Nice Woody

aero3113

My 3 owner (one being my grandfather from 1968-2009) unrestored 50 Dodge Coronet has the optional Gryo-Matic transmission. My understanding (passed down from Grandpa who was a mechanic/restorer by trade) was that "Gyro-Matic" was Dodge's name for the M6 trans, which had various other names (tip-toe, etc.) across the Chrysler line up.

Mike

according to the motors manual I have here at the house the Gryro-Matic (M6) was an option for the Dodge at that time as it is covered in the Dodge section of the repair manual..and I think I recall reading this also in the Allpar website...

Thank both of you for my continuing education.

Weren't they Gyro-Matic, Tip Toe, and Presto-matic, and the less well know Truck-o-matic.... UH HUH look it up. Wonder what the plymouth version would have been named had there been one??? Pilgram atic (no, to close to problimatic) Depend-o-matic, Econ - o-matic???

I'm glad you all enjoyed my boo bird comment. But I still stand by it.

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone making comments about cars, or items for sale, or anything else for that matter. Anything is up for discussion, even my boo bird comment.

What I find distasteful, classless, immature, and just rude (for lack of a g rated word) are posts that ridicule, insult, and put down another seller or person because that person does not know the item he/she is selling, or didn't bring the car up "snuff" compared to someone else, or even describe it accurately.

All for the purpose (it seems to me at least), to puff out one's chest because he/she has that knowledge and has a urgent need to show it for all to honor.

It was just a month or so ago a person new on here was trying to sell his deceased Dad's car and may have misrepresented it. He was crucified on here. Some people thrive on showing their wealth of knowledge at other's expense.

Now that's how I interpret some posts, and I don't believe I am far off on my assessment.

but in regard to the earlier post and the boo bird comment, that was defined by the entry word "Bob" addressing him by name on his post and reference to ads in general..and we all know the many ads we have discussed here...and if comments and opinions are no longer acceptable here..then I fail to see how this can be called a forum

OK I don't have a clue what you mean with "Bob" and what or who I was referring to. I tried not to infer anyone in particular.

Actually, the seller (a dealer in St Louis) DID state it was a nice original

car restored. To me, the revised radio is no big deal. He could have even

made the clock quartz, as long as he mentions it.

Actually, I don't have any quibbles with this seller - just with other sellers

descriptions and terminology. Nothing I can do anything about except

comment on it. I don't think a lot of sellers are dishonest, just uninformed.

But they proceed ahead using the buzzwords of the old car field.

Bob, first off, if I directed anything toward your post it was a mistake, but I don't see where I did. I feel your among the many on here who are pretty much a straight shooter, and I appreciate that.

But,

What am I missing here? He didn't say it was restored to original shape did he? I agree this seller was pretty straight forward in his description. I don't see anywhere are at where he misled anybody.

No where in my post did I say there was false advertising, plain and simple it is not original and should not be advertised as such, it is rebuilt to the owner's wants.....so leave interpreting my posts up to me.

Plain and simple I still don't see where it says restored to original.

And what the heck does "so leave interpreting my posts up to me." mean?

You post it, people interpret it.

I guess you all can go on having a smile to this, I don't mind. To me at least there is little value to insulting a person on the Internet. Winning a war of words may be important to some, makes them feel much better when they sign off I guess.

Some people thrive in finding fault in others. I still say a forum topic could be to ridicule one person's car a week, I volunteer mine first.

I might add something, this, and a still active post I believe about the police car. Both threads listed phone numbers to call IF someone really wanted a answer to a question. Much easier then putting up post after post, (at least for me), to dial, talk to someone, get a straight answer maybe, but at least you would know. Heck you could even ask him if knows what he's talking about.

Edited by jd52cranbrook

I'm glad you all enjoyed my boo bird comment. But I still stand by it.

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone making comments about cars, or items for sale, or anything else for that matter. Anything is up for discussion, even my boo bird comment.

What I find distasteful, classless, immature, and just rude (for lack of a g rated word) are posts that ridicule, insult, and put down another seller or person because that person does not know the item he/she is selling, or didn't bring the car up "snuff" compared to someone else, or even describe it accurately.

All for the purpose (it seems to me at least), to puff out one's chest because he/she has that knowledge and has a urgent need to show it for all to honor.

It was just a month or so ago a person new on here was trying to sell his deceased Dad's car and may have misrepresented it. He was crucified on here. Some people thrive on showing their wealth of knowledge at other's expense.

Now that's how I interpret some posts, and I don't believe I am far off on my assessment.

OK I don't have a clue what you mean with "Bob" and what or who I was referring to. I tried not to infer anyone in particular.

Bob, first off, if I directed anything toward your post it was a mistake, but I don't see where I did. I feel your among the many on here who are pretty much a straight shooter, and I appreciate that.

But,

What am I missing here? He didn't say it was restored to original shape did he? I agree this seller was pretty straight forward in his description. I don't see anywhere are at where he misled anybody.

Plain and simple I still don't see where it says restored to original.

And what the heck does "so leave interpreting my posts up to me." mean?

You post it, people interpret it.

I guess you all can go on having a smile to this, I don't mind. To me at least there is little value to insulting a person on the Internet. Winning a war of words may be important to some, makes them feel much better when they sign off I guess.

Some people thrive in finding fault in others. I still say a forum topic could be to ridicule one person's car a week, I volunteer mine first.

I might add something, this, and a still active post I believe about the police car. Both threads listed phone numbers to call IF someone really wanted a answer to a question. Much easier then putting up post after post, (at least for me), to dial, talk to someone, get a straight answer maybe, but at least you would know. Heck you could even ask him if knows what he's talking about.

You don't get it...we are stating our opinions, and you are firing back because you disagree. The world is all touchy feely now...believe it or not I am free to disagree with any post you make, that is my right as well as yours.

If that hurts your feelings or rubs you the wrong way, Oh well, life goes on. I don't see how anybody's feelings can be injured on here....none of you feed me or give me gratification.

Grow a thicker skin my Dad used to say, and other peoples opinions won't bother you. I am not arguing, I am simply stating my view on things.....it is my right as a forum member as long as I do not become threatening or abusive.....so walk it off or rub some dirt on it, whatever makes you feel better.

Boo3

I get it just fine Frankie, and your wrong on this one, in general. (my opinion right?)

I guess I think there are better ways to express something other than basically inferring some guy is a idiot for not posting a item exactly the way he/she would. Or being insulted because of it. But hey, that's just me.

I am also not saying you did this, or even on this thread. But it happens, for whatever value I have no idea.

My skin is pretty thick, almost leather like, from age and the life I live. And I don't like bullies. I tolerate them, just don't like em.

Edited by jd52cranbrook

This thread started with a nice Dodge but is so far off topic it needs to end. Either kill the thread or get back to the nice car that started it.

Your right, I apologize for my contribution to it. It is a great car for sure.

Edited by jd52cranbrook

I am not angry with you or the owner, nor am I a bully for stating my opinion, JD believe me when I say this, I do respect you and your take on this issue.

Sometimes things in print don't come across as subtle and inflection also tone are missing from the conversation.......Robert I do agree with JD about ruining this thread and for that I also apologize.

I will not change my opinion however, because I am entitled to it and the right to state it.

Jd thank you for the debate.

So, having said all that, is the car worth it? Worth is determined by alot of factors, all being different between those doing the assessing. If I could afford it (affordability being determined by ME) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. So, yes, it's worth it.

It is only worth that if some one actually opens their wallet or checkbook. To many folks have been drinking the Barret Jackson Cool aid lately. Come one, itsa a Dodge, not a Pierce arrow, Duesenburg, Auburn or Cord.

Basically it is a very nicely preseted and upgraded Antique (as defined by being 25 + years old) American production car. The limited production does give it a bit of exclusivity not atributed to the rest of it assembly line Dodges built that year, but its not a car purchased from a celebrity original owner, it did not distinguish itself by some conspicuous service to the country or society. Its a well preserved family transportation device that could have been owed by any one with a job in the year it was produced. How it got to be in a position to be marketed at its current price is a mystery I can not understand.

The big question after paying nearly 90K for the car, what would you do with it????

It surely has not been used as an automobile since the nut and bolt restoration was done. So would it sit in your garage, or its enclosed trailer, or your new museum wing on the house???

I would like to be able to enjoy it after freeing that many dead presidents......

I would love to be able to afford to buy a beautifully restored beautiful car and just drive the wheels off of it! It would drive people crazy, but I always thought that cars were meant for driving, not sitting in trailers or museums. A few years ago my son and I visited a local fellow who has a private museum of motorcycles. He had a replica built of the bike from the movie "Easy Rider." A beautiful machine, authentically done, all chromed with the stars and stripes on the tank. He has a long driveway, and I asked him if he ever rode the bike, even if it was just down the drive and back, just see what it feels like. He said "Oh no, you don't ride a motorcycle like this!" I looked at it again and saw that it had metal pegs welded to the head tube so that the front end couldn't turn more than a few degrees. I nodded, but I was thinking: "This guy should collect postage stamps!"

Dave

That particular car just sold at an R&M auction last July for $63,800, including the buyers premium. I know because I was interested in what I think is a really beautiful woody (and the near twin to my 49 Ply) but was willing to only bid to the high 40's.

Frankly, I think it was worth more than my bid, but Plymouth and Dodge Woodies don't bring the cash that Fords, and some of the higher quality ones (like DeSoto, Packard, etc.) do. But, I figured if i could buy it right, i was interested.

I am surprised to see it was apparently purchased for resale, and doubt at the price paid that the seller will make out OK. I guess I am also surprised at the seller. i have seen a few cars from this seller on EBAY and have always assumed this was a museum selling off portions of its collection.

This car had been in a collection for several years and I assume would need a full brake and rubber treatment to be reliably drivable, but the condition was quite nice, not outstanding as the restoration was old and the paint showed it. Still, a great car and a fairly rare one, though not necessarity sought after.

I thought the vintage luggage and rack was a nice touch. Not the usual longboard, which I also like.