Tire age and identification of this bias ply tire.

fedoragent

So a set of tires cost, say, $850...(that is what I just paid for a new set of Michelins). How much will you spend on a roll back for the trip home and how much to fix the wheel/fender/bumper, or what ever the ditch damaged?

...assuming the right front tire goes and not the left front...

When I was a twenty or thirty something kid I let my balls do the talking, now I'll take a more conservative approach. So what if a new radial doesn't 'look' quite proper? I've made it this far and I won't gamble on such an unknown factor. If you want to gamble on old rubber thats fine, just don't include your wife and family unless you tell them the whole story and they sign off...

exactly how i feel! couldnt have said it better myself! i know because i tried. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, I've never had a blowout in the front, only the rear, which was no big deal at all. But that was bias ply, as the subject started out. I have never had a radial fail - I stayed away from them until the early problems of flying apart were remedied.

Question: Does a radial act like a bias ply before it blows; getting hot & so forth?

Neto

I retired from a tire plant after thirty eight years of service. I check the date code when I buy new tires, I run the best tire the manufacturer makes, and I run them 50,000 miles or five years whichever comes first.

Tire compounds and construction are VERY difference with today's product.

Why take chances at 80mph?

As I said earlier, I've never had a blowout in the front, only the rear, which was no big deal at all. But that was bias ply, as the subject started out. I have never had a radial fail - I stayed away from them until the early problems of flying apart were remedied.

Question: Does a radial act like a bias ply before it blows; getting hot & so forth?

Neto

In a run flat condition, they both generate significant heat before the sidewalls

fail. As for your rear tire flat, that is why your worst tires should always be put on the front - you can steer the front to compensate.

Wait. I don't get it. :confused: Are you guys saying that a blowout in the front is easier to control than a rear blowout? Because if that is true, then a blow out is a piece of cake. Been there, done that. And both of my only blowouts occurred when I had had very little driving experience (before I learned to monitor the temp of the tires in summer temps 90 & over). Sure, I was only going 55 or so, but we're talking old cars here - how many drive their 40's cars at 80 mph?

(I'm not arguing about whether a vehicle is easier to control with a rear blowout over a front blowout - I don't know, as I've only ever had rear blowouts, but I will say that I always had the impression that a blowout in the front was more difficult to control, and therefore more dangerous.)

Neto