Show your tools.

Don Coatney

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Not the application but building on the notched record jackets....was this not a DJ's copy distributed by the producers?   

That was my understanding. I have seen many stamped with promotional copy not for sale

Harmony-I have a craftsman 1/4” set that sure looks similar to yours. That flexible driver sure was handy yesterday unscrewing that top nut on the ammeter while contorting under the dash in my ‘36 !   However, the ratchet is S-K

139B3905-8027-4183-985C-D5CD8E12CB40.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Made a tool to adjust the carb float. Very easy to use, the screws are at 5/32”s, it is not easy for me to read numbers under the hood, this eliminates that. If the wood bar lifts, the float is too high. 

5D09C137-4A92-4A98-99F9-78FEB1226C9C.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case I want to balance parts. Good to 11 lbs.  If you zero it with the bowl it won't register under 1 gram.   Not zero'ed  and it can detect .5 grams being added.  Etekcity on Amazon.  

Edited by Bryan

• 1 month later...

added another tool to the inventory today...should have had this purchased long ago.... procrastinated a bit in hope I would find one at the swap meets.....no such luck so ordered in this Snap-On branded item....I am certain now that I have this, next swap meet I will be tripping over them.

caster camber tool.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Just added a Coil and Condenser testing to my collection of tools.  Nice to know if the supply of condensors will be good for my 39 desoto.  I tried this on several of my NOS Autolite condensor and had a great reading of approx .4 MDF's

Tested a newer condensor from one of the major distributor of MoPar Parts and it registered at .2 MDF's

Purchased the unit for $21 plus shipping from ebay another one that looks to be NOS is selling for $150.  Got a great buy.

Rich Hartung

345965449_IMG_5133(1).JPG.41eb5de8b1b03436c5a7cfdf0ae8a415.JPGIMG_5150.JPG.5b2a0b2d9ccb07cf084dbe9c734d9c15.JPGimage.png.a6c7f0175596479a2bcb75bcba291e96.png

• Like 2

I had an audible version.....just charge the capacitor with the coil wire....set it on the counter, Ozzie would be sure to pick it up and if you heard him yell, it held and then discharged as it should.   Well, it worked at least the first time I did this....he got gun shy right quick like.  

42 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I had an audible version.....just charge the capacitor with the coil wire....set it on the counter, Ozzie would be sure to pick it up and if you heard him yell, it held and then discharged as it should.   Well, it worked at least the first time I did this....he got gun shy right quick like.  

Yes that was the old trick used in the repair shops. Ask someone to go get the condenser that you left on the workbench and then you would hear the big zap when they picked it up. Shocked once but never twice.

In my Autol-Lite technicicans training manual it stated that Autolite had two condensors that had a range of .2 - .25 and .25 to approx .35

Rich Hartung

On 12/7/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rodney_Hamon said:

Harmony-I have a craftsman 1/4” set that sure looks similar to yours. That flexible driver sure was handy yesterday unscrewing that top nut on the ammeter while contorting under the dash in my ‘36 !   However, the ratchet is S-K

139B3905-8027-4183-985C-D5CD8E12CB40.jpeg

Yes, you're quite right that does look very similar.  Yep that flex driver comes in handy lots of times.  It's a great tool.

Last night I had the privilege of using my new IR air hammer. I had a harbor freight one before and it wouldn't touch the hot rivets on the truck frame. This one I ground flat as usual and I think before I even had the trigger fully pressed the rivet was flying across the shop. 

IMG_20220408_210642_01.jpg

I've also been eyeing a grypmat for a while now but didn't want to pay the $ for fancy silicone. Discovered today while grabbing an in lb torque wrench that harbor freight has knock offs. Grabbed the large as it was the only size they had. Used it all evening and it's awesome. Pile all the tools on it, little pockets for removed parts, and when done carried the whole works back to the tool box to clean up. 

IMG_20220409_122305.jpg

Quality tools get the job done fast and last many years too!

That's a really nice air hammer.?

