Fuel Economy

james49ply

I had a (long) conversation with George Ashe, also purchased two syncro rings from him one nice ol fellow, he was saying that his 53 with OD, twin carbs, cam, headers and shaved head gets 25MPG at 70mph. I was wondering what kind of fuel economy that those of you with muliple carbs are getting:confused: I am currently averaging 17-18 stock motor, running 55-65MPH. I would like to improve that to at least 22MPG:D I am re-gearing the old gal with 3.31:1 gears. Other than being a little thirsty she runs like a top and stays quiet the whole time, even the few times she gallops to 80 or so.:rolleyes: I would like to stay with single carb to keep her as origional as possible but would put dual or header on her if required. I was thinking of fuel injection, but the cost is a bit steep ($1100.00) and I would have to got electronic ignition. I have a 2001 Chevy, that constantly fails in the electronics,:mad: and drive the ol Plymouth because it has no damn computers in it!:cool:

Using a Tom Tom for corrected speed and mileage, I got about 17.5 mpg on a 100+ mile trip at speeds between 65 and 70 mph. (265 CI 25" block with factory dual carb and exhaust and 5 speed with 3:54 rear end and 16" tires). Need to replicate a few times to know for sure.

And I've been happy with the average of 15.2 MPG I've gotten over the last few years out of my massive 189.8 cu. in. engine pulling my non-aerodynamic pre-streamlined era car down the highway. It is, after all, a hobby car. My "everyday car" have been averaging over 45 MPG.

I have put more gas into the "hobby car" this year than into the "everyday car". :)