The official "Who Sees Snow First" thread

HanksB3B

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny thing about it is, I recognize the topograpy because I live in California. Only thing is, where I know the area with a major freeway, there's nothing except dirt roads and highways under construction.

Thanks,

Hank :)

P.S. Who knows the make/model/yr of some of the vehicles shown in the video.

Edited by HanksB3B

funny thing about it is, I recognize the topograpy because I live in California. Only thig i,s where I know the area with a major freeway, there's nothing except dirt roads and highways under construction.

Thanks,

Hank :)

P.S. Who knows the make/model/yr of some of the vehicles shown in the video.

Most of those Jim Handy films were sponsored by Chevrolet and while I don't know Chevys very well I would not be surprised if they were 1940 (film copy right year) Chevrolets.

Local news says that Adirondack high peaks are getting snow

Tonight

nt_snow.gif

Snow or rain. Snow...mainly above 1500 feet. Rain may mix with snow at times at elevations of 1000 to 1500 feet. Additional snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Lows in the 30s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent

Local news says that Adirondack high peaks are getting snow

Tonight

nt_snow.gif

Snow or rain. Snow...mainly above 1500 feet. Rain may mix with snow at times at elevations of 1000 to 1500 feet. Additional snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Lows in the 30s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent

Above 1500 feet? High peaks? Heck, that's just foothills.

75 degrees outside right now and sunny. I'm hoping for a change in the weather soon as I am mentally shifting gears to the start of ski season. A slight ray of hope, on Monday there is a 10% chance of mixed rain and snow on the mountain I do some of my skiing. That is only 8800 feet elevation, far short of some of the real mountains in the state.

Question, what is the line between foothills and mountains? Where the P15's and Pilot-house's get hot in the summer. :D

Out here: valley, foothills, chaperals, scrub oak, deciduous pines, above the tree line. West of me are the Sierra's, tree lines are usually above 9,000 feet!. One of my favorite fishing lakes is at 8,500 feet at the tree line. All granite above that lake, a beautiful spot.

"a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft." According to this definition there may not be a line, never thought about it before. In the Sierras and The Rockies we find several different levels growth patterns, but in Switzerland they live on valleys that are very high, in So Amerca also, where the climate is moderate. SO probably the line is very localized. Don, thanks for the question, made me think.

Edited by pflaming
Added a definition

• 2 weeks later...

first snow of the season here in Minneapolis/St. Paul this AM on the way to woork, rain doesn't blow lke that (even in the 50MPH winds we have right no)...time to get the blower ready!

Yup I saw it too. And neither of my vehicles are stored for winter yet. Truck goes 7:30AM sat. Car unsure. Maybe sat too if its nice enough for a drive.

supposed to warm up to mid 50's on Saturday still I think.

I believed the weather guys and put my Truck, with the Jeep rearend sitting in the box, into storage for the winter. So my red truck now is the 2000 Ranger.

Back to the weather, this morning the wind was howling and I was watching snow flakes dance in front of the yard light at the golf course this morning. The snow won't stick but it is a reminder. Man if we got this storm in the winter, we'd be stuck indoors for at least three days.

It's all a product of that massive low pressure area up above us. Last night on the news they were showing that the western Dakota's were getting ponded with blizzard like conditions. Also, this low pressure zone has set records. International Falls set a record for atmospheric low pressure in Minnesota and Superior set the same record for Wisconsin. They are saying that the pressure at the center of this Low is equal to the eye of a catagory 3 huricane, and if this weather pattern was over the ocean it would be a huricane. So far I've just seen high winds and a bit of rain yesterday. The tornado missed me by around 20 miles.

Merle

I believed the weather guys and put my Truck, with the Jeep rearend sitting in the box, into storage for the winter. So my red truck now is the 2000 Ranger.

Back to the weather, this morning the wind was howling and I was watching snow flakes dance in front of the yard light at the golf course this morning. The snow won't stick but it is a reminder. Man if we got this storm in the winter, we'd be stuck indoors for at least three days.

My storage for the truck is scheduled by the building. I don't get to pick when I show up. So rain sun or snow I'll be there on saturday.