Valve seat cutter

valveseatcutter.jpg

Garage air conditioner

Gar1.jpg

Refer magnet. Good for keeping small parts where you can find them

magnet.jpg

2 blade pedestal fan. Highly desirable circa 1940s could fetch $500-$1000

On 7/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, Sniper said:

That was back in the day when Mommy wasn't in charge of telling you how to do your job.  In my sailor days I had occasion to go up the mast when out at sea.  Now that was scary because once you got off the ladder there was nothing to tie off on, those guard rails are all fiberglass and the mast would be swaying all over the place with the exhaust gasses choking you out, but hey the radar needs to be fixed because the Iranians were being stupid again. 

When I interviewed for the wind turbine job I was asked if I was afraid of heights, I said nope and they wanted to know why I thought that.  So I told them the stories about going up the mast.  Even so, the first time I climbed up a turbine it was scary, lol.  It had been 20+ years since I climbed a mast and those turbines are a lot higher up.  One more pic for perspective, the gray truck is an F350 crewcab with a utility long bed.

downview.JPG

WOW! I can't look at this photo without feeling a little short-winded.?

• 3 weeks later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL: 

I found this 4" paintbrush years ago in one of the barns and have been using it to clean off work surfaces, projects, power tools and equipment as the bristles are still kinda stiff but not abrasive.  While tidying up after conclusion of several recent projects, I actually noticed the writing on the handle:  Montgomery Ward (!)  So I asked Dad about it, he stewed on it overnight and remembered that Grandpa used that brush to paint trailers and the old field house, so he guesses it was new back in the early to mid 60s...WOW they don't make'm like that no more :cool:

large.sm20200711_091455.jpg.4ccb56dd9272a1c12f5f957e4ffddab8.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture

• 1 month later...

I don't have one to show - just found one on an auction. 

Anyone have or know about the King Motor and Ignition Tester?

(Auction ends in about an hour & a half, so after that, never mind.)

Well, what ever it was worth, it went for $49.50.  They only posted 1 photo, so I suspect that some parts were missing, like special cables & attachments.

Edited by Eneto-55
add note

After ruining one of the eBay Chinese pullers on a stubborn axle I borrowed this one from a friend.

Since he is planning on never using it again he gifted it to me.

This thing is so robust that it took less than 5 minutes to break the drum loose and best off all no bent or broken parts!

57313AF8-BB55-412E-925C-C7CB06C88537.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow, that so heavy duty it is hard to describe!  Never break that thing!

Does not surprise me that the drum saw that thing and just said- -  I will Not resist!  ? ?

DJ

4 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Wow, that so heavy duty it is hard to describe!  Never break that thing!

Does not surprise me that the drum saw that thing and just said- -  I will Not resist!  ? ?

DJ

Yes! It was very gratifying to see it work!

There is one just like it on eBay right now but it's set up for Fords with only two legs and a ring thingy to engage the drum. So they are out there. I saw at least three Snap-On Blue Point hub pullers which looked like they could do the job but they are PRICEY because of the name. Blue Point is the brand name for stuff that Snap-On buys but does not make.

The Engineer's Hammer in the photo is the minimum for this kind of puller. You need 3 or 4 lbs head with the longer handle otherwise you're just playing with it. You have to send it a message!

I will never change the rear end in my Plymouth to something else, because I now have the right tools for the job!   

• Like 1

The Snap on puller with 5 legs for preventing hub/drum  distortion on tough to remove drums...equivalent to the above puller...

Hub Puller Snap on 5 leg.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The Snap on puller with 5 legs for preventing hub/drum  distortion on tough to remove drums...equivalent to the above puller...

Hub Puller Snap on 5 leg.jpg

Is that a special model? My snap on one only has 3 legs

....I think you could order the puller with three, or more legs...

Or just buy extra legs later?

I bought this one cheap...I like it for the bigger tough to remove Chrysler drums but it's heavy and awkward to to set up. The legs are heavy spring loaded...outward 

I normally like using my old school three leg puller...easy and quick to use.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, Eneto-55 said:

I don't have one to show - just found one on an auction. 

Anyone have or know about the King Motor and Ignition Tester?

(Auction ends in about an hour & a half, so after that, never mind.)

Well, what ever it was worth, it went for $49.50.  They only posted 1 photo, so I suspect that some parts were missing, like special cables & attachments.

I had one about 7 years ago witht he cables and the operating manual. i took it to Hershey and it sold for over $200. I still might have the operating manual around the home in my various catalogs.

They got a good buy for only $50 but the shipping costs might cost a lot.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

14 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I had one about 7 years ago witht he cables and the operating manual. i took it to Hershey and it sold for over $200. I still might have the operating manual around the home in my various catalogs.

They got a good buy for only $50 but the shipping costs might cost a lot.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The location was just a few miles from here, but an on-line auction, and they only posted a single photo, and no description.  I might have been able to go look at it, but our son has been in the hospital (75+ miles away from home) for nearly 3 weeks - Acute Leukemia.  He is just 27.  Doctors say it will be a complete recovery.  So I didn't have time to go look, and also can't take any chances with getting the virus, and then passing it on to him.  My father-in-law contracted it while our son was in the hospital, it quickly went to pneumonia and he passed away less than 10 hours after being taken to the ER.  But he was ready to go.  99 years old, and he knew where he was going, and Who was there waiting for him.

But about the tester, I looked on-line for a manual, to try to get more info on what all it would do, but only found some for sale. (Or maybe it was only a brochure or poster about it that was for sale.)

Edited by Eneto-55

• 2 months later...

putting together another tool pegboard for the new work bay and digging through some of the tool boxes that came to me from my dad....imagine my surprise at the name of this wrench.....double the surprise as there are two of them....the speed wrench is a Craftsman V series....I would suspect by the art deco handle to be possibly 1940's  if I were to guess...and for the superstitious, this is post 666 on this thread started by Don C....

IMG_3968.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

14 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

putting together another tool pegboard for the new work bay and digging through some of the tool boxes that came to me from my dad....imagine my surprise at the name of this wrench.....double the surprise as there are two of them....the speed wrench is a Craftsman V series....I would suspect by the art deco handle to be possibly 1940's  if I were to guess...and for the superstitious, this is post 666 on this thread started by Don C....

IMG_3968.JPG

Do you ever use the speed wrenches? I have a few of them that I don't think I've ever used

yes, but not everyday.....I usually use the speed wrenches when assembling a unit with larger panels components with multiple bolts,  put heads bolts in place before starting torque sequence, oil pan and other multi bolt covers.... I prefer running these up and feel the initial squish by hand and not over squish with an air ratchet or other power tool.....I assembled an engine a bit back and was the last time I used mine....they a work saver but many place them aside in favor of power tools.  I cleaned this speed wrench and was surprised to find the Craftsman name on it.  

8 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Do you ever use the speed wrenches? I have a few of them that I don't think I've ever used

I have used mine a few times. Works pretty nice in situations where you want to be fairly delicate so you don’t want to use a power driver.

in for a bit, sipping a cup of coffee....ran the series V as is known as Maker V that was the Moore Drop Forging.....which later become Easco and today if you compare the look of the Craftsman to the Easco...you would quickly say the Easco at x feet and unreadable would indeed be the Craftsman...so probably until maybe the last couple years Easco was still the maker....today's Craftsman socket has a different look with the new 3/8 ratchet that I picked up in a volume purchase.

forgot to say....v series started in 1938 

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I have my Dad's somewhere.  1/2 and 38" Craftsman.  He used them a lot assembling transmissions and engines on the bench or stands.  Almost never used and impact as he liked the 'feel' of the wrenches, especially installing oil pans,  and was about as fast and using power tools.

Dont hate me. But these old tools outlived their usefulness. 
the adjustable wrench was an interesting piece. 
a friend on another forum passed along a timing light and an ignition tester, probably from the 60’s. both work. 

841A8179-0960-4220-BF24-0AB884BEB0C3.jpeg

On 12/22/2020 at 6:46 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

IMG_3968.JPG

I have one of those Craftsman speed wrenches, bought it new in 1988.  Alas, same handle, but I doubt they changed the style very much over the years.  I prefer a speed wrench over an impact wrench, too.