If your time billable, how much would your car be worth?

jd52cranbrook

Not including the original price of the car

Say $50 per hour

I realize for most this is a hobby, a few may be even in it for profit.

For me it's my second car, (2003 4x2 Ram), so it has to run well. We take it everywhere, hence the T-5, AC, Stereo, three point seat belts, etc.

But if I was to charge for my hours working on my car to get it to where it is today, it would be way way overpriced. Heck I even rewired the car twice because I didn't like the first results.

When I bought this car, from a Chevy guy, he said don't put any money into it, just use it to get you into the correct car events. (because it wasn't a ford or Chevy, or any popular car used for hot rodding or classics.) I haven't seen him in the six years I have had it, but I think he would be surprised to see it now.

I started crunching numbers, my car would be worth a mint. :eek:

Edited by jd52cranbrook

You talking just billable rate or wage plus madated costs, disability comp, SSan, legacy cost, sunk costs, dues, certfications costs, health insurance etc. I work for about 10 bucks an hour but that would cost a regular employer about 75+ these days.

Here is another question would you charge yourself more for mechanical work that bosy work, or welding over running wires. Or painting compared to sanding bondo? How about upholstery and glass/rubber work?

Hey Don, you could be out boozin and chasin' skirts, how much would that set the family coffers back as opposed to tinkering in the garage. Did you get that grouting all done??

Dont go there, or there, or there!!!

I just got off the phone with Lisa (she is still in Akron, NY) and she told me it is a whooping 70 degrees there today. Here in Tennessee it is pushing 90F.

Edited by Don Coatney

I'm lucky enough to

if it were all to come down to the money...the guy who buys his completed is the better investor..

however..where is the fun in that

True

Plus I dont want Lisa to know as she calls my car a money pit.

I'm lucky enough to have a partner who enjoys both working and cruisin in the car. But we still watch the money part of it. Labor is free...And actually she works less on it now, which is ok too.

You talking just billable rate or wage plus madated costs, disability comp, SSan, legacy cost, sunk costs, dues, certfications costs, health insurance etc. I work for about 10 bucks an hour but that would cost a regular employer about 75+ these days.

Here is another question would you charge yourself more for mechanical work that bosy work, or welding over running wires. Or painting compared to sanding bondo? How about upholstery and glass/rubber work?

That's why I mentioned $50 per hour. It's all variable, in everything.

Edited by jd52cranbrook

When I first bought the P15, I began to keep a running tally of expenses on an Excel spreadsheet. I stopped doing that...it was amounting to more than I had hoped. I didn't want the cost to put a damper on my enthusiasm for working on the car. But the more work I did, the more I discovered that needed attention. Things that I just couldn't ignore. So now, I try not to think about the expense. I'm retired now, with a lot of available time to work on the car, and I'm having a blast doing it. It's hard to put a price on that.:D

Yeah, ya gotta realize that when the cars were newly built, nobody had to stand around guessing how they came apart and were put back together, or degrease it, or straighten this and that, etc. It all just fell into place. The beauty of the assembly line.

If Chrysler was to tool up and build one of these old designs today, it would cost as much as a new 300. So a new "old" car would maybe be more in line with what we have into ours.