Show your tools.

Don Coatney

So now that I've got more wrenches coming what are some of you using for organization? I've got a fancy new to me snap on tool box and it needs some help. I'll now have 3 diff sets of wrenches just for inch stuff. And at least one more in metric.

I did have a roll around tool box, in the new shed in the back yard.

It ended up next door along with other stuff like our riding mower and

generator (never used).

Something was bent or damaged on all three parts of the box.

You can see two portions of it in this picture.

DSC02660.jpg

Fortunately most of my main tools in the garage stayed around.

Damn Bob when I saw that picture before I didn't realize it wasn't your yard. Moving that riding lawn mower is unbelieveable. Will you be getting a new tool box outta the insurance company? My garage is quite bad and I wonder if it does collapse someday before I replace it if they will cover my box. To buy a brand new one would be $$$$$$

Wow!!! I want to play. I've got too much stuff to share but here's the story:

My father was a mechanic. Dropped out of school and began working in the 30s. By the time I was born he was a service manager at James F. Waters "the largest Desoto Plymouth distributor in the world." He died in '61 so most of the tools I have go back before then.

The hand drill was my grandfather's. The paten date on it is Aug 1910. It's a ratchet drill. The crescent wrench doesn't look like much but it was made by the Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. It is "forged Diamalloy Steel" Made in the U.S.A.

The book was my father's. I have 3 of them. They cover cars from the teens to 30s.

The timing light I've just held on to - it's missing a cord.

The hammer is rolled leather. I've never seen one like it. And the tool next to it is for measuring something. I'm not sure what. I've got all sorts of stuff - when I die someone will come in and throw all the "junk" out. It's just a little history.

Thanks for letting me share.

d-

post-480-13585362546124_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585362546907_thumb.jpg

post-480-1358536254755_thumb.jpg

post-480-1358536254867_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585362549384_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!!! I want to play. I've got too much stuff to share but here's the story:

My father was a mechanic. Dropped out of school and began working in the 30s. By the time I was born he was a service manager at James F. Waters "the largest Desoto Plymouth distributor in the world." He died in '61 so most of the tools I have go back before then.

The hand drill was my grandfather's. The paten date on it is Aug 1910. It's a ratchet drill. The crescent wrench doesn't look like much but it was made by the Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. It is "forged Diamalloy Steel" Made in the U.S.A.

The book was my father's. I have 3 of them. They cover cars from the teens to 30s.

The hammer is rolled leather. I've never seen one like it. And the tool next to it is for measuring something. I'm not sure what. I've got all sorts of stuff - when I die someone will come in and throw all the "junk" out. It's just a little history.

Thanks for letting me share.

d-

I've got some Diamond adjustable wrenches. I think their the best. I've got an 18" at work thats been used and abused in the line of duty, often with with a big pipe on the handle. Last year I ran accross an 8" and 12" adjustable at the flea mkt. They all say Diamalloy on 'em. What ever that is, it's tough stuff!

Some of the diamond tool stuff was made in Duluth MN. I have an adjustable wrench that has 3 diamonds on the side and says Utica in the 3 of them.

My Dad had one of those leather type hammers......I may still have it

in his old tool box he used when building aircraft during WWII. The box

is like the top of a current roll around, only smaller. Has the little diamond

shaped mirror on the inside of the lid. I guess mechanics back then wanted

to be able to check their appearance....

Don Jordon, I am probably wrong because I have not seen or used the tool next to the hammer before but I think it might be a Rockwell Hardness tester. It is used to determine the hardness of metal. Leather hammers were used in sheet metal fabrication with a shot bag or tree stump with a hollow in it to shape sheet metal in the old days. Some wood carvers still use them to strike their chisels.

Don Jordon, I am probably wrong because I have not seen or used the tool next to the hammer before but I think it might be a Rockwell Hardness tester. It is used to determine the hardness of metal. Leather hammers were used in sheet metal fabrication with a shot bag or tree stump with a hollow in it to shape sheet metal in the old days. Some wood carvers still use them to strike their chisels.

James;

I also have one of these and I was not sure what it was used for so I did some research. Follow the link below.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/antique-instrument-identification-111677/

starrettgage1an3.jpg

Are you sure your timimg light is missing a cord? I have one similar and it lights without external power using only the high voltage from the ignition coil. Not very bright but if you try it it might work. I bought this timing light in the early 60's.

I also have a drill similar to the one you have but the one I have does not ratchet. Drill bits can be stored in the handle that is made from wood with threads cut into the wood.

tlight.jpg

dril1.jpg

dril2.jpg

P1010113.jpg[/img] This is my current vise collection that I am selling . The blue vise is a Wilton , the grey vise is a Columbian , the red vise is a Dunlap , the rusty vise in front is a Parker , the rusty vise in the back is a Rock Island . The Parker vise is the largest with 4 1/2 inch wide jaws . The rusty vises are in working condition , they just look bad .

Along with the snapon flare fitting wrenches I bought a pozidrive screwdriver. It was fairly cheap and from the same seller so no additional shipping. I figured someday it might come in handy. Today I was on vacation from work and working on staining windows. Discovered the latches I need to remove to stain are held on with pozidrive screws. Now I wish it was here already!

Screwdriver and wrenches came today. Look pretty good except for the double ended one which has some dings and it marked not guar. Oh well if it does break I'll just have to buy another off ebay :D

Photo0174.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

Along with the snapon flare fitting wrenches I bought a pozidrive screwdriver.

Is the picture posted the "pozidrive" screwdriver? What is special about it? It looks like a standard phillips to me. I have a full set of snapon screwdrivers and the phillips looks identical to the one you pictured.

Is the picture posted the "pozidrive" screwdriver? What is special about it? It looks like a standard phillips to me. I have a full set of snapon screwdrivers and the phillips looks identical to the one you pictured.

Pozidrive and Phillips are really similar. And I've used a Phillips screwdriver on occasion to work on my ski bindings which are held on with Pozidrive screws.

There is something different about the angles in the tip. Its very subtle. I did try the pozidrive screwdriver in one of the screws and you can really tell its a better fit. The pozidrive screws can be identified by an additional hash mark between each piece of the x on the screw head.

I forgot about the easy ones, battery carrier, tach & dwell meter,flashlite, compression gauge,timing lite, remote starter switch, and a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge.

The whole thing looks like the third drawer down in my bottom tool box.

I forgot about the easy ones, battery carrier, tach & dwell meter,flashlite, compression gauge,timing lite, remote starter switch, and a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge.

The whole thing looks like the third drawer down in my bottom tool box.

Niel;

That sounds exactly like my tool box:cool:

• Like 1

YES! Vise grip spring compressor. I made one of these back in the later 80s to pull some valves out of the 49 Merc flathead V8. Later I made this one to do the valve guide seals on the 88 or 89 V6 caravan. This tool allowed me to pull the valve springs on the engine without pulling the head or Plenum. A traditional spring compressor that goes over the valve stem would not fit on either engine. So I made my own.

I picked this up earlier this summer. Looking for others methods of wrench organization. Currently thinking of using these but instead of sticking them to the drawers or drawer liners I'd like to use magnets.

DSC01981.jpg

wrench_organizer_2.jpg