Looking for oil leaks...

Jim Saraceno

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up this old post, but I have perused this one today with great interest. I too have been chasing oil leaks since the day I filled my engine and gearbox with oil. It is encouraging to find that I am not the only one with these issues, but I am determined that I will have a leak-free engine and gearbox one day.

I find that I have the same oil leaks that Jim listed way back at the beginning of this post - front and rear of engine and oil pump.

I will attend a seals shop tomorrow to pick up a seal (shown as 'gasket 10-08-3' in the attached pic) to try and resolve my oil pump oil leak.

I am yet to solve my timing cover oil weep and my possible rear main seal oil weep. Then I move onto the oil weeps from the speedo cable where it attaches to the gearbox, and the weep from the front of the gearbox somewhere. I am hoping that installing a gasket between the bell-housing and the gearbox case will divert any oil leak to the gearbox pan. Then I may add some silicone to the gearbox main shaft hole in the gearbox casing and all will be done. It sounds so simple in theory!

I would be more than pleased if anybody has come up with a miracle cure for any of my (or our) oil weeping woes. What's your secret Jim as I see that you have travelled the same road quite sometime ago?

Desotodav

post-7583-13585366111641_thumb.jpg

Let us know what you find to replace 10-08-3. It is kind of a non standard size (actually a couple of different over the years) being a square oring. When my D30 was leaking there I pulled the pump cover, put hylomar on the gasket and a thin layer of blue rtv on the housing outside of the oring. That worked but I would like to fix it right.

What do you guys think of silicon gasket maker? I've never been a fan of it because of the removal the next time you take things apart and I like to cut my own gaskets using the proper materials. I'm changing my opinion on this in some cases. I had a ford truck that I sold with 260,000 miles that never leaked a drop, it was sealed with mostly silicon as are probably all modern engines. Is there a place for silicon in the flathead world?

Let us know what you find to replace 10-08-3. It is kind of a non standard size (actually a couple of different over the years) being a square oring. When my D30 was leaking there I pulled the pump cover, put hylomar on the gasket and a thin layer of blue rtv on the housing outside of the oring. That worked but I would like to fix it right.

I bought 6 of these when I was ordering parts for the rebuild on my P-23. I have 5 left that I'll let go for $5.50 ea. to the lower 48. Let me know....

What's your secret Jim as I see that you have travelled the same road quite sometime ago?

Wow, it's been so long ago I don't remember. I did stop the leaks in the tranny for a while by putting silicone over the main shaft holes but that eventually started leaking again.

I honestly don't remember what the status of the engine leaks is.

Sorry:o