Any Desoto experts on the board?

vintage6t

Hi All

I don't post to this board too often but read almost every day. I'm familiar with old Mopars (had a 53 Cambridge, and currently a 50 biz coupe). I've just come across an 50 Desoto Convertible and have a chance to buy it. It's not something I was looking to buy and only have mild interest in it. Still I want to do some diligence and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this particular model. I've done some internet searching but only found very limited info.

Specifically I was wondering about price range and general desirability. This car is solid but is a project. The PO has it semi-disassembled (not a problem for me) and running condition of engine/trans is unknown. He has had the interior re-upholstered but did not install it. It would need paint, top, assembly and possibly mechanicals. Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

What Shel said........

Typically, it will never be worth what a Ford or Chevy will, even

when fixed up.

But they are neat cars. If the price is reasonable to you, you

can have some fun restoring it and certainly have a car you won't

see many of.

Here's a pretty one of those.....sold at an Iowa auction about 3 years

ago. Don't know what the price was, though.

deso5001a.jpg

Pretty nice looking car and verts are always desireable. What trans does it have? The Semi Auto. They can be needy but whork OK when set up right. Info on the Imperial club web repair area if you need to research the M6 clunk o matic. Or Tip Toe as the DeSoto Folks called them. Probably has the long block 251.

Thanks for the responses Guys.

I did see the auction car below and it's the only recent data point I have for price. It went for $18,500 for apparently a #4 car. Being an auction there was also a 10% buyer's fee. There's just not much info on the 50 convertibles that you can find on the web.

That data along with the older info from the price guide below is helpful in extrapolating a realistic a price range for what I'm looking at of $6K to $8K. The seller is pretty much in line with that without any serious negotiations and for whatever reasons he's interested in a partial trade for 65 V8 Valiant convertible I'm selling. So it's a definite maybe for me. I just need to decide if it's something I want to get into.

Also the car is a fluid drive.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave