Show your tools.

Don Coatney

On 5/26/2017 at 8:56 AM, RNR1957NYer said:

Hi Busycoupe - I was at Comcast on Saturday, and there were many more empty vendor spots than I'd had ever seen on a nice day then, too.  Still a good way to start the season in New England.   Someone I know was selling off some of her late husband's odds and ends from the garage, and I spotted a little orange toolbox with two AAMCO 1750 gages inside.  They didn't sell, but I'm considering it - to those in the know, are all the parts there?IMG_5421.JPG.d5f1ff5f2c354646a08c9641463682cf.JPGIMG_5423.JPG.5299bd2e6db823230d724b1a80fc4453.JPGIMG_5422.JPG.57a9f15c7c1213eae92370bdc5e439fc.JPG

To those who have contacted me whether the gages are still available, I have recently learned that their sale has been completed, and they have found a happy new owner.  To those who reached out - thanks!

• 2 months later...

Very nice Tim!

Thanks Bob, went out today and visited with a friend who runs an alignment shop..got a couple pointers for setting up.  Stopped by Lowes and found the perfect anti-mar pads for my wheel adapters and found some sleeved bearings online and ordered them today, they measure out to be the exact size I need for the castor/camber mount..slowing coming online I hope.

I wouldn't be letting the dog scratch his eye on the scriber point though!

That could make it an extremely expensive toe in tool.

you are right, them little puppies have bulging eyes to begin with...gotta take care of that varmint...he is about the one that tolerates me these days...pugs my favorite breed of dog...

PS...he does not play with matches either..!

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ok, but this feels kinda like showing off my Boy Scout badges. ;)

I can't get it all in one pic. But here's the smaller hand tools in the chest. Recent MOPAR required tools are on the floor. I pulled them out to show them off. Rear hub puller, vintage L-head valve spring tool, vintage valve seat cutter tool. All worked very well, I must say.

I have click-y torque wrenches, tap and die sets,  endless sockets up to 1/2", tone of pliers including Oetker pliers.  Mity-Vac, heat guns, soldering gear,  to call out a few things. I have been collecting tools for about 30 years now. I figure if I am doing a job myself, it only takes one time to pay for the tool. Quite often, the more expensive the tool, the more expensive it would be to pay someone else to do the job. So I buy whatever I need. After 20 years of putting up with a crappy floor jack, I finally went out and bought a 2T decent floor jack on wheels. Why I put up with a crappy one for 20 years, I have no idea. Tons more bigger stuff like compressor, chain hoist, jack stands...You know the usual stuff. I have my eye on a 120V AC 70A MIG Welder. I never learned to weld. Its about time I tried. Coming soon I'd say.

MmBBqWWMMr2-93ZNNgLM2relm0CayIVXT25URI9M

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

So somewhere on this forum was a photo of a old lathe, and it reminded me of Grandpas old lathe that he used all the time.

Any ways I wanted to post a pic of it, he installed a chevy 3 speed transmission on it, so he could adjust the speed better.

Basically put the transmission where the motor goes, made a bracket and moved the motor on top of it.

I also took a few photos of the garage, I have never ever in all my life seen it this clean, I cleaned it two weeks ago, it will be messed up again soon.

019.jpg

020.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 2

Got to love the motor to trans belt tensioner on the lathe.

Must work OK!

I definitely would not mind having it all.!!:)

Thanks for the pics!

DJ

Played with my alignment wheel adapters today, installed some inserts I found a Lowes that needed but slight modification to screw in and out as need, they are to protect the surface of alloy and painted wheels from being marred.  Made a set of plates that insert into the adapter and lock in place so to use my magnetic caster camber gauge.   Bought some 5/8 bolts, took them out to my little machine shop and turned down the shanks to correct diameter, cut the heads flat, drilled so to tap.  Drilled and countersunk some 1/4 discs and attached to the machined bolts, chucked back into the lathe and they run out true.   Slowly getting set up.   

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

They certainly are not rare... I have two 1750's  and a couple MT-19's too.

I'm a hoarder for sure:D

• 4 weeks later...

House tools:  Most of the wrenches, sockets, etc., are in three tool totes, SAE, metric, and drivers (SAE and drivers shown).  The sockets are kept neatly in plastic socket keepers from Hazard Fraught.

59affc1111c1b_tooltotes.JPG.f7cc06596da269dc3e5f651d07a4a9dc.JPG

There's another tool carrier for screwdrivers,  pliers, etc..  Then there's the wall-hung cabinet for saws, wrecking bars, etc. I have carrying trays for the tools and parts for a specific project.  So, I'm almost organized. 

Car Tools:  (DeSoto) Garbage-picked vintage toolbox, tied down; sockets in Hazard Fright plastic racks. Hacksaw and combination wrenches in custom-made pouches.  Frequently used tools in black HF toolbag.  (Jumper cables not shown; in similar HF bag.)  Also shown, vintage, garbage-picked suitcase (and hat boxes). 

tools.JPG.ec6470b338d193351fc4621d54a2acbf.JPG

I had some luck at a yard sale today.  The drawers are full of taps and dies of all sizes. The boxes are new taps.  Also included was an extractor set and a striping tool. I haven't inventoried them yet.  The same seller had other machinists tools, I may have to re-fill the wallet and head back. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Yard sale round 2:  The envelopes hold numbered drill bits, the micrometer is mitutoyo, the device to the right is a shaft speed indicator. 

The fellow running the yard sale said that he had bought the contents of a house that had belonged to a school shop teacher who had a hobby of restoring WW2 Jeeps.  

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After a number of swap meets, who knows how many visits to how many pawn shops and not ruling out a number of flea markets, yard sales and the estate sales, I finally stumbled upon a spark plug wire cutter, stripping and crimping tool at the swap meet yesterday.  Rare find indeed, snagged it for a 5.00 bill.  the man had no idea its use and neither did about 5 other tool sellers at the meet.   One more tool now removed from my want list....

Rajah crimp tool.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I went to a gun show a couple of months ago. As well as firearms , they also had an assortment of other stuff for sale and I found this Weidenhoff tachometer sitting on the floor propped up against the wall next to a vendor's table. The fellow didn't know anything about it, was only asking $20.00, so I bought it. I've cleaned it up a bit. The meter movement is fine . I believe it may have been used in a farm equipment dealership back in the day. It appears as though there may have been a nameplate attached directly above the meter.

5a4ee64136b09_WeidenhoffTachometer.JPG.789211eb233d074d5a7344ec3f106f95.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is my home made camshaft bearing removing and installation tool.

There are certainly more professional tools available . But for someone who does a bearing swap one or two times in a decade it might be worth to spent a little bit time and just little money to fabricate a tool himself. (By the way it is very satisfactory, if it works well.)

I personally don`t like solutions that works like a slide hammer. If someone is not practiced, the risk is high to damage the new bearings.

So this tool works as a press tool.
A nylon piece fits pretty precise to the inner diameter oft he bearing. Just enough play that it doesn`t stick, once the bearing is pressed in. And close enough to avoid any tilt.

A thick aluminum disc presses on the front edge of the bearing. The diameter of this disc is slightly smaller than the outer diameter oft he bearing. That to avoid any sticking to the bearing bore in the crankcase.

Another aluminum piece with a large champfer works as a counter piece.

And finaly a simple threaded rod is used to transmit the pressing force.

Maybe that is nothing new but it did its job at my engine pretty well.

cam_bearing_tool1.jpg.ea3287e1191b5c990779c3d3f17054d6.jpg

cam_bearing_tool2.jpg.87422534adfbe5b0571d9aa25af4d79d.jpgcam_bearing_tool3.jpg.978fad868805431acbe58fd8cf91cfed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1