Whatizit from finland

Uncle-Pekka

Cool it... It's most probably an american car...

This photo was taken in 1959 when the Christmas lights were lit in down town Helsinki (season opening for the shops). Santa Claus rode to town in this 1929 sedan. (text says "here comes Santa Claus")

The car is covered by frost and on the windshield there is a typical finnish winter accessory: A double glass sealed on to keep ice & frost off the screen.

joulupukkijpg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

61 views so far no comments...

Was it something I said? Sincerely no offense...

Well, at the time I posted this I did not knew myself the make of the car.

Yesterday night I studied "the spotters guide" by Tad Burness and now I THINK I know this car - You guys should also know... It is a mopar.

Nope - not a Dodge. Look at the radiator top. Also side window shape is typical with this very model. As I mentioned before: do not pay attention to the odd weatherstrip on the windshield - it's an aftermarket gadget.

• 3 months later...
Mikä kaupunki oli tämä kuva?

Hi Mark,

This is Helsinki - I scanned this from the capital newspaper "Helsingin sanomat".

I also put a thread on the web page of the veteran car club of Finland seeking more information of this car. Sadly and to my big surprise it seems, that in spite of that this DeSoto appeared in the first gatherings of the club in late 50's, it is probably been destroyed in the 60's (I do not have details, how it could happen...) Very sad incident - I have never ever seen this old DeSoto "a-live" (=ahead of me).

Cheers,

Pekka

P.s.

How come you know finnish language ???

Hyvää huomenta Pekka! Very interesting story about the Desoto. Would love to know more, but it seems lost to the sands of time. I've been to Finland about 11 times in the past 15 years and love to see the old US steel roaming around on the streets over there. Vastaus kysymykseesi: I was raised in central Massachusetts in a town filled with Finnish immigrants. Quite literally surrounded in my neighborhood. Suomen kieli was heard all the time. In 1988 I married a girl with deep Finnish roots. Perheen sukunimesi on Tervonen ja Niskanen. Most of the family lives in Raahe, Oulunsalo, Haapavesi, and Lappeenranta. The family farm still operates in Veneheitto by distant cousins. So that's the story. I traded a few emails with "fireball1" recently. He's another Finn member of P15-D24. Learned he lives in Tupos up near Oulunsalo. I've probably driven right by his house many times in the past 15 years. Which part of Finland are you located?

Cool it... It's most probably an american car...

This photo was taken in 1959 when the Christmas lights were lit in down town Helsinki (season opening for the shops). Santa Claus rode to town in this 1929 sedan. (text says "here comes Santa Claus")

The car is covered by frost and on the windshield there is a typical finnish winter accessory: A double glass sealed on to keep ice & frost off the screen.

joulupukkijpg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wooden spoke wheels.......it is in the teens...1918....1919....looks like a

Chevy grille.....

Huomenta Mark,

Cool - What do we learn: Finns are just like the chinese- all over the place!

I'am born in Kokkola, 200kms south from Oulu in the west coast. Now based in Jyväskylä - (see my "location" on the up right corner ;-))

Wooden spoke wheels.......it is in the teens...1918....1919....looks like a

Chevy grille.....

This is 1929 DeSoto model K. Look up at net or e.g. in Tad Burness "spotter's guide" - all details match. Some makes used wooden spokes until beginning of 30's.

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

You're right Neil, it does look the same.

Both DeSoto and Chrysler have similar "arched" look on the side windows.

Did they share the same body?

However Desoto grille is different.

Ralph and Gregg G. got this right in Nov.22nd.

Here we have a 1930 Chrysler - a beautiful car:

chrysler-royal-1930.jpg

Yes, I believe they shared bodies, and also withthe bottom line Dodge. I used to work with a guy that worked for Chrysler in the late 20's and early 30's. He told me that my Chrysler looked exactly like a 30 Plymouth.

The picture of the red one you have posted is exactly like mine except mine was blue where that one is red.

Everyone has a story about the one they let get away. That Chrysler is my story. I get upset whenever I think about that car. Must go now.