exhaust bolts

richards47deluxe

Thanks Tod. I guess it would have helped to mention it is for a 1947 218. But I am going to try those anyway.

I figured that. But I'm at work and my parts book is at home so all I had access to is the on-line data on my web site. I know the gasket between the two manifolds is supposed to be the same from 1933 through the 1950s, so the bolt diameter is probably correct. Don't know if they changed the length as they went through various manifold designs.

That sounds like the correct bolt size. However I would be HIGHLY surprised if you were missing those bolts. I suspect you'll find someone else has already broken them off for you.

Here's what I would do. Pull the intake and exhaust as a unit. Get them somewhere you can work on them easily and heat the intake to get the remaining two out. Done this many times. Sometimes they still break. Typically they break with some bolt sticking out of the intake and you can cut a screwdriver slot in whats left and then with lots of heat get them out.

• Like 1

both manifolds off, there were 3 broken bolts that keep manifolds together, used liquid wrench, let stand for 20 minutes. each bolt had about 1/4 inch exposed. used a stud extractor, ALL CAME OUT VERY EASY!!! no cracked manifolds. picking up gaskets from NAPA auto parts in the a.m., should be on the road by noon......THANKS FOR THE PARTS LEAD!!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

FYI, If you have a bolt broken off and there is enough sticking out take a nut place it over the part sticking out and with a stick welder weld the inside full, then let it cool some, then back it out.

The weld from a stick welder won't stick to cast.

Seabee

• Like 1

On my Desoto engine I used bolts with nuts to assemble the intake and exhaust manifold.

bnch3.jpg

That is one area where the longer 6 really is better. The 23" ones have blind holes. VERY common to have broken bolts in there.