Show your tools.

Don Coatney

On 10/1/2020 at 1:07 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

The Snap on puller with 5 legs for preventing hub/drum  distortion on tough to remove drums...equivalent to the above puller...

Hub Puller Snap on 5 leg.jpg

Hope you have another floor jack under the car to support the car.  I see that you have a bottle jack under the axle. Since you are pulling on the hub that bottle jack is not very stable to support the pulling of the drum. I had a friend that used a bottle jack and hit it by accident with his foot and the car fell and did some major damage to him.  So always double support an area that you are working especially when a car weight in at several thousand pounds.  One guy always has a two way baby monitor setup so that if there ever was an issue at least his wife or kids would beable to hear him calling for Help.  So go to a good used baby resale shop and pick up one unit that works it just might save your life when working by your self on your cars either antique or new.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I don't think I have much to worry about.

The car is on a 14,000lb four post lift.

The rear of the car is raised off the runways using a 7000lb rolling jack on the safety lock.

The bottle jack is only used to prevent the axle from "bouncing" while pounding on the hub puller dog bone.

On any lift with the rear axle just hanging by the leaf springs you lose way too much hammer impact to the hub puller. You'll never get the drum off easy with the axle and drum bouncing while pounding on the dog bone style drum puller.

This is the reason I always lightly support the axle with the bottle jack by the backing plate.

The bottle jack is not used for safety at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the 254th version of a homemade brake adjustment tool, but since the topic headline is "show your tools", here`s my version ?

The main tool body fits on the rear axle, an adapter sleeve fits into the main body to fit on the front axle.

Adjustment by the knurled nut (where the A in the picture is - nut fine threaded), so no extra tool / wrench required. Spring A makes it a little easier to adjust the tool`s diameter while checking.

Spring B pushes the tool onto the tapered axle. The load is slightly adjustable, just enough pressure that there`s no wiggle, but slight enough to allow easy rotation.

The gauge (piece of an old Allen key + threaded rods) is for determining the specific drum diameter.

A caliper to take the determined diameter and check the brake shoe diameter (minus clearance).

That`s it.

brake-tool_1.jpg.1ba130457b3f823d5cc9394514ef1e5a.jpg

brake-tool_2.jpg.b64ea50350e6d839da94345daca4c3ca.jpg

brake-adjust-tool.pdf

Edited by PT81Jan
Sketch added
  • Like 7

Nice work!

@Dodgeb4ya & @Marcel Backs: Thank you for the compliment ? Maybe it helps someone to fabricate a brake tool, if needed.

@Plymouthy Adams: Hahaha, seems you know me in the meantime ... me and my lathe ..
The biggest challenge indeed was to get the needed materials. I want to do the brake job now, but due to lockdown all the hardware stores and metal recyclers are closed.
For the main body I had to sacrifice a sleeve piece of an older device I made 20+ years ago. The feeler sheet metal finger is a remaining piece of a flooring cover strip (anodized aluminum profile), the provisional spring (B) is made of a spoke of my old bicycle.
The knurled nut was already somewhere in my collecting box. I just had to enlarge the bore a bit and cut in a fine thread.

The center piece of the drum gauge as already mentioned out of an Allen key.
Let someone* say, it doesn`t make sense to collect and hoard old junk ?

(*My wife ?)

Edited by PT81Jan

Not much of a tool, but anyone with s shop crane or manual hydraulic press would appreciate this. Images are crooked, but its the thought that counts. I have made a few of these, and it sure takes the aggrivation out of a repetative process using a jack. 

948EE1D6-0919-45A7-97B2-4AB684F2DB00.jpeg

72F4D62C-C89D-489D-8C39-56395E8C4309.jpeg

• Like 1

Yay for cheap tools! :D

I have been needing something like this for some time, Saw a video Fitzee did and made my own adjustments.

Instead of welding the pieces together, I am bolting them in. I have shown is angle iron, but have a few different sizes of round pipe I can swap out with the angle iron and make different radius bends.

I have made exactly 2 bends on it so far, kinda impressed how easy it was to make a smooth radius bend or even a 90 degree flange. I need to spend a lot of time on it to learn what it can do.

Same time I think others have built something like this and may have useful input.

Also Fitzee made his a dedicated stand up tool, while mine for space it can sit in a corner & take up no space, just pull it out and put in vice when needed.

0118211344.jpg

0118211337.jpg

• Like 5

I saw one of these where the guy cut in a few horizontal slots to locate a 2nd "die" made of a much smaller diameter pipe when he wanted to mike tighter radius bends...worked well, and he could store the piggyback die inside the larger pipe :cool:

I did the angle iron first, was easier to drill holes in. Now I can use it as a pattern to mark pipe and drill holes in them.

The Main pipe measures 2 3/8"  OD, & 3/16" thick walls ... pretty heavy pipe and makes a solid base.

