Show your tools.

Don Coatney

Picked this awesome wall cabinet off Facebook market last weekend. Still have to find some wall space for it but I'll get it hung up somewhere.

IMG_20200705_180739.jpg?Expires=15944019

• Like 1

With the recent heat wave out here and a serious case of heat rash yesterday, I decided I needed a better garage fan.  What I have now is a box fan hanging from a 1x1 stuck into a 5 gallon bucket with cement in it.  It works, after a fashion.

I wanted to get one of those pedestal mounted oscillating shop type fans.  So I looked around and they were all crazy priced for a good one.  Then in my search I ran across evaporative coolers.  I have a small portable one in the garage that if you have it pointed right at you does work, but my garage is more a carport than something enclosed so it's effect in limited.   Then i ran across a Hessaire MC37M.  3100 cfm cooler rated for 950 square feet.  Three speeds, hose hookup, oscillating louvers and other goodies.  

Cheapest price I found was at Amazon for $299 plus tax and free shipping, not much more than those expensive fans I mentioned.  However, it " Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."  I don't think so.  I then found another Amazon seller that had it for more, $389 plus tax and free shipping, estimated delivery Jul 21-24, better.  Home Depot had it for $379 plus tax and free shipping to the house, 21 Jul, not much better.  Lowe's doesn't sell it, too bad I get a 10% military discount from them.  So I tried my local Ace Hardware and it's in stock, list is $399, plus tax.  Honey got me a 10% discount, bringing the price to $359, plus tax.  Since I am an Ace Rewards member (free to join) I got free delivery to my house, next day.  $60 more than Amazon's best price, best delivery time of all options I found.  I really have to remember to shop at my local Ace more, they have a ton of stuff that I never knew they had.  Rod ends for my throttle linkage setup, oilite bushings for my wiper linkages,  even have those special screws used in my guns, on the shelf. 

MC37M-min_1024x1024.png?v=1500907805

I needed another fan for the airplane hangar and bought this one from Habba Fright:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-pedestal-shop-fan-47755.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTIzNjA3MDIiLCJza3UiOiI0Nzc1NSIsImlzIjoiMTE0Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjE1MTcifQ%3D%3D &cid=digitalSav_july2020

47755_W3.jpg

This fan really moves a lot of air, much more than the 30" floor fan I was using. The coupon linked above gets it for $115 and I consider it a great shop value. I added some small castors to the base for ease of moving around the hangar but chocks are necessary to keep it from taxiing when running on high!

Edited by Sam Buchanan

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

My son and I built this to pull the flathead out of the 51.

You get 10 points from me for good looking work.

imho, I am going to build the support into the carport, hang a hoist and then push cars in and out as needed to pull engines

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

With the recent heat wave out here and a serious case of heat rash yesterday,

I have to agree with ya ... A swamp cooler is a great choice. I just have a industrial 30" fan ... in 109 degree temps it just is not enough.

My biggest issue is not going inside the house soon enough to the ac and get cooled off.

One shop I set up was a OTR shop, had a boiler and a lot of heat, I mounted a small house swamp cooler on top of a refrigerator, removed the freezer door and had air coming out that port. Mickey mouse, but the fridge on wheels you could go stand in front of it to cool off or roll it around to where needed.

• Like 1

I thought about using the existing cross beam, beefed up of course, to do the same thing.  But I was not comfortable with that much weight across that large a wooden span and I no longer have the heuvos to grunt a suitable steel beam up there. 

36 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I needed another fan for the airplane hangar and bought this one from Habba Fright:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-pedestal-shop-fan-47755.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTIzNjA3MDIiLCJza3UiOiI0Nzc1NSIsImlzIjoiMTE0Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjE1MTcifQ%3D%3D &cid=digitalSav_july2020

47755_W3.jpg

This fan really moves a lot of air, much more than the 30" floor fan I was using. The coupon linked above gets it for $115 and I consider it a great shop value. I added some small castors to the base for ease of moving around the hangar but chocks are necessary to keep it from taxiing when running on high!

I bought one of those a couple years ago for the shop.  Most days I don't need the cooling, but from the back of the 50' shop it moves enough air on low to keep the bugs out so I can keep the garage door open.  I've never run it on medium or high, almost have to open all the windows to do so, or else it'll suck them in...  Good value in my book, as well.

Update on the swamp cooler, Ace delivered it earlier today, same day delivery.  I put it to use and was out in the garage tinkering with the Cambridge.  I ran the engine up to operating temps and did some radiator IR checks, I hardly sweated at all.  hen I finished up and came in it was 105 out.  I think this is going to be the ticket.

• Like 1

I am familiar with swamp coolers from the days when I lived in Tucson.  I learned real quick not to leave my tools in the sun, ouch.  I pretty much live on the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert anyway so they work around here.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Update on the swamp cooler, Ace delivered it earlier today, same day delivery.  I put it to use and was out in the garage tinkering with the Cambridge.  I ran the engine up to operating temps and did some radiator IR checks, I hardly sweated at all.  hen I finished up and came in it was 105 out.  I think this is going to be the ticket.

I understand where you are coming from ... I have been fighting this heat myself. Will be 110 degrees the next week ahead.

physically  getting sick from not drinking enough water.     While I enjoy sitting in the shop, I just need to learn and stop and go inside where it is cool.

But yeah, nothing wrong with this page.

Attending High School in Presidio, TX (quite a while ago) I "self-employed" myself one summer changing pads and repairing swamp coolers around town.  Most were on the roof.  Although self imposed and lucrative for a teenager, it is hands down the worst job I've ever had. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

On 7/10/2020 at 10:29 PM, Sniper said:

My son and I built this to pull the flathead out of the 51.

20200620_143804.jpg

Nice.  It would be great if your son and I could meet out on a long dirt road somedays to have a some fun with the flatheads.  

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

47755_W3.jpg

Airplane hanger!  any chance your on an old abandoned flight line?  

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Nice.  It would be great if your son and I could meet out on a long first road somedays to have a some fun with the flatheads.  

He's learning to drive on the 51, didn't take him long to get the three on the tree shifter using a clutch and gas pedal in coordination routine.  Just needs to keep practicing to perfect it.

Imagine learning to drive on a 1951 Plymouth, no power steering, no power brakes, no AC, manual trans, no ABS, no cruise control, etc.  No help from the car at all.  That's what he's learning on.  Heck my 65 Cuda is not much better, just an auto to help and that's probably going away.

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

He's learning to drive on the 51, didn't take him long to get the three on the tree shifter using a clutch and gas pedal in coordination routine.  Just needs to keep practicing to perfect it.

Imagine learning to drive on a 1951 Plymouth, no power steering, no power brakes, no AC, manual trans, no ABS, no cruise control, etc.  No help from the car at all.  That's what he's learning on.  Heck my 65 Cuda is not much better, just an auto to help and that's probably going away.

I learned to drive in- 39 plymouth with 3 speed on the floor, 50 plymouth 3 on column, 40 plymouth truck 4 speed non syncro, 94 Dakota 5speed, and a Chevy wagon V8 auto. How's that for a mix?!

Ah, the art of double clutching.  When I taught my oldest daughter to drive she learned on an 87 Diplomat, 360 4 speed, I put the 360 and the manual in it.   Anyway, I never taught her how to double clutch because , well I never thought to.  Some years later she's moving and has an old Uhaul truck she rented, she called me to say it's always grinding gears when she shifts.  I tried to talk her through the art of double clutching and she wasn't getting it.  Finally, I told her that it wasn't her truck and it really didn't matter if she ground the gears.  When she finally got here and I finished unloading her truck I took her out and showed her how to double clutch.  Most interesting part of the story was that it was my Mom that taught me, lol.  My Dad never learned to drive a stick of any sort.      

I worked Bay City, Muleshoe and Glenn Rose Tx. and over the years all the hot states and other countries. You learn what works for each. Most of these most know but first is this Bandana which I will put in the tool category since it is a chiller basically and the crew and I used them. We soak them and put them in the freezer. Wrap around your neck afterward and they cool the blood like a chiller when it passes your neck and then the cool blood spreads to the rest of your body helping to keep the temp down. We will all shut down at some point and once you take your body to that limit your brain will shut you down before you reach that threshold again. So I've been told.

IMG_0226.JPG.1eadacc27d3c400d20bac58678428a89.JPG   

Swap coolers work well in dry heat but a dehumidifier or air conditioner was always preferred if you could swing it. Machining equipment and the laser trackers would start having issues once you topped 100 degrees so we shaded and tented to keep things dry when working outside. We then created smaller work zones within that area that we could manage to condition the air. In places where we could not tent small work areas we set-up cool down areas next to them that the teams could use. So for folks working in carports Visqueen or vapor barrier plastic could be your friend to set it up in conjunction with an conditioner.   I use a portable dehumidifier but also keep this 2 ton window unit on a cart at my shop if things get unbearable. I roll it around to stick the back end out the door or under a section of plastic. I use some green house plastic tarps which is a bit tougher material then we used at work on the covered porch of the shop. With the plastic you don't need to go all the way up the wall either to cool the area. The heavier cool air will fill the area like a tub if you wall it on 4 sides which works well for ventilation. Just make sure you not trapping any heavy gases.

IMG_0228.JPG.5f90a4db64165a33e887d26a238aaed5.JPG  

IMG_0227.JPG.eca4cacad852c2fb319ea6ef4571867a.JPG

Back in my fracking days they had cool down trailers similar to what you show, but with a swamp cooler instead of AC.  It worked. 

When I worked at the cement plant we had a cinder block cool room on the mill floor, had an AC unit that kept it cool, well cooler than the 130F it was on the mill floor.  I used to hate going up there to work on the overhead crane.

I used to also climb those wind turbines, nothing up there but shade and whatever you brought up to drink.  Miserable year round.

meturbine.JPG

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Cool picture Sniper but no harness? Made a few trips up above polar cranes and the first time up is the worst as I remember.

That was back in the day when Mommy wasn't in charge of telling you how to do your job.  In my sailor days I had occasion to go up the mast when out at sea.  Now that was scary because once you got off the ladder there was nothing to tie off on, those guard rails are all fiberglass and the mast would be swaying all over the place with the exhaust gasses choking you out, but hey the radar needs to be fixed because the Iranians were being stupid again. 

When I interviewed for the wind turbine job I was asked if I was afraid of heights, I said nope and they wanted to know why I thought that.  So I told them the stories about going up the mast.  Even so, the first time I climbed up a turbine it was scary, lol.  It had been 20+ years since I climbed a mast and those turbines are a lot higher up.  One more pic for perspective, the gray truck is an F350 crewcab with a utility long bed.

downview.JPG

• Like 1