*@!!*%^&@#!! water pump

richards47deluxe

so i changed the water pump out today. put everything back together and it started leaking at top where pump meets the block. Any ideas?? cleaned all surfaces, glued gasket to water pump, applies a thin film of silicone between pump and block, put silicone on bolts and still leaks. used air to blow off water and it is definitely between block and water pump. so what's the scoop??:confused:

post-1694-13585357244469_thumb.jpg

I think what i did was tighten the middle bolt first then the 2 end ones. re-did the installation now there is a very small leak from one of the backing plate bolts. going to drain some water, back out that bolt. apply some silicone and hopefully that will stop it. At least now I can remove the radiator and water pump blindfolded now.

Richard.

There is a Gasket between the backing Plate and Pump that needs gasket sealant also - do both sides - then bolt it to the pump. Then butter up the gasket between the Pump and Block and then bolt to the Block.

That Backing Plate needs Gasket Sealer on the Gasket between it and the Pump. I first put a Water Pump on a Flat Head back in the mid 70's and didn't seal that "inbetween" Gasket and then learned it must be done also.

Good Luck! You can make your own gaskets from a roll of Water Pump Gasket Material with Sicsors and a Hole Punch real easy.

Tom