(OT) I would buy it but........

RobertKB

I would be too tempted to drink it. I can taste it now. Mmmmmm good!!!!

I actually had a bottle of rye my brother gave me for being the best man at his wedding (first of three) in 1970. It was bottled in 1967 and tasted great a couple of years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1933-Seagrams-Whiskey-Sealed-FULL-Chrysler-Ed-RARE_W0QQitemZ320093280008QQcategoryZ7175QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rye2.jpg

rye.jpg

I guess it would be a good collectors item. Not sure how good the contents would be. I once bought a partially full bottle of Candaian Club canadian blended whiskey at a rummage sale. Had been around a while, but not near so old as this item. It tasted more like turpentine than whiskey. So out it went. Fortunately it was not very expensive to start with.

I thought the same thing about being able to sell on E-bay..guess as how the taxes were paid on original sale maye they assume ok..however is there a guarantee that somone under age won't get it..who has the risk say if a 19 year old got it, got drunk...hit kids in a crosswalk..maybe I worry too much.

If you go to the auction it actually asks the buyer to provide a copy of their driver's licence but that is still no guarantee as the buyer could use someone else's licence. At the price they are asking (US$299.99), I think most kids would rather buy lots of Miller High Life, Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels, etc. if in the US or Molson Canadian, Seagram V.O. (still sold), or Screech up here.

In Canada, the drinking age is 18 in most provinces and 19 in a couple. I know in my province, Alberta, it was lowered from 21 to 18 around 1971. I know in the US the drinking age is 21. Seems strange you can join the Armed Services and put your life on the line at 18 but can't drink until you're 21.

Greg, in my cynical opinion it wouldn't help. Even with possibly inebriated 18, 19, and 20 year olds voting, we still manage to elect morons up here both federally and provincially. Hasn't been a politician around in a long time that I have any respect for. I always vote though because I want my "bitching" rights.

I thought the same thing about being able to sell on E-bay..guess as how the taxes were paid on original sale maye they assume ok..however is there a guarantee that somone under age won't get it..who has the risk say if a 19 year old got it, got drunk...hit kids in a crosswalk..maybe I worry too much.

My neighbor has a collection of automobile decanters with the original seal, that he was asking if I wanted to sell for him on E-bay. I said that there were probably issues with Ages of the buyers and with shipping whiskey via UPS so I never pursued it. Looks like it would be possible.

Dennis Sullivan