Fluid Drive or No Fluid Drive?

55 Fargo

I have a 47 Chrysler Royal Coupe, it would have come from the factory with a 251 6 cyl, 3spd trans, fluid drive and a 3.90 rear end.

In Canada, many such Royal models came this way, Windsors and the other models would have had a the M5 semi-auto trans and 3.54 diff.

My car has a 51 Canadian Dodge 218 long block 6 cyl Mopar flattie, 3 spd trans, and 3.73 rear end.

I have contemplated re-installing a fluid drive and clutch unit, 3 spd trans with long input shaft, to make the car more OEM like and to geta benefit of the fluid drive, especially around town driving.

I would have to move the rear motor mount cross member again, as well would have to use a longer clutch linkage push rod, I have these items though.

Now all is working well with my present set-up, the only thing it would be nicer with an OD trans.

Do you Guy's think I should leave well enough alone, or try and make this car a little more like stock in this department.

I am just having some "big ideas" today, and hopefully it will pass.................Fred

It`s up to you---lot of work for fluid drive---most would get rid of it if your objective is getting overdrive. If you put it in parts should not be a problem---myself I wouldn`t go thru all the work for just fluid drive. Good luck either way.............Lee

Yes it would bea bit of work, someitmes if it aint broke why fix it.

Going to an OD trans would be a very straight forward procedure, as compared to swapping back to fluid drive.

My car definately has more off the line, than a car with a fluid drive....Fred

I would stick with what you have. Lots of work to install the automatic transmission and lots of problems if it doesn't work.

Hi Jon, yes it would be work, but would not be going toa M5 semi-auto trans, but would have a fluid coupler and regular 3 spd trans, as what came in my car from the factory........Fred

if you know??? how many bolts in your crankshaft flange? does the crank have the right dish for the fluid drive? if not save your energy,,if it does you can go either way,,,your call. fluid drives are def. cool

hey this is Canada, all engines were 8 bolt cranks. The small Canadian Market dictated less variation, the only difference in my 218 and a 251 is the bore, and the stroke, the rest is the same engine........Fred

If you do all that remember to take a couple of wood blocks for when you park the car. I've got fluid drive in my '49 coronet and I wish they never invented it. I find its alleged benefits to be of no use. Wanta trade?

Okay, I am now convinced to leave things alone, without FD car has better off the line get up and go anyways........Fred