manifold torque

ggdad1951

ready to put my manifold on. Is there aspecific torque setting for the reverse cone nuts and the standard brass nuts? How about between the manifold halves? Or is it "good and snug"?

BTW, VPW recommends stainless bolts to bolt the halves together as they claim they won't seize.....

thanks!

Snug is how we do it. With all the hard to get at fasters it would be hard to get an accurate torque on all 13 of them. Do all of them with an open wrench and you can feel that they are all about the same tightness.

12 to 15 lb ft is what the manual calls for, however getting a torque wrench on some of the fasteners is near impossible.

The idea is to get them tight enough to seal but yet still be able to move a bit as they heat up and cool off.

Most folks have found that the bolts holding the two together should be left a bit loose untill the manifolds are tight to the block. Then they are tightened, to snug snug to allow for whatever movement that might occur between the two castings.

As far as whether those four bolts sieze again, gotta wonder how soon you might be pulling them again. Most have gotten to where they are with out being dissasembled in the past 60+ years.

great thanks!

Now the other question I forgot about...anyone have an assembly pic of the heat riser counterweight? I am a bad man for NOT taking a clear picture and my manuals have the spring set up, but no counterweight, I think I have it figured but want to make sure!

great thanks!

Now the other question I forgot about...anyone have an assembly pic of the heat riser counterweight? I am a bad man for NOT taking a clear picture and my manuals have the spring set up, but no counterweight, I think I have it figured but want to make sure!

Go to the "heat riser advisor" section inder thecnical tips in the link below.

http://www40.addr.com/~merc583/mopar/framesets/welcomeframeset.html

Go to the "heat riser advisor" section inder thecnical tips in the link below.

http://www40.addr.com/~merc583/mopar/framesets/welcomeframeset.html

I would, but when I try opening the link it shows the page for a split second and then it goes to a 404 page not found error!

Drive up and look at my spare engine :)

heh, don't tempt me....I could swing by Sat after 3 on the way to the g/f's or I'll be in SLP on Sunday late morning to bid a wood job.

Merle, kinda....I got that part figured, it's the little thingy with the woven "pad" clipped on that I don't know where to locate properly...altho I *think* I figured it. I think it bumps up against the stud on the intake manifold that the "L" hooked spring rests against after the one revolution to tension the spring.

Edited by ggdad1951

Well, put er together and that little piece of metal (arrow points at it in previous post below) in the counter balance broke at the hole. Sigh. Anyone have one, or should I just laser one out at work?

Edited by ggdad1951

ok I got it back together, BUT the little "pad" tends to hang up on the intake manifold stud a bit, so with out a little nudge with a screwdriver is just sits there (heating gently with a torch on the spring to get it to move). So do I take a little material off the stud, or?!??!?!

thanks!

all together now and works like a champ! I machined up a little spacer (none when I took it apart) as show in the tech files outa brass at work and everything!