Why a P15-D24 ?

old rat 49

What caused you to want one of these as opposed to a Furd or Chebby ? MY STORY: All my family from Detroit drove Chrysler products. The only real memory of my Grandfather is of him driving an old 40's Plymouth and getting whiplash as he would hit the gas and let off and repeat. I was about 5 or 6 then. My Father was still driving a P15 when my older brother and I convinced him to by a new car in 65. After all; I was 17 then and couldn't be seen in that old heap. Have been wanting to get an old car for myself and the prices of the others were too high and the Plymouth was just right. Plus it brings back a family tradition. A sure sign that this was the right decision occured yesterday. Was trying to find my vacum gage which I haven't used in forever and came accross an old tool box buried in my storage shed. When I cleared out my Fathers garage after he died this just got forgotten. Found some neat old stuff in it but low and behold; there was a set of six Champion N14 plugs still in the very old boxes. I know Dad is up ther just laughing about it because I inherited the pack rat gene from him. What's your story ?

post-6704-13585357765087_thumb.jpg

Edited by old rat 49

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad bought his 51 plymouth convertible at 16 in high school. He's had many many mopars since and still does have a ton. At 11 I helped him do the mechanical restoration on the 51 while the body was being restored. At 21 he gave me a 46 dodge pickup in 100s of pieces to reassemble. A couple years after that I discovered the old version of this site and joined up. I soon fell in love with the style of the p15 and when a club coupe came up for sale locally I bought it. Proud new owner the day we towed it home. You can see why I named her Spot.

Edscar001.jpg

My first car was a P15, that had originally been purchased new by my grandfather. It became the family car after my grandfather purchased a brand new Studebaker Lark. When I needed a car to attend college in 1966,(about 60 miles from home), the Plymouth became mine. I drove it until

1968. I've kicked myself over and over for ever selling it. I tried to find whatever became of the Plymouth, but never could. Decided I wanted to find another one, and after quite a bit of searching on the internet, I found one that looked fairly good for a reasonable price. That was about 3 years ago. Still working on it, and have a long way to go before it will be ready for the street, but having a good time working on it. Recently retired, so my garage time has increased considerably.:D

Up to the early 60's my father bought anything that was on sale. Then in '66 he got hooked on Dodge Monacos. A couple of my buddies were driving Roadrunners and Chargers. In '73 I bought a '69 Roadrunner. Up 'till 3 years ago I was an all late 60's, early 70's big block Mopar person. I worked as a line mechanic for Mopar dealerships from '77 'till '86. Sold my '66 Charger in Jan. 2009 'cause I needed the money for some bills. My reason for the '41 Plymouth was it was a Mopar and I've never owned anything quite that old. I thought it would be a good learning experience for me.

Tom

No connection to MAPARs in my past (did own a '94 Eagle, but had a Mitsubishi engine). Was kind of a Ford guy growing up working on my Mustangs, but also enjoyed working on and driving my mother's VWs. Helped my grandfather work on his '51 Citroen (the contents of his shop are now with me). Really enjoy working on cars for fun in those days, but a crazy ex-wife made sure the bank account and garage stayed empty. New bride wanted an old car for me to work on and her to use in photos (see: http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=24078). The Plymouth was nearby and available. Have zero regrets - I love it!

But who knows what the next car will be? There are so many beautiful and fun designs out there that I'd hate to pidgeon-hole myself to just one. Stude's, MG's, and "Bandit" Firebirds have really been catching my eye lately. Blasphemy to some, I'm sure, but it's a big ol' world out thar...

My first car at 14 was a 34 Plymouth 4 door sedan. Took my drivers license in my folks 41 Plymouth 4 door which they traded in 50 for a 48 P-15 four door and then in 58 traded for a 54 Plymouth 4 door so I guess I come by it naturally. Bought my P-15 from the same family dealership that my folks bought theirs from. The youngest son was running the business by then and it was a project between him and his only son who died before the car was finished and he wanted it out of the shop so I bought it in 84.

My father bought a new P15 fourdoor after the war-- he once mentioned we

got the first one the dealer had-- so it must have been a 46 model. I was

about 3 years old at the time. He kept it for several years, so I recall

riding in it and helping him wash it on occasion. To make a child safety

lock for the back doors, he drilled a hole thru the door post and into the

front edge of the rear door, and inserted a guttering nail (about 8 inches

or so long).