• Like 1

I remember when I had my 38 Plymouth and was dropping a 360 into it, it was a field find with nothing but rusty sheet metal and a locked up 218.  Water corroded thru the cylinder walls so not a candidate for restoration.  Anyway, I had a cold chisel, a punch and an hammer.  I took out a number of rivets with just those.  Now days, being old and weak I have moved on to air tools, lol.

Is this a tool, or a big honkin' machine? I spent many months cleaning and repairing this sad, abused boat anchor. Before:

drill press one

After:

20220220_190415

Next project, whack together a sturdy bench for the South Bend on the floor, and I will be truly dangerous.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

nice commercial drill press, this will out last you I am sure.  As for the South Bend, I cannot see how I ever got things done about the home and shop without mine.   Congrats for both items...

Thanks! As much as someone tried their best to kill this thing, all it needed was new bearings, and the runout is around .002. Not precision, but for a drill press, not bad. I'm going to do some research and see if it can be tweaked to do better, but it's already better than gramp's old hand drill and clapped out bits, and my shaky aim. I've already got a half dozen projects lined up for the South Bend...can't wait!

Edited by ratbailey

1 hour ago, ratbailey said:

Thanks! As much as someone tried their best to kill this thing, all it needed was new bearings, and the runout is around .002. Not precision, but for a drill press, not bad. I'm going to do some research and see if it can be tweaked to do better, but it's already better than gramp's old hand drill and clapped out bits, and my shaky aim. I've already got a half dozen projects lined up for the South Bend...can't wait!

I have an old Craftsman pedestal drill press (a bit ashamed to say so, seeing yours...), and it had a good bit of slop in it - that is, you could take hold of the shaft and wobble it back & forth.  I took it all apart and discovered that it wasn't due to wear in the bushings, but that the bushings weren't snug in the drill press frame, or housing.  I discovered that shims cut out of a pop can were exactly the right thickness to take out the slop.  My son bought a sort of lathe attachment for the drill press, but it isn't accurate enough for what I want ("need") to do.

So regarding the SouthBend, I've been looking for a bench-top lathe for a long time.  Some years ago I was at an auction of a small machine shop, and just didn't keep yelling Yep! long enough I guess, or else the other guy simply had more money to play with.  At that same sale a huge lathe went for a good bit less than where I was at on the small Craftsman lathe.  That big one went for low scrap price.  And that's the way it runs around here.  Lots of small machine shops (mostly owned by Amishmen, doing repairs on old hit & miss engines, etc.) around here, and that sort of sale always attracts a bunch of other guys that I wish would just stay home with momma.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I have an old Craftsman pedestal drill press (a bit ashamed to say so, seeing yours...), and it had a good bit of slop in it - that is, you could take hold of the shaft and wobble it back & forth.  I took it all apart and discovered that it wasn't due to wear in the bushings, but that the bushings weren't snug in the drill press frame, or housing.  I discovered that shims cut out of a pop can were exactly the right thickness to take out the slop.  My son bought a sort of lathe attachment for the drill press, but it isn't accurate enough for what I want ("need") to do.

So regarding the SouthBend, I've been looking for a bench-top lathe for a long time.  Some years ago I was at an auction of a small machine shop, and just didn't keep yelling Yep! long enough I guess, or else the other guy simply had more money to play with.  At that same sale a huge lathe went for a good bit less than where I was at on the small Craftsman lathe.  That big one went for low scrap price.  And that's the way it runs around here.  Lots of small machine shops (mostly owned by Amishmen, doing repairs on old hit & miss engines, etc.) around here, and that sort of sale always attracts a bunch of other guys that I wish would just stay home with momma.

Nah man, don't be ashamed! Drill press is better than no drill press. Lots of good work has been done with beer can shims!

I hear you on the lathe frustrations. The South Bend is small, cute and has a cult following that drives up the price. I probably paid too much for this one--as I look at it closer, I see more wrong with it. In my price range, they're all going to be pretty worn out with problems that can't be solved by throwing some new bearings at it. But, it came with tooling, so I can start making chips right away. Keep looking, you'll find something!

Edited by ratbailey