Next step I have 1/2" black steel gas piping, I have 1 1/4" galvanized top rail for a cyclone fence, also 4" sched 40 pvc sewer line. A new pipe leftover and never used  :)

I chose to make it 36" long, I have a few sheets of 18 gauge 36" long and assume wont really need it longer.

First issue I found, the 1/8" angle iron has a small amount of flex at 3' long. Inserting metal then clamp it down fixes that.

Thinking The round pipe may be more rigid ... or not. Time will tell. But as time goes forward I can always change pipe and evolve.

Next step is to add pipe, then sand and paint everything.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, JBNeal said:

I saw one of these where the guy cut in a few horizontal slots to locate a 2nd "die" made of a much smaller diameter pipe when he wanted to mike tighter radius bends...worked well, and he could store the piggyback die inside the larger pipe :cool:

Gene winfieled sold one to Bad Chad, a heavy bench. 
i plan on doing the same thing, but its going to be heavy. Will include several hitch receivers for vise,planising hammer and shrinker/stretcher. Two wheels on one end and a pocket for my floor jack to move it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Doing some cleaning and found one of the old rechargeable electric wrenches used for a special area where we could not have air tools blowing in the room. Will have to locate the other one. These have a button to reverse direction but don't ratchet. Lots of torque.  

Located this old galvanized toolbox supposedly a WWII box with separate internal box in the lid. Anyone have any info on what went inside please pass it on. Thanks

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Edited by Veemoney
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share my Indestro tool collection. I started collecting old American made tools recently and Indestro is one of my favorites, along with Plomb & Proto. The wrench set I just picked up yesterday for $12, with the box and only missing one wrench (a 25/32 x 7/8 I believe). 140734268_IMG_20210317_1505522062.jpg.8f65f8afbe87982457b1b9d67a038b82.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I rounded up some steel and hardware. I went to see my hobby-machinist friend. We tag-teamed a bit to build this con-rod vise. It should allow me to install, torque and crush the rod bearings. Then measure bearing to crank journal clearances. Fairly accurately I think. Better than plasti-gauge I think?

It was a fun project. Bonus working with my buddy too. 

028805B1-CC3F-4E6C-8FF2-A5FE3CE02BE3.jpeg

• Like 3

A member asked me about details / specs of the brake adjustment tool I posted on Jan., 17th.

(post No. # ? Formerly No. of posts were displayed, cannot see it now ...)

I added a sketch (.pdf) to that post in case someone needs it, too.

Note:

1. I t is not a true scale drawing and doesn`t contain all dimensions, tolerances and surface specs. Just a little info of the main dimensions.

2. Also I do not know, if there are different axle / steering knuckle dimensions. The specs are for my 1939 Plymouth Truck.

3. Dimensions are in mm (sorry...the member who asked is European also) - divide by 25.4 so you will get inches.

IMG_0121.JPG.28689e5a1a1ed5e75288e4ec923deb6c.JPGMoving stuff around in my shed. Modified an old bottle cart for my mobile small 110v welder set-up. 4 wheels work well in the shop and just tilt it back on the big wheels if I need to head out the door.

IMG_0122.JPG.9690bc6918ee3bf34709ed56fb20a76a.JPG

Still need to finish this "Pure Oil" Lubester. Been looking for a matching Lubester cover to finish it off.

IMG_0147.JPG.fd53b9bd65cf14c904bf7268143bee86.JPG

• Like 1

Had this machine out the other day. From the 30s I believe and still running well. Had to replace the cutting oil line and put the belt back together. I think this is a model "C" but not sure and I have no manual on it.

IMG_1374.JPG.4894cfbc6e72ecf6491120cbe2e7996a.JPG

• 1 month later...

I finally got tired of nursing my old riding lawnmower along.  It was getting hard to steer and would bog down on taller grass.  And mulching leaves in the fall was almost too much for it.  So I bit the bullet and got a 0 turn.  A little scary at first but I'm getting used to it.  Should be the last lawnmower I'll ever have to buy.  My hands and shoulders would hurt after using the old one.  Not so with the new 0 turn.  Traded the old mower for a mulching kit and a trailer hitch.

New Mower.jpg

• 4 months later...

Picked up this lot in an auction yesterday - $2.00 (plus tax). Two chain breakers, a small pulley puller, and the large puller, which was why I bid on this lot.

Wondering if it looks familiar to anyone here, or what specific task would it have been designed for.  There is no name on it that I could see, just the numbers P202, P203, & P204 on the different parts.

puller - auction items.JPG

• Like 4

Sadly,  my tool collection left my possesion a few years ago so its pretty small. though currently I am engaged in making Car specific tools.

I wanted a Toolbox for road emergencies and tools I will ever only use on this car (I mean,  what else am I going to use my feeler gauge for?) so I bought a vintage Union tool box and painted it to match.

and my sister gave me a tea cart to restore so I started an "Artsy" paint job before discovering she didnt WANT it back,  so I painted the legs to match the car and now I have a car specific tool cart.

Toolbox Before After.png

Tea Cart After Before 2.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...