Then, when I was a senior in high school, one of my best friends (whose

Dad owned a filling station) used to borrow a P15 convertible from one

of his father's employees. It had a Dodge truck V8 in it. We cruised

around town in that thing, thinking we were pretty darn cool. I really

liked the looks of that car, because the top came down just behind the

door glass and had no rear quarter windows.

So after college and starting a new job in sales with a national company,

I began looking around the area for one of those Plymouth convertibles.

Took a while, but finally ran onto one in a larger town about an hour from

here......stashed in a small garage at a salvage yard. It was kind of run

down, but the owner obviously knew the old ragtop was worth something.

He agreed to let me make some payments on it, then when paid for, I

took a set of wheels & tires and my tow bar, and pulled it home (about

70 miles.)

That was in 1973........and that's the car I still have today.

post-10-13585357391432_thumb.jpg

post-10-13585357391825_thumb.jpg

My Dad bought a '48 about 1951 trading a '35 Chevy on it. He kept it several years taking us from Canada to Florida and East to Pittsburgh on vacations. It was the first car I drove. I was probably 12 or 13.

When I started working in the mill I bought a first series '49 for $35 and drove it for two years. One day after finishing up the midnight shift, a buddy and I decided to make a four-door convertable. We got the top off ok with hacksaws and chisels, but the first time we tried to go around the block in our new toy, a wheel cylinder blew and it was off to the junk yard with it. I still have pictures of that car.

The '48 I have now was purchased in Shelbyville Indiana in August of 1994 because I wanted one and this one was all there, but needed lots of work. It still needs lots of stuff, but I'm having too much fun playing with it to stop and work on it.

I don't have a P15, but I can tell you why I have my '51 and '52. My '52 Cambridge is identical to the one my father bought new. I came home from the hospital in it, and have many nice memories associated with the car. We traded it in on a new '65 Dodge Coronet 440.

The 1951 business coupe is also a reminder of my childhood. When I was very young, there was a dairy company in the town where we spent our summers that had two of them, one in light gray and the other a black one like mine. So when this car came along, I grabbed it. Being one of those 'tow it out of here and it's yours' deals made the decision to get it that much easier!

Mine is a P18. I always wanted a woodie and somewhere along the line at a car show, my wife decided she wanted one too.

Probably 90% of the Woodies around today are Fords. Nicely built with a powerful flathead 8, but there are a lot of them around. We decided we wanted something different and centered on Plymouth, Dodge or Desoto. The DeSotos are pretty big bucks, plus, we wanted a driver and most deSotos we saw were nicely restored. When the 49 Plymouth came up, we particularly liked the wood and the paint looks great from 10 feet away, so I don't worry about driving it. It is pretty underpowered with the flatty 6, but my racing days are behind me, I just like to drive something that needs to be driven and is fun. We get lots of thumbs up where ever we go and have a great time in it.

The only real flaw in my theory is that now I want to splash a good paint job on it so it will look nice and purdy. But then I would be afraid to drive it.

After paying off the mortgage early, my dad started buying old cars needing TLC w/ an interest in having a representative from each decade. He bought the car that is now my own '46 P15S more door in 1986. I remember being the first member of the family to ride in it when he picked me up from band practice on his way home from buying the car. I had taken a liking to fat fendered cars after spending several hours paging through old car almanacs. We were Ford people then, but the price was right, and much cheaper than a comparable Ford.

A few years later, he and I along with my mother drove to Minot ND to bid on a '47 Fordor. Dad and I drove the Ford home and mom followed behind in my grandfather's motor home.

Dad still has the Ford, but seldom drives it. As I was beginning driver's ed., I took proprietorship of the old Plymouth. My mother admits now that she thought my father mean-hearted to give me the Plymouth to drive, and still surprised at how much I drive the car.

I drove the car through out HS. I parked the car for a couple of lean years after blowing the 218 that was in the car. I found a 230 out of a '56 Dodge; that is currently in the car.

Never afraid or too embarassed to drive the car, I finally got new upholstery this spring because the springs were poking through the seats. Some thing that has been needed since the car was purchased by my father.

I drove my '46 P15S this summer more than my '97 Neon and '89 Jeep combined. I usu. have to jump start my two modern cars because the batteries go dead from infrequent driving. Sadly, the air is getting colder, and it won't be long before I have to put the P15 up for the winter.

