Show your tools.

Don Coatney

I hear what all of you are saying but the price was good and why not have the tool. If this did not sell it would have gone to the scrap dealer in the near future and also all of the collars were included so no missing parts.  The same is true for all of us that collect extra spare parts we might never need them but when you do you are glad that you purchased htem when there were cheaper and when they were still available.  My 39 desoto is getting harder and harder to find quality parts so I take advantage of when the parts and tools are listed to purchase them.

We all have a little quirks in life mine is getting the factory miller tools and I know I can sell them at some point in time.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy with this Covo-19 issue. If you know of a neighbor that is older please call them to checkin on them to make sure that they are well and to see if they need any help.  This is the time for all of us to knock down the barriers and come to the aide of all our neighbors and bring back our communities to be a united front like it was a long time ago.

We lost that when we decided to only be concerned about only us as an individual and we forgot that a community is made up of the entire people around us each and everyday. You never know when you personally might need help so reach out now a lend a helping hand you will feel better for it and this will teach our younger generation the aspect of togetherness for both the young and the old.

Rich Hartung

• Like 5

do these things make you happy ?    'nuff said .

let us hoist one to Don.  I miss him.   dp

• Like 1

Yes one up for Don...

and why not for all of us...if something makes us happy- go for it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I got a stump I pulled out of the ground, its yours for shipping cost....better to have it and not need it ya say.....?

I have stumps of mine own I can donate to your collection.  I can even donate the spare rim and tire I used to pull them.

Wasn't that for sale on ebay for around $500.00?

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

. . . I have already admitted to buying things that may just sit till I am no longer to this world.  Anybody else want to testify?????????

Do you mean by plan? I have investments in cars, but I plan to use them before I die.

If I die early my kids will get them in nicer shape though . . .

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, hmm might be a lesson of all in these times.

"You don't have to need it to eat it but if you eat it you'll never need it."

OK geezers, what is "IT"?

"google cheaters will be chastised so be honest!"

I never thought buying a cheap cultivator

20160730_050018.jpg.7e1c2bd9f42d4a67792a31d76b6398c0.jpg

would cause me to eventually spend $$$$ on a new tool shed.

shed.jpg.e317a2ab7dbe83f9c9a5a98a3701598c.jpg

Somewhere there's a very attractive photo of me jacking it up to put more concrete under it.

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Wasn't that for sale on ebay for around $500.00?

yes there was one but mine was not at that price mine was much cheaper. The price was good for me so I purchased the item.  But why is there so much negative press for purchasing a factory miller tool?  I guess when I was loaning out the old tools everyone was happy to get them from me so they could fix their brakes, install new upper and lower control arm bushings, install pinion seals and remove and install pilot bushings and noone had any negative comments because it all benefited everyone or someone specific.

So why now such negative comments?  The one comment is that I have the tool and saved it from maybe getting sent to the  scrap man.  It was my choice to spend th emoney to save the tool and not anyone elses money.  

Be grateful for people taking the time to research and find items to keep the hobby alive and going forward not backwards.  Positive comments get more respect then negative and we did have that sometime back if I remember correctly.

So I am done listing any new tools that I acquire becsue I do not need to receive negative comments from the members of the forum.  I try to help with questions by why should I if I am going to get such lack of respect.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I have spent way too much on special purpose  tools over the years...have hundreds and hundreds of pounds of them...

Most likely a lot of them

(Miller tools) will be worth little to nothing when I am gone.

Does not matter as I use them quite a bit and a big tool hound.

Always have needed special service tools in my line of work though mostly retired now.

You did save that tool and many others.

You have a new one to play with...It makes a collector happy...keep posting for us to see. But....

I want to see you educate us on how it is used?

• Like 1

Dodgeb4a:  Yes the education that I get from trying to use the tool benefits everyone because most of us are not mechanics so getting some experience is more than I have right now.

So the big question that I have is that if there is any member that worked in a Mopar dealership and ever used this tool any information would be greatly appreciated for me and all of the membership of the Forum.

As a retired school teacher my point of education is that we need to pass on our knowledge to the next person so that they can learn from the current generation.  Knowledge is a wonderful thing and when we as a public stop the learning curve then we will all just become pupets and not have a working brain and can not make any wise decisions.

You have helped me get information on some of the tools that I have found and that information was deeply appreciated. I have the miller tool catalogs but they only tellyou so much, but when someone has used the tool you get an entirely different education.

As I learn more about the tool I will pass it along. As I read the miller tool catalog and other areas I am gaining more confidence in how to setup the tool and the proper use of the tool.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Rich

• Like 2

" The In's and Out's of Clutch Operation" film might show something on the use of the tool?

I don't think you'll have much trouble figuring out how to use it.  Basically compressing the plate until it locks down against the spacers, clamping the plate down, and adjust the fingers.  We had something similar to use when doing Deutz-Allis dual clutchs.  These had to be dismantled to access the main drive clutch and then reset using the tool.  A couple of run-throughs and you'll have it down.  A spring tester similar to what's used on valve springs should go along with this tool to do the job correctly.  Plate springs can get weak and/or break and give you inconsistent plate  pressure.

I need tools. I happen to have a problem.brake line flaring kit, sick of fighting with the old school flaring kit, $800 for the hydraulic flaring kit. Slick. 
for new computerized cars,$4200 scan tool. 
self employed,work at home mechanic. Thanks to this epidemic i am temporarily unemployed. My decision. 
tools are necessary to conduct certain repairs,specialty tools aside, a lot can be said about old high quality stuff. 

old specialty tools, good to have,cool to put on display! 

A good flaring tool set that can be used on the car is the "Mastercool" set.

I've done tons of flares on mine including stainless tube. 

Some specialty Miller tools I use...

20200328_181613_compress60.jpg

20200328_181503_compress32.jpg

20200329_174624_compress20.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

15 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A good flaring tool set that can be used on the car is the "Mastercool" set.

I've done tons of flares on mine including stainless tube. 

Some specialty Miller tools I use...

20200328_181613_compress60.jpg

Thats the very kit i have. No regrets,as i have used it for every flare on the fargo,they all sealed perfect. Still more to go, three more vehicles to redo brake lines. 

love your wall of tools,im never playing name that tool with you!

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Gotta love a wall full of tools. Wish mine looked that good.

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Eastwood makes a pretty decent kit too

https://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

That looks like a copy of my SP set I have had for years.

DSC08535.jpg.9a118fbd431a2aaa37bee215f2b192b9.jpg

Found this the other day. I bought it long after my last flathead rebuild so I have never actually used it. Forgot I had it.

DSC06705.jpg.c364a832ddc9a0b2cd99200c6806c9ae.jpg

Tony