New man on board.

49Bseries

Well let me start out by introducing myself. My name is Jim. I have been lurking here for a few days to get some information about a Pilot House that I have been considering. This forum is fantastic - so thank you all for the info. Just about eight weeks ago I was sitting in the Iraqi desert and now here I am in a hotel on a mountain in Virginia preparing to tow my first B series Dodge truck home (using my 2005 Dodge Ram). It is of course raining and the Pilot House is full of water. I am sure some of you have seen this truck on Ebay or craigslist, but I drove up here and purchased it. It is a pretty solid truck with some typical problems. It was advertised as a 1949 B series because that is on the title, but the body plate is stamped B2 and 116. The parking brake is on the dash as well. The old truck is fairly solid and runs pretty well, but there is no brake pedal pressure. I think it has leaked down - so I will fill the master cylinder and pump it up a bit before loading it on the car hauler. I started out wanting an old truck in the 1947 to 1957 range. I like all three makes, but the Chevy and Ford trucks in descent shape are way over priced for my budget. I will definitely need to find some proper wheels and hubcaps (I like stock). Glass and rubber needs replaced. The interior sunvisors are missing. Who knows what brake problems I will run into...One board in the bed has rotted through. The gas tank appears to be trashed. Both front and rear bumpers are there, but I dislike the ubiquitous shop welded triangles at the rear of the bed, so they will come off. I will need to install turn signals and seat belts....so a good little project. I will paint a different color eventually. I am really looking forward to adding to the discussions. Thanks again.

Jim,

Welcome! The condition of your truck from the pics from your album looks like you got a pretty good condition truck. I am sure you will find this forum unbelievable helpful as I have over the past two years. The knowledge and people here are awesome. Brake parts are easy to come by for your model and readily available if your wheel and master cylinder need to be rebuilt.

KJ

I agree! Great starting point. What's the plan? original, hot rod, racer, old skool, gasser, or daily driver with character......

As far as the rear of the bed goes....I think we should all post our "finds" as to what has been done back there. Some of the old farmers where pretty dang creative and others.....well...not so much. lol. Welcome back, and welcome to the forum!

48D

I echo others in thanking you for your service to our country. I wonder if those other grill bars are stainless under that paint. Buffed out, that truck might look REALLY good. Enjoy and keep us up to date, we like to see new people and new projects.

Glad you made it home safe.

You won't find a more helpful group of people to help with your pilot-house truck than right here on this forum. The experience and helpfulness is terrific.

Looks like you have a great start on the truck already.

If you haven't already do so, stop by the DPETCA website as well. It has alot of material that can help you as well. http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/index.htm

Thanks everyone for the kind words of welcome. Today the wife and I towed the truck home on a U Haul vehicle hauler. The hauler performed very well (all for 119 dollars rental). A 6 hour drive (328 miles), but uneventful and the truck is now safely in my driveway. My standard Ram 1500 was sitting verrrry low in the rear, but pulled with little effort like a champ the entire trip. Pflaming: I wondered also about that one stainless grill piece but alas, no luck - the other two are painted steel. I managed to bleed the brakes enough to get the truck off the trailer at my house, but loading it on the trailer without brakes from the previous owner was a bit touchy. Of course now I am seeing alot that has to be done....the list is really growing.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of welcome. Today the wife and I towed the truck home on a U Haul vehicle hauler. The hauler performed very well (all for 119 dollars rental). A 6 hour drive (328 miles), but uneventful and the truck is now safely in my driveway. My standard Ram 1500 was sitting verrrry low in the rear, but pulled with little effort like a champ the entire trip. Pflaming: I wondered also about that one stainless grill piece but alas, no luck - the other two are painted steel. I managed to bleed the brakes enough to get the truck off the trailer at my house, but loading it on the trailer without brakes from the previous owner was a bit touchy. Of course now I am seeing alot that has to be done....the list is really growing.

Heh, don't i know that! My buddy got me going on my truck and said 5-6K no problem...I'm 10k in and haven't even put the engine back together! I've learned tho thi sis getting to be lots of fun and a great "new" thing in life to do! Enjoy!