I just got the wife an '09 PT Cruiser, however. The Jeep and the Neon may set all winter too. LOL

My very first car was a 1930 Model A 2 door sedan (How I wish I had it today). My Dad made me sell it so he could have the garage for his and my Moms cars. After that all through high school I was a GM guy. 1950, 53, and 56 Oldsmobiles.

When I was in the Army in Washington state, I was half owner of a '39 Plymouth 4 door that my buddy and I bought from one of the locals. Had a lot of good times in that old car. Guess that this began my Mopar phase.

After being transferred from Vashon Island to Omaha, I picked up a sweet 63 Sport Fury convertible that I sold soon after getting discharged due to trans problems. Then I picked up a 65 Dart GT with the 318 which I had until starting college when I traded it for a 63 bug. (I just couldn't afford to keep the Dart at the time).

Fast forward to 1976:

I decide I want an old car again, preferably and 41 thru 48 Chevy or Plymouth coupe.

One day I see this '53 Plymouth wagon driving down the street with for sale signs on it. A couple days later I see it again. Next day it's sitting in the Co-op parking lot and I decide I'll stick around and talk to the owner.

The guy comes out and says he wants $450 for it. I tell him I'll think about it and take down the phone number. Another week goes by and still no old Chevy or Plymouth coupes. Trust me, I was scouring the countryside as well as the want ads for one. So I call the guy up and he still hasn't sold the Suburban. Says he'll take less since he's moving to Tahoe and the u-joints are going. I offer him $350 and he says "No, that's not enough". He said at least $400, I told him I couldn't afford that much, and gave him my phone number. A couple days later he calls and says "How about $375 ?" Done deal. I had a lot of fun driving and working on that car until I got it about 65% restored and then I just sort of lost interest and parked it for awhile. Lots of other things going on during that time and I always had some sort of company car to drive and not have to pay for anything other than taxes on it's lease value.

Then at the beginning of this year I felt the urge to start driving the Plymouth again and after new tires, everything new in the brake department except the lines and backing plates, new plugs & points, a complete cleaning of all the electrical connections and lamp sockets, new rear trans seal, a set of headers and a new exhaust it's finally back on the road again.

post-7145-13585357423174_thumb.jpg

post-7145-13585357423808_thumb.jpg

It was originally bought by my wife's great grandmother in 51 or 52 after the local car dealer's wife drove it for 1 or 2 years.(or so the story goes) It was passed to my wife's great uncle and then 20 years ago my father-in-law got it. Drove it a couple of times and put it in the shed till next year. 16 or so years later, he had a bad stroke and can no longer drive, can walk short distances. The car was passed to my wife (free as per one of the other recent threads). We decided we (I) would spend a bit of time and a little money to get it running and drive around. Well, after more than a bit of time and money, we are on the road. It was not a car I would have picked, but now it is the car I pick to drive whenever possible.

Thanks to this forum and its members.

saw a p15 club coupe in wst hampton ny,sitting rotting away in some gas station parking lot. asked the owners of the satation whos car it was, called the owner not knowing the car was for sale. The owner told me 20k and its mine, i hung up and forgot about it, till the next summer i saw it again. called the owner one more time, he said 15k , i said ill give you 8k right now. 2 hours later i was driving it around town with a buddys dealer plate.

the rest has been a magic carpet ride, on my frame off resto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDa5dMmfZ4

Wanted a 40's car but no buggy springs, no torque tube, with full pressure oiling, no history of overheating, nice design, and wouldn't have to put a chevy engine in it to get it down the road dependably.

thats what im gona tell people! i love your quote! it abouts sums it up! :)

My mechanic bought this car +/-5 yrs ago... I fell in love with it! I asked him a few weeks later if the car came up for sale...

"nope... I bought it as a keeper... just needing time to go cruising!" was his answer...

3yr later... I went there for a problem with my Chebby Van (duh?!) and I saw the car standing in his garage.

He asked me if I still was interested...'cause he still didn't found the time to enjoy cruising.

After a small talk with my girlfriend I decided to buy it.

I had the chance to buy it for a great price, because he knew he would see the car back again! (he still does the maintenance)

Long story,short story: I've never had a mopar car before, but I loved the design... best buy EVER!

As you all well know, my P-15 came from my grandfather. But that does not mean I do not have a deep love and passion for these cars, because I surely do! I will begin on why my grandpa wanted the car...

My grandpa always wanted another old car since he sold his '39 Buick Century Series 60 in 1992. But my grandmother was so frugal, she wouldn't let him get a car. She passed away in December 2005 and by June 2006 he had an old car! He looked for a while, until he came across a dark blue 1948 Plymouth for sale in Canton, Ohio. This car struck a nerve with him, because he and my grandma went on their first date in my grandpa's first car, a 1940 Plymouth sedan. So, being somewhat similar, he wanted this car! He called my dad up, and said "Do you and Kyle want to go look at a car?" Of course, we said "YES!" He came and picked us up for the 4+ hour drive to see the car. It was okay though, because he had a big comfy 2002 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L extended wheel base. :cool: Anywho, he loved the car in person just as much as the online pictures, and I loved it too! They wanted a little too much for it, so we went out to lunch and thought about it. I pretty much talked him into it :D He had made a deal though with them..."Find and send to me: an exterior sun-visor, dual chrome mirrors and a flare out fender extension and I'll pay your price." And they accepted. I rode home in the "new" Plymouth with my grandpa that day, and until the day he died, he always teased me about falling asleep on the way home. :P

I loved Annie from the moment I saw her! I always looked forward to seeing her again and going for a ride. The 5th owner of Annie, who also gave her that name, had sent my grandpa a large framed 48 add, and it had a dark blue sedan on it. And on the back of the frame, my grandpa wrote "To Kyle: Rich the previous owner of Annie sent me this. It's yours because you loved Annie too. Gramps", for me to have when he was gone because he knew I loved her. I have that add hanging on my wall. Along with another one, that I had gotten him. Less than a week before he died, one of my dad's sisters called him and said we(his 3 sisters) all want him and I to have Annie. The last bit of communication my grandpa understood, was when my dad sat down next to him, and told him that we were taking Annie for him and she would be well taken care of. He smiled and gave my dad a thumbs up, for it was his only movement.

If it was not for my grandpa, I probably would not even be able to pick out a 46-48 Plymouth at a car show. But that doesn't mean I love these cars any less. You don't see many, if at all, at car shows around my area. I have the only (and nicest) one and I love to show her off. My dad doesn't have much interest in the car, only the fact it was his father's. He is a "Muscle Car" guy :rolleyes: That's why he came right out and said "Annie is yours" because, he too, knew how much I loved that car. That car means more to me than anything else I own. It is my number one prized possession, and I will NEVER let anything happen to her. Annie will always be with me.

:cool:

For the last 20 years or more I had been associated with a business that was emphatically Mopar oriented; they manufactured parts and built engines for 60's and 70's vintage Mopars. I'd been thinking about a hotrod, maybe a 37 Ford, but with a Mopar drivetrain? Then one day the owner took me to a friends shop to show me his 47 Plymouth, and I thought it was kind of neat. Well built, all stock, but definitely not your basic Ford. I had already started building my hotrod motor, an aluminum-headed 505 ci Chrysler wedge torque monster, and I bought the 47 with the idea of putting the monster motor in it. So I bought the 47, and was driving it around as a stocker. Compared to what I was used to, it didn't accelerate, stop, or corner very well, so you had no option but to chill out and be calm. I decided I liked that, and I'd been concerned about the mods to install a 550 HP motor anyway, so I sold the V-8 and started collecting flathead parts. Now I have a bored out 230 with an aluminum head, dual carbs, cast iron headers, and an overdrive transmission, and I still think that driving it is kind of cool. I'm finally breaking down and installing front disk brakes and a dual master cylinder after scaring myself a few times because I'm used to the extremely good brakes in my commute car, and I've lowered it a little, but that's as far as I'm going with mods. Hope to have it running again soon so that I can go for a nice, relaxing weekend drive again.

Marty

Edited by martybose
the usual typo.

That's beautiful, Kyle. My grandfather's car is being well-love by my uncle who learned to drive in it. I got many of my grandfather's power tools. They are 1930's era Craftsman and DeWalt professional series... about a million pounds each, underpowered, bulky to the point of overfilling my shop. And I cherish every second I get to spend using them.

Annie's beautiful... it's great to hear how much your grandfather got to enjoy her before he left her for you.