Bonneville Day 3

Bob_Koch

Tim got his 5 runs in today. Broke 100MPH. He was delighted with those results. A few pics here of Tim getting checked for his harness, helmet and last minute instructions. Then at the starting line waiting for the signal to go. The guy with his hat on the ground is Ed who delivers to you your timing at the end of each run. A terrific guy and fun to talk to. He was happy that Tim broke the 100 mark. Asked us to pop the hood for a look at the engine.

Some real interest in the truck here. Lots of people asking about the Dodge truck and what's in it. When Tim left the first run starting line the starting line member turned to another track member and said, "That's a real hot rod. It's got a Chrysler motor and a Volarie front end." Everyone here has been real positive and always interested in hearing our story. And they all understand what it takes just to get here. I guess there's even been some discussion of it on the land speed forum. Almost everyone here has been great to talk with.

I got to run this afternoon and did 91 MPH. Even though I pushed the truck hard sometimes it went even slower. Ed our timing official thought it was the tires breaking traction on the salt. Next year a lot of different changes including better tires.

Zak will put in his 5 runs tomorrow and my brother Earl will drive the truck for the experience. Then it's time to pack up and go home.

P.S. Yes, the picture of the Delorian is from Back to the Future. They were on the way to San Francisco and decided to stop by Bonneville. A team of photographers were photographing it and then came over and asked to photograph us with the truck.

post-167-13585356818884_thumb.jpg

post-167-13585356819576_thumb.jpg

post-167-13585356820633_thumb.jpg

post-167-13585356821688_thumb.jpg

post-167-13585356822757_thumb.jpg

Three things:

1. This is one of the coolest things I have seen. I am already looking forward to the modifications from what you learned and future results.

2. I think painting the bumper mounts a different color will net you a couple MPHs

3. I showed my wife your posts and she immediately asked "Why?" I responded "Why not?" We stared at each other for a couple seconds before she just walked away. Don't know if that is good or bad but I have witnessed one of our dogs and our cat do the same thing. (The staring and walking away, not asking each other questions).

• Haha 1

Three things:

1. This is one of the coolest things I have seen. I am already looking forward to the modifications from what you learned and future results.

2. I think painting the bumper mounts a different color will net you a couple MPHs

3. I showed my wife your posts and she immediately asked "Why?" I responded "Why not?" We stared at each other for a couple seconds before she just walked away. Don't know if that is good or bad but I have witnessed one of our dogs and our cat do the same thing. (The staring and walking away, not asking each other questions).

They just don't understand, so forget trying to explain........LOL

YEEEHAWWW!!!!!! lol.....what a blast! had the best time ever. I'm pretty happy to have a place to share the experience too. Bob was a great driver and he and his brother Earl made great pit crew members. Next year Earl wants to drive too.

The best moment was watching my son take the wheel. He really is my best friend and to be able to share that moment on the track, meant an awlful lot to me.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Nice to have friends who get how fun these trucks are.

48D

post-580-13585356834368_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585356835616_thumb.jpg

post-580-1358535683678_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585356837833_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585356838772_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wonder what it would have done with the bed covered or the tailgate open??? Are there rules specific to that?? What about blanking some of the grill opening and smoothing the front pan. think I woulda taped the widshield wiper holes also.

But all that aside looks like you had too much fun.

getting there was the first goal. learning the ropes was second. finishing was third.

We did everything we set out to do...and a bit more. Next year will be all about going faster! lol.

Top of the list: Taller skinner tires, adjustable rear upper control arms, carb riser, new tach, taller diff gear, original cab glass, AND a tonneau of some sort. I was going to build a nice bed cover but ran out of time. There was a Chevy that had plywood and duct tape covering his truck....must have worked, he hit 130 plus.

48D

post-580-13585356847778_thumb.jpg

And the best time and speed was????????????????????

Had we known the tach was fried, we might have gone faster. We thought we were saving the motor cuz the tach was reading 8000 rpms. I finally checked it and discovered it was off by half. We were at 4000 rpms when it was reading 8000 rpms....may not have made a big difference because the salt was breaking free from our less than perfect tires. Zac topped out at 83.13318 mph, Bob at 91.10098 mph, and myself at 100.65873 mph.

Racing on the salt was different than any racing I have done before, its like being on wet asphalt. At the upper 90's I was doing a 4 tire drift to the right and then was able to correct it back left...much like skating. I never felt out of control, but the experience was new. I think with the taller and narrow tires we'll have better luck.

48D

Last and only time I raced on the salt was in 1969. I was on two wheels (3 cylinder BSA pictured below) not 4 and my best time was 116MPH. The record I was shooting for was 125.108MPH in class CC 750CC. Take note of the 1000CC class SA record holder. I had the pleasure of meeting Burt Monro live and in person.

12-18-057.jpg

bville1.jpg

bville.jpg

The guys name is Eric Nordlof. His car is in the Altered class which allows Nitrous. The 130 and 150 do not allow it. The record in his class is 151.594 mph. His runs were 1 mile long like ours. He seemed to have a better 1/4 mile numbers than final numbers. His best 1/4 mile was 100.01578 and best final was 98.093 mph. His NOS system was nice and simple, shooters right over the dual carbs, and air holes drilled into the right side of the hood with a tin funnel aimed at the carbs. Eric was happy to let us dig through his car and check out his set-up, BUT, he was definately focused on figure'n out his set-up.

48D