If the wheels were further apart it would probably work better.  And yes the chains do not hold the tank well at all.  I'll come up with a better strap for that.  I'll try a wider stance for the cart before I build another one.

I need to build a cart also in the worse way.  Here is my temporary cart. (for past 3 years) This only works if you are a grumpy old man like me with no friends .... I can keep the bottle upright. If people come by the garage I chase them off so they do not knock the bottle over.

0704221317.jpg.c2599031c7868ae3adcee456a782bb86.jpg

Just pointing out what not to do.

Since you are interested in building a cart, going to share a video from Fitzee on building a cart.

He has a lot of good ideas and have built a few in the past ... Well worth watching if you want to build one from scratch.

I am often plagued by the want to do all the stuff for myself but then there are times when I realize for just a few dollars when an item is on sale and good coupon in my pocket, just spent a couple bucks and have it done and behind you as you spend your time on those items you just cannot find local or for that matter ready to hand via a catalog or online shopping venue.  Some things are just not worth putting off and in this case as you are nervous of others about the shop and tipping things over...but three years....works for you it seems.  

On 11/29/2010 at 11:16 AM, JIPJOBXX said:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/1942%20Dodge/l_5d8fd5fa3c9c9fd785a70cd240c3776c.jpg

Now this is a common tool and can really help out in a tight squeeze!

And here is a tool I made up to just take a sweap of my rear brake shoes! Works and only cost about 5 dollars for pipe fittings.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/1942%20Dodge/?action=view&current=DSC01987.jpg

glad its a plymouth

You are 100% correct in your opinion PA. Sometimes we spend a dollar to save a nickel.

Really is a art to distinguish when to buy or build.

I'm in the mindset that when you buy a welder, building a new cart is a perfect time to learn to use it.

Building the cart will give you a great opportunity to learn the quirks of your welder.

So when you build your cart you could have saved $10 & bought one, Or you just gained $1K worth of schooling to build your own.

There is a lot to say for either approach. @Plymouthy Adams does not need a welding lesson.

I actually got my welding lesson creating a front hood for a riding lawn mower. .... Because it needed to be done.

We all have different ideas of schooling.

18 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Since you are interested in building a cart, going to share a video from Fitzee on building a cart.

He has a lot of good ideas and have built a few in the past ... Well worth watching if you want to build one from scratch.

Thanks for the video.  That gave me a good idea.  Start with a hand truck.  And just add to it.

This is what I have now.  I had to modify it to fit this welder.  As you can see it doesn't look stable.

Miller 215.jpg

1 hour ago, Kilgore47 said:

Thanks for the video.  That gave me a good idea.  Start with a hand truck.  And just add to it.

A hand truck is a real good idea, I may have to borrow that idea myself.

I also like the idea of pneumatic tires for rolling over clutter. If you are welding, good chance you will have a grinder and extension cords out or a air hose.

With the cart you have, you would have to clear a path to safely navigate.

Also the idea of 2 wheels instead of 4. No welder accidentally rolling into the car scratching the paint.

Also like the idea of a shelf for supplies. rebar to make hooks for cords to hang on. Something to hang your welding clamps on.

After watching Fitzee video on his cart, I really could not be satisfied with a typical cart like you have. It would be a "git me by" until I built one. ...... Basically what I have now.

In fairness, if I'm welding in the garage I do not move the welder. If I'm welding in the carport in front of garage, the 2 left side cabinet wheels rotate & I just move the welder 3' to the doorway ..... so I get by.

I get my gas & bottles from tractor supply. I currently have the medium size bottle. Next time I exchange it for a full bottle, will trade it up for the larger size bottle like yours. Then my existing cabinet will no longer work as is.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, Los_Control said:

I need to build a cart also in the worse way.  Here is my temporary cart. (for past 3 years) This only works if you are a grumpy old man like me with no friends .... I can keep the bottle upright. If people come by the garage I chase them off so they do not knock the bottle over.

0704221317.jpg.c2599031c7868ae3adcee456a782bb86.jpg

Just pointing out what not to do.

a bungee cord or ratchet strap would go a long way towards securing that bottle

• Like 1

Here is one built from a torch bottle cart that followed me home. I cut it down and added a platform for the welder. Has 2 small wheels in the front so it rolls around the shop nice as it sits, or I can tilt it back if I need to. 

SAM_0549.JPG.0377c1c04208caff3d44cf46e20e72c8.JPG

• Like 1

Been practicing with the new welder.  Getting better.  I think I'm getting better at grinding than welding.  Gona make a run today to pick up more grinding and cutting wheels. 

Building a creeper now.  I'll add pictures when it's further along.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

Latest addition to my vintage road emergency kit.

Socket Box 5.jpg

Socket Box 4.jpg

Socket Box 2.jpg

Socket Box 1.jpg

Nice repaint though those don't look like SK tools in that box :)

• Like 1

I have this old Craftsman toolbox that mounts to a wall. HSAM_0619.JPG.0d7acd2d096433d57b8aa722207c8ccb.JPGas images inside the cabinet to help identify where certain tools go for those who have trouble figuring things out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

isn't CMMT the new Craftsman prefix....?

That one sure looks like the warranty replacement I got from Stanley/Black&Decker to replace a Craftsman from Sears.  Mine was a 1/4" but the style is just like that.

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Nice repaint though those don't look like SK tools in that box :)

40 minutes ago, kencombs said:

That one sure looks like the warranty replacement I got from Stanley/Black&Decker to replace a Craftsman from Sears.  Mine was a 1/4" but the style is just like that.

Yup.  They are Craftsman tools.  Mainly showing off the repray and wanted to show the kit in its natural habitat.

it is kinda fun to gather up and clean up and recondition a few old tools now and then.  I have been in the high bay straightening about and got the remaining few common use tools positioned on my roll around tool peg board.  I added a lower shelf inside that you cannot see but allows me to place boxed kits there. Prettyh much have most of the common tools at hand and can place exactly where needed.  I also cut some metal for a table top for a roll around parts/work/tool table for when working under the lift, with locking wheels at all four corners...very stable and yet will stay in place.    I may get organized yet but we are having a bit of fun.  

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

• Like 1

Roll around peg board.  I like it.  I would have to build one that is shorter to go with the sit down creeper.  It could be long instead of tall.  I use the "pile of tools on the floor" method when working under the car. And they always move themselves under the wheels of the creeper?.  One time when I was trying to push past a tool on the floor it turned out to be my phone that had fallen out of my pocket.  Had to get a new phone after that.  

• Sad 1