Show your tools.

Don Coatney

Brake light switch socket...

20211119_200958_compress48.jpg

20211119_201016_compress66.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

Almost complete Lockheed brake job tool set...

post-62228-143139001165_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/11/2010 at 12:40 PM, tysouthwick said:

Can I see a pic of what any of you used to pull the water distribution tube?

The bar is aluminium and the wood is turned from a piece of pear. It utilizes the slide bar method.  Against the fixed piece of wood I epoxied a small piece of body steel taken from my parts car.  On the sliding piece I screwed in 3 wood screws.  So it will withstand a lot of blows.  It was matched up for the long block tube (25" )  I've never seen the tube for a short block so I don't know if the teeth will line up for those tubes or not.  

water distribution tube tool.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, harmony said:

The bar is aluminium and the wood is turned from a piece of pear. It utilizes the slide bar method.  Against the fixed piece of wood I epoxied a small piece of body steel taken from my parts car.  On the sliding piece I screwed in 3 wood screws.  So it will withstand a lot of blows.  It was matched up for the long block tube (25" )  I've never seen the tube for a short block so I don't know if the teeth will line up for those tubes or not.  

water distribution tube tool.jpg

By the way, if someone is building a tool like this, it's best to chamfer the top edge on the left side slightly.  That's because of the taper on the tube itself towards the top.  By filing a chamfer or the top edge of the tool, ( both the teeth and the space in between, but more so on the teeth) that will allow the tool to go up higher in the tube and therefore letting the teeth get a better grip.  

On 2/27/2017 at 4:38 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

I use this tool to spread my leaf springs so that I can apply grease between the leaves . I use a needle fitting on my grease gun to get into the gap . I grease only my oldest springs as spring steel 5160  was introduced sometime in the 1950 ' s and that steel doesn't get along with petroleum products . This tool was probably made in the horse and buggy days . 

IMG_8404.jpg

Wow!  Great tool. It looks like it was made just for what you're using it for.  Great idea, The grease seems to be still in mine, even though I can't really see much since they are encased, but on hot days It still seems to be ozzing out.  I might just build a similar tool.  But it won't be as cool as yours.

I purchased this little set of tools about 50 years ago.  It's in the same condition as it was when I bought it.  It's made in USA but I have never been able to make out the label.  Does anyone recognize the label and know the manufacturer? 

small tool set1.jpg

small tool set2.jpg

Now I know that these car jacks aren't exactly rare, and I'm sure a few of you guys own one.  It's my understanding they were made for the Model T Fords.  It's one of the best jacks I own.  Super useful and even though the arm is less than a foot long it will lift my 48 Chrysler with little effort.  It's really cleaver how it changes direction and it can easily be used horizontally.

car jack1.jpg

car jack2.jpg

car jack3.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, harmony said:

Now I know that these car jacks aren't exactly rare, and I'm sure a few of you guys own one.  It's my understanding they were made for the Model T Fords.  It's one of the best jacks I own.  Super useful and even though the arm is less than a foot long it will lift my 48 Chrysler with little effort.  It's really cleaver how it changes direction and it can easily be used horizontally.

car jack1.jpg

car jack2.jpg

car jack3.jpg

Beats me why the first image was posted sideways, and the jack looks shorter.  It's a little under a foot tall without that flip up extension .  

33 minutes ago, harmony said:

I purchased this little set of tools about 50 years ago.  It's in the same condition as it was when I bought it.  It's made in USA but I have never been able to make out the label.  Does anyone recognize the label and know the manufacturer? 

small tool set1.jpg

small tool set2.jpg

No markings on the ratchet or any of the pieces? The extension reminds me of SK stuff 

• Like 1

Just now, Young Ed said:

No markings on the ratchet or any of the pieces? The extension reminds me of SK stuff 

The only lettering is on the ratchet at the top.  If you zoom in you can sort of make it out and it says  "none better"  On that same plate down close to the forward/reverse lever is "M40".  On the handle one side says "forged", on the other side it says "Made in USA".  All the sockets and other tools also are stamped "none better"  Could that be the name of the manufacturer?  The label appears to read,,, something,,, then "alloy" then "tools"  maybe?

5 minutes ago, harmony said:

Yes, it would seem that way.

Google shows up some garage journal posts stating they were made by new Britain machine and are well made.

1 minute ago, Young Ed said:

Google shows up some garage journal posts stating they were made by new Britain machine and are well made.

Well I can testify to that, I've used the set often over the decades and it always gets the job done without fail.

About  a couple of years ago I was able to purchase the Miller Factory Tool call the Tru-brake liining refacers.  Basically this tool uses the various sleeves that are part of the Miller MT19 brake gage. After setting up the shoes at the drum setting you then use the trubake tool to cut down the high spots on the lining.  This tool preceeded the AMMCO safe Arcing tool.  I have the Miller MT19 with the 8 sleeves and the Miller Trubrake facing tool.  I have used the tool to cut down the linings.  I have only seen this tool in catalogs but was fortunate to have been able to purchase one can have a complete set of miller brake tools.  I also have the AAMCO 1750 brake tool.

The older miller tools were of great quality and will last a life time if taken care of with proper use. I have used the entire set on my 39 Desoto

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.6a5a3e3f76bf5fdfdf0a46165d21fc38.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Came across this tool at the local wrecking yard lying loose in a vehicle.  I admit I did not know what it was when I first saw it.  Am sure a few folks here may have seen these but I wonder how many use these fairly often.

IMG_4492.JPG

It looks like a saw set, used to set the tooth angle when sharpening a saw. I have one someplace that I inherited from my father.

Edited by busycoupe

52 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I can't see the jaw configuration, but it sorta looks like a sheet metal notcher.

Very good....it is a notching device...but not for metal.  My second guess and disappointment.....lol

Let's give it a bit more time for folks to view, then if no correct answer....I will post a photo of the die and anvil.

Mums played with it making intricate cuts on paper snowflakes......!!!

Edited by Plymouthy